What's new

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

as per the Bits, 2001 is coming.
personally, i can't wait till they bust out a Barry Lyndon HD edition.

lots of great stuff i'm looking forward to finally getting (like Dirty Dozen) after passing on lackluster first editions that have been loitering on the shelves for what seems like forever- and even better, i can just go straight to the HD version.

i wonder if the day and date paradigm will also work retroactively with some SEs that are missing the launch date, like the Controversial collection?

Shame Lust For Life looks like it will take a while to make it to HD (but its still great to finally have it in some halfway decent form)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Since Warners told us last year to expect the two Kirk Alyn serials, SUPERMAN (1948) and ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN (1950), I wouldn't be at all s'prised to find them as part of that Superman mega-set.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

During the last HTF Warner chat I recall hearing that they'd release all 48 Bowery Boys films this year. Hope that's still a go.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
from a previous chat they also indicated 2006 would see a 25th ann SE of Body Heat, so it would appear that that title is a good bet for an HD release as well.

it would be truly great if they could kick out an SE for Outland (also it's 25th Ann) so that i could finally add that title to my collection (and it would be great to go from nothing to HD in one swoop).

and although i don't have a problem with the current edition, an HD version of Boormans Excalibur would certainly be something to get excited about (and its another film having its 25 ths ann this year).

in fact, is't there a Boorman box set with Deliverance coming anyway?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Regarding the upcoming chat, Warner will not answer any inquiries about HD product or non-theatrical releases.

Crawdaddy

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Oh my god, this year will be pretty expensive. With 52 Box-sets coming, I have to sleep in the hall to make room for all the DVD's. Two thumbs way up for Warner.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
No Blade Runner SE this year I guess. Maybe in 07? That way they can slap on the 'ol 25th anniversary label and sell more copies. :crazy:

14 discs for the Superman films? A little overkill maybe? Hopefully the first 2 with all the alternate cuts and extra content will be available separately.

Anyway. Lots of great stuff but my hightlights are:

:emoji_thumbsup:

StevenFC

Second Unit
Here was my question from last year:

Do you think I'm a happy man? I'm not even worried about the other ones. I have no doubt that they'll come out eventually. So many titles and hi-def besides in '06--what can I say? Warner Home Video...damn!!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm looking forward to all of the new Elizabeth Taylor DVDs that will be coming out this year! I wonder if the WB opts to do a new Virginia Woolf? DVD, if they will try to get Dame Elizabeth's involvement in it! I know she isn't in the best of health, but its her favourite of all her films and she may be inclined to participate. Same goes for a new National Velvet. It would be great to get Lansbury, Taylor and Rooney's involvement.

Andy

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
The first two Superman discs would be good enough for me if I can pick them up separately. I don't know that I need 14-discs worth of Superman stuff.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Stagecoach...The Searchers...The Maltese Falcon...Forbidden Planet...The Informer...Baby Face...Kubrick SEs...*faints.
Warner is GOD.
:D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yes! The Tough Guys collection is awesome! I've been hoping for G-Men and Each Dawn I Die, and here they are! The only two titles I'm not seeing that I want are Oklahoma Kid and The Big Shot, and I'm sure Warner's will get to them before too long.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
interesting caveat to the chat about not answering HD centric queries.

sounds like HD will be only mentioned in passing if at all.
thats going to temper my enthusiasm for the chat to be sure.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm less excited than in the past about the new editions (I'm not ready to go HD, so do I want to upgrade to a new dvd when I may go HD in a year or two?), but I'm very excited about some first time titles:

Passage to Marseille
Action in the North Atlantic
Across the Pacific
Eyes Wide Shut (first time done right on dvd)
The Long, Long Trailer

Those are all titles I asked about in previous Warner chats, and while I don't know if that had one iota to do with them getting released, I'd like to think so. :)

I second that!

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
No mention of O Lucky Man, although Warners said in their last chat that they were "looking at it". I hope it hasn't disappeared from their release schedule completely.

But it's an awesome list of titles. If only Paramount could do even half as much with their back-catalog titles (Ace In The Hole would be a good start).

Joe:C

Second Unit
Wow, Donners Superman II and the fabled Blade Runner special edition!! Is the lost spider pit sequence from King Kong going to suddenly turn up in someone's basement?

I'm impressed by that list of titles. Looks like 2006 is going to be a great year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks