What's new

Warner's 2008 Blu-Ray lineup (1 Viewer)

RonR

Stunt Coordinator
The first time I saw this movie was in 2004, can't wait for the BR!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Not true, i.e., the film elements were not "restored," as Robert Harris has elaborated on here in the past. It was a digital cleanup for SD resolution only. It does look good, but more work is required for a proper high-resolution release.*

EDIT: *Unless there was a later film restoration I'm not aware of, in which case I'll stand corrected.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

These are the titles that I am excited about. TNT showed the Wizard of Oz in HD this holiday season and it looked outstanding!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're right, even Warner has acknowledged that North by Northwest needs further work before it's release on HDM.

Crawdaddy

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Personal reaction only - I fully respect that other folks like some of the specific movies mentioned a lot, but frankly, it personally leaves me cold for the most part.

I don't think this is a list that overall has a great Wow! factor to it. And this is meant to be the highlights ...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here is the question and answer from last year's chat with Warner about North by Northwest.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Perhaps I misunderstood. I thought the question was, has the film been restored at all? The answer to which is yes it has. It was handled by Lowrey. 1080p it may not be.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
If they already knew back then they were aiming for a 2009 release (which could be nearly two years from now in the Fall of '09) then I'm sure it's been scheduled appropriately for restoration.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Latest Bits info is up.

Only new title for BD officially announced - Clash of the Titans.

Highlights of the article, IMO...

1) All catalog special edition will get day-and-date Blu-ray release going forward.

2) Concerns over lack of lossless sound on previous Blu-ray releases are being addressed.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Good summary, Brandon, however I thought that this bit was important as well:

That and the Dirty Harry films will not be released on HD DVD.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Those titles coming to BD isn't really new info, just reconfirmation of previous statements. (Of course, that's good. As we know, plans change, and it's good to know they haven't.)

As for Dirty Harry - look like I guessed right about there being no HD-DVD versions. I guess that means a June release if they are to make Q2 without HD-DVD releases.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
On the flip side of that news about classic catalog special editions getting day-and-date BD releases, any classic catalog film that is not a special edition and doesn't get a concurrent BD release will likely never get one, at least in the next 5-7 years. So for titles like the upcoming Errol Flynn Western Collection, one can feel "safe" buying the DVD knowing that a BD version is not around the corner.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Robert, Thank You for clarifing that for me. When I read the original question somehow I missed the word "full" in regards to the restoration. Please forgive if I came across like an ass. I thought I was fighting the good fight and all.:)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I will be all over Excalibur, and Forbidden Planet on Blu-ray. And that would be just the start! This will be good.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I see some good titles there and at least WB has given us some information so we know what's coming out.

Blu-ray.com - Updated Warner Release Slate for 2008 and Beyond
08Q1
  • Bonnie and Clyde: Ultimate Collector's Edition
08Q2
  • Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition Box Set (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer, Sudden Impact, Dead Pool, and Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows)
08Q3
  • An American in Paris
  • Batman Anthology
  • Batman Begins: Limited Collector's Edition Box Set
  • Gigi
  • How the West was Won
  • The Dark Night
08Q4
  • A Christmas Story: Ultimate Collector's Edition
  • Otis: Uncut
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Casablanca
  • Clash of the Titans
  • Excalibur
  • Forbidden Planet
  • Heat
  • Grand Prix
  • The Matrix Trilogy
  • Mutiny on the Bounty
  • V for Vendetta
  • Ben-Hur
  • Gone With the Wind
  • North by Northwest
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Woodstock
I will be all over Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition Box Set, Batman Anthology, How the West was Won, Forbidden Planet, Heat, Ben-Hur, Gone With the Wind and The Wizard of Oz. And depending on finances and what audio track is used for The Matrix, I might even double dip on that title? Actually at that point it might be considered a tripple dip if you consider the dvd's I purchased. ;) :crazy:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It looks like Warner is gonna continue to be my fav studio to buy from. They release the vintage films I desire. Furthermore, it sort'a appears that Sony is tryin' to keep up with the jones'es, well, Warners and release some older stuff. I hope that's a trend anyway.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I find it hard to believe that The Dark Knight, which is being released in theaters in July, willbe out on video a mere two months later (Q3 only goes through the end of September).

The Digital Bits only said that Heat is getting a new transfer supervised by Michael Mann. I don't think that means that it is guaranteed a release this year.

Also, I don't know why they need to re-release A Christmas Story, but whatever.

I will be gladly buying the following:

Bonnie & Clyde
Dirty Harry (hopefully I can get just the first film by itself)
Batman (also hopefully by itself)
Batman Returns (ditto)
Batman Begins
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Casablanca
Forbidden Planet
Heat
The Matrix Trilogy
Ben-Hur
Gone with the Wind
North by Northwest
The Wizard of Oz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks