What's new

Warner-When will the best actor/actress titles come out ? (1 Viewer)

FrankXS

Second Unit
Warner has done a great job with their releases. Just about all the best picture movies are available....maybe just 1930's Cimarron from RKO. But where are the best actor/actress titles such as Spencer Tracy's Captain's Courageous and Boys'Town,Luise Rainer's The Good Earth, Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle, Jane Wyman's Johnny Belinda, Bette Davis in Dangerous, Min and Bill's Marie Dressler, Gary Cooper in Sergeant York, Victor McLaglen in The Informer, Paul Lukas in Watch on the Rhine, Paul Muni's Story of Louis Pasteur, Wallace Beery in The Champ, Lionel Barrymore's Free Soul, Katharine Hepburn's Morning Glory and Norma Shearer's The Divorcee.

Maybe a box set of Best Actors and one of Best Actresses.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I still want more Elizabeth Taylor. Warner said last year at the HTF chat that The Sandpiper was coming, but I have yet to see it. I also want upgraded special editions of National Velvet, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?

Andy

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Frank, I totally agree with you.
I have said before that WB should put the Best Actors and Actresses pictures on dvd.
I've been waiting for most of them, specially for Johnny Belinda, Boys Town and Kitty Foyle.
But since we're talking about WB, I guess it's just a matter of time.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Rafael
Thanks for the post. I can only imagine the problems George Feltenstein goes through trying to decide which of the titles to put out with the many 1000's they have in their vaults. What an endless feast.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Deciding what titles to bring out on DVD is less a function of making a list, and more of querying what is available as far as replication elements on these films. Generally, the studio must first inventory, locate, inspect and then either restore or manufacture elements.

I don't think Mr. F has much free time.

RAH

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd most like to see a Paul Muni set. Some more Ronald Colman would be nice, particularly The Prisoner of Zenda and A Tale of Two Cities.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
More 1930's Clark Gable films would be nice.
San Francisco
Manhattan Melodrama
Red Dust
Too Hot To Handle
Test Pilot
Idiot's Delight

to name but a few.

Randi

Stunt Coordinator
More Joan Crawford definitely! Also a Myrna Loy/William Powell set.

Miss Randi

FrankXS

Second Unit
With people chipping in with comments about all the signature type sets they would like...is it time for another HTF chat with George Feltenstein and his crew from Warners.
Does any one of the HTF people have an answer to this ?

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I agree.

With mentions of "China Seas" and "Red Dust" from a few people here, why don't they simply issue a Harlow/Gable signature collection? they made five (six, if you count the gangster drama "The Secret Six") films together which would make an interesting collection. In Fact, the lack of Jean Harlow films on DVD is baffling to say the least (I know many Gwen Stefani fans now asking for Harlow films on dvd). I know "Libeled lady" and "Dinner at Eight" are coming, but they are really ensemble films in which Harlow was a bit player. Let's get some real Harlow in the house...I'm talking pre-code Harlow like Red-Headed Woman, Bombshell, and Girl from Missouri. She laid the path for the likes of Marilyn Monroe and Lana Turner and definitely deserves to be better represented on DVD. Rant over.

Reg

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan

I've been wondering this myself, actually. They were hands down the top studio in 2004 in terms of DVD release, in my opinion.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Are any of the moderators able to answer the question of any future HTF CHATS with Warner or Fox or any other studio ? Please keep us up to date. They are always interesting evenings.
Thanks HTF .

DaveK

Second Unit

I agree. In fact I think they should have two sets. One for the 6 Thin Man movies, and another set for their other movies together.

Anyone have a list of what they are?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks