What's new

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006 (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What bothers me, is that with the current box set packagings... it's going to be very difficult to convince me to sacrifice all the other films and wonderful packaging for a single chosen title of the list that's a candidate for BD release. I suspect that I'll be picking these all up in S-DVD for now... though that again means a more expensive purchase down the line.

As much as I'd love to see 'What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?' in high-definition, I am not going to start buying doubles of these films in order to have the entire Davis box set and than a seperate version in high-definition.

This is the sort of thing that has me worried about the viability of the next generation formats. Theor approach is not convenient at all.

Why not just offer everything that's being released, in both optional S-DVD and HD/BD formats, boxsets and all? :angry:

I find this extremely frustrating when you think of all the back catalogue releases and exciting upcoming sets... how are we ever going to get started in BD if the studios approach titles as such... offering a deluxe 5-disc box set and than releasing onyl a single seperate title in high-def?

What's the point?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
this is where the problem is going to happen with the multi day to day releases,
is it going to end up buying the box then going back to get the HD or BD release, and switching them out in your boxsets?

Reason i say this is the double dip, for xmas i got Mac Queen set from MGM, also got 2 disc Great escape, what i have done is go to game-stop and sale the single, now the 2D set is in the box, sort of a make your own.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member

I've never seen the movie, but I know that it's Ball of Fire, from 1941. I'm not sure that Warners owns this one.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Well, out of what's been announced so far.. truly excited about "Grand Prix", "Naked Spur", "Lady in the Lake", "Sergeant York", and "Baby Face".

I really want to know if "On Dangerous Ground" will be released as one of the noir titles this year..if not I'll pull the trigger on a other region version.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
That was one of the questions that i posted in my response above, it was originally released on dvd by HBO, Samuel Goldwyn company, released theatrically by RKO, directed by Hawks, i would love to see WB jump all over this title

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: There goes my Looney Tunes question out the window. I certainly hope they change their mind about that.

Charles H

Screenwriter
BALL OF FIRE was one of the early dvds brought out by HBO. The Goldwyn films were later picked up by MGM/UA, and BALL OF FIRE was once announced by MGM (they even did the artwork) but never released. I thought that Sony controlled the Goldwyn library via their buyout of MGM, but now I am not so certain after they abruptly cancelled KID MILLIONS in December. I notice that TCM has been/will be showing a lot of rare Goldwyn films recently (some very rare, like the 1940 RAFFLES), thus I wonder if WB might actually own them. Be on the lookout for A SONG IS BORN, the 1947 Danny Kaye remake of BALL OF FIRE. Musically, it is quite interesting (with Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman (as one of the professors), Tommy Dorsey) and is also directed by Howard Hawks.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
well we have a Tennessee Williams collection on the horizon, i am wondering if they are planning a Dashiell Hammett collection as well , three titles listed fall into that category minus the thin man??

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Bobby Jordan was not only an East Side Kid, he was one of the original Dead End Kids as well.

Put this in your "rumor mill" file, but I've heard a whisper that the mega Superman collection, besides the Christopher Reeves films, will indeed include the two Kirk Alyn serials -- and the 17 Max Fleischer/Famous Studios cartoons.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

I believe that is because the one with George Reeves , Superman and the Mole Men is included on the adventures of Superman Season sets as of right now,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Man, nearly every title sounds like a must buy!!

These box sets sound just too excellent.

I was going to pass on the Superman set, but, if it has the serials (I'm a sucker for serials) and the toons, I mgiht go for it. They are usually priced right.

Awesome news! THANK YOU WARNERS!

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Y'all can thank me for the Dirty Dozen SE, seeing as I just bought the current disc a couple weeks ago. Grrr.

The Warner Tough Guys Collection - featuring 'G' Men (1935), Bullets or Ballots (1936), San Quentin (1937), A Slight Case of Murder (1938), Each Dawn I Die (1939) and City for Conquest (1940) Or as someone in another forum called it, "Cagney/Robinson Part II".

A non-public domain release of the Fleisher Supermans :emoji_thumbsup:

If I have to buy 13 other discs to get them :thumbsdown:

Charles H

Screenwriter
Edward G. was a terrific comic, and he was great at spoofing his tough guy personna. A SLIGHT CASE OF MURDER is a wonderful film, but so is LARCENY, INC. from an S.J. Perelman play with a great cast (Jane Wyman, Jack Carson, Anthony Quinn, Jackie Gleason, Broderick Crawford). Hope that one day Sony will bring out John Ford's THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING with Edward G in a dual comic role from a story by W.R. Burnett (LITTLE CAESAR).

I'm working the night of the forum chat, but I'd appreciate it if someone asked about CAGED, THE LOVED ONE, and THE STORY OF MANKIND.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

So, are Looney Tunes off the table cause they're cartoons or on the table cause they're theatrical releases?

Hopefully some clarification will be made, and hopefully it will be that we can ask questions about Looney Tunes.

M

Member 323668

I'd love to see Edward G. Robinson in Warner's "Hell on Frisco Bay" (1955). Haven't seen this for a very long time. Never runs on TV here.

Also, what about "Illegal" (1955)?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Besides the issue of the handful of DVNR/interlaced cartoons on Looney Tunes Vol. 2, I don't think we could ask anything.

Also, it would be a bad idea to ask about the "banned" cartoons like Coal Black or Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips. There's a very real risk that they'd take serious flack for including them, so let's not put them in the position of revealing while they'd still have time to drop them off the release. If we don't find out until the normal press release, they can't justify re-pressing to soothe the PC's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks