What's new

WarnerArchive.com to release: Maverick, 77 Sunset Strip, Bourboun Street Beat et al (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I think there are plenty of people interested especially in tv product. I hope they do not scrap this, just work out some kinks is all

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well sure ... on bootleg.

Most of us in this forum have tested those waters and found them murky, polluted, and unethical (like ticket scalpers). Not to mention, crappy video and audio. We hold out for the official (and hopefully remastered) releases with the patience of Job.

Originally Posted by calicokid

[SIZE= larger]I have the entire series of 77 Sunset Strip,Hawiian eye,The FbI,Burkes Law,Perrymason,Richard Diamond,12 O'Clock High,Man From Uncle,Petticoat Junction,Our Miss Brooks,Highway Patrol,The Fugitive,Amos 'n Andy,Seahunt and a host of others.
I wish I could send you some.
[/SIZE]

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
I sure wish we had word as to when or if Warner Archive is actually releasing the TV series to DVDR. So far it has been movies. Some fine movies to be sure, but I am waiting for word as to when they plan to release the TV series. Will we have to wait until next year?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

I sure wish we had word as to when or if Warner Archive is actually releasing the TV series to DVDR. So far it has been movies. Some fine movies to be sure, but I am waiting for word as to when they plan to release the TV series. Will we have to wait until next year?

Based on their pricing for films that run 90 or so minutes, I couldn't imagine any scenario where the Archive program could release TV shows at a reasonable cost. If they are using standard DVDR's then you can only expect about 2 hours worth of content on each disc. And if they are currently charging $20 per dvd, think about how expensive one season of a WB show like 77 Sunset Strip would be. I don't know how they could make this work with their current financial model.

Gary "I'd love to see plenty of the WB shows on dvd - but I'm just not sure how it would work using the present system" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Gary OS

And if they are currently charging $20 per dvd, think about how expensive one season of a WB show like 77 Sunset Strip would be. I don't know how they could make this work with their current financial model.
You pay about $20 for a regular release of a movie on one disc but you don't pay $120 for a regular TV release that is six discs and I think the same logic will apply when/if Warners releases TV shows as part of their Archive program. I think that the prices for TV shows will be on the high end ($50 or $60) but they won't be $20 a disc either.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Originally Posted by TravisR

You pay about $20 for a regular release of a movie on one disc but you don't pay $120 for a regular TV release that is six discs and I think the same logic will apply when/if Warners releases TV shows as part of their Archive program. I think that the prices for TV shows will be on the high end ($50 or $60) but they won't be $20 a disc either.
That is the way I see it as well. Plus we may get some special codes that would reduce the price every so often.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by TravisR

Well, I hope you are right. But think about this. The Archive program, at least up to this point, is not pressing regular dvds. They are using DVD-R media that they burn, and those generally only hold about 2 hours worth of solid video quality. If you have a show like 77 Sunset Strip that was a hour long and had 34 episodes in its 1st Season run then you are talking about 17 DVD-R's. To get that for only $50 would mean you are asking them to do all the work for only about $3 per disc. I just don't see that happening. You have to look at how many discs they are going to need to complete a season set using this type of media. Even if you squeeze 3 hours on to each disc (which I don't think would look good) you still have to use over 10 DVD-R discs to get it done!

The type of media they have to use with burn on demand is the problem here, IMHO. I just don't see any way that can be overcome where a season set, for a 60 minute show, is going to only cost $50 or even $60.

Gary "again, I hope I'm wrong on this point because I'd love to see some of those WB shows from the 50's and 60's" O.

LizH

Second Unit
"Oxford Blues" ...

Amanda Pays goodness ... This is good.

How about releasing Max Headroom?

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Does Warner own Max Headroom? That would be a good series from the 80s to put out. But I really want to see the 50 and 60 classic series. FBI, 77 Sunset Strip, Bronco, etc, etc. Come on Warner get on the ball.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yes, they own Max Headroom. Not something I'm interested in but I'm sure it has it's fans. I can see them eventually going into the TV end of it, certainly at least with shows that they have existing tape transfers on which won't cost them anything to make DVDRs of. Which for me would rule out the series that I want from them - short-lived sitcoms like Hank, Many Happy Returns, The Little People and Adam's Rib. But I'm sure those who are looking for the more popular titles like Maverick, etc., will probably get their wish at some point.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Right. Since they already have tapes for the older series that they send to Encore Westerns and Encore Mystery, etc. then we should see them eventually.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
I wonder if TV is a low priorty for the Archive as they have so many Films,Shorts and TV Movies to release.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by DeWilson

I wonder if TV is a low priorty for the Archive as they have so many Films,Shorts and TV Movies to release.

TV has always been treated as the red-headed step child. That's why we have dozens of networks showing uncut, remastered movies from the beginning of cinema but no network devoted exclusively to classic TV, uncut or otherwise. Its why DVD companies wouldn't dare routinely release films with parts missing and music changed or edited out but it occurs with regularity on TV releases. Its why even a poorly run company like Fox makes sure to remaster its movie library while their pre-1990 TV library lays in disarray. So, yes, I would forsee Warner prioritizing its 50, 75 and 100 year old films over their most popular unreleased TV shows.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

TV has always been treated as the red-headed step child. That's why we have dozens of networks showing uncut, remastered movies from the beginning of cinema but not network devoted exclusively to classic TV, uncut or otherwise. Its why DVD companies wouldn't dare routinely release films with parts missing and music changed or edited out but it occurs with regularity on TV releases. Its why even a poorly run company like Fox makes sure to remaster its movie library while their pre-1990 TV library lays in disarray. So, yes, I would forsee Warner prioritizing its 50, 75 and 100 year old films over their most popular unreleased TV shows.

I couldn't agree more, Neil. Until I see Warner Archives diving into their vault emerging with vintage TV series at affordable prices I'm not going to believe we will see it on a large scale. Heck, I don't think we'll see it on even a small scale. TV shows have never, and probably will never, get the priority films do. It's just one of those sad facts of life.

Gary "hope you guys haven't been holding your breath for those classic WB shows since the inception of this thread - just kidding" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
What I'm not happy about with Warner Archive, is that they're only shipping to the US. So for example, Lace and Lace II are being released, which are two titles I've wanted to see on DVD for a while now, but as I'm from the UK I miss out on being able to purchase them on the Warner Archive website.

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

What I'm not happy about with Warner Archive, is that they're only shipping to the US. So for example, Lace and Lace II are being released, which are two titles I've wanted to see on DVD for a while now, but as I'm from the UK I miss out on being able to purchase them on the Warner Archive website.
I agree with you. I was really excited when I read that both Awakening Land and Scruples were being released, but as I live in Canada, i too am unable to purchase these two DVD titles from their website. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Hey, neighbors from up north & across the pond: Try to network here and use a US contact friend via PM and you'll most likely find somone willing to order the DVD's on your behalf and then ship them to your address. As for me, I'm waiting for a coupon or deal before I order "Scruples" from the archive site.

Neil, Gary: Agree 100% about your TV/DVD & movie comparison. I've posted similar opinions here for several years. I'm convinced that it's the reason we haven't seen the TV/DVD mkt handled like the classic film mkt.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
Plus both Amazon and Deep Discount sites are carrying the Archive titles now. So you can order from them.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

Plus both Amazon and Deep Discount sites are carrying the Archive titles now. So you can order from them.
My last order apparently was fulfilled by Deep Discount, although I placed the order at the WB Store website. The return address on the package is the DD address in Illinois.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks