What's new

Warner Unveils Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Agreed. I watched this the other night on LD, which looks pretty good, but a DVD would be welcomed.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

...and take out a loan.

I wonder when they're going to start this blow-out? They only released one set in January, and so far as I know Controversial Classics II is the only one for February, so they need to average five per month for the rest of the year.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Incredible. What great news. Hopefully a list pops up soon. I am particularly excited about the budget line of double features. This is an ideal way for the many great B-movies in their catalog to get released.

I wonder how the other studios will react (ramp up their own efforts or just throw in the towel).

Thanks to Ron for alerting us to the 2/21 date :)

Steve (calling my banker to arrange for a line of credit to be payable directly to WHV) :)

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
A list will be up on The DigitalBits sometime today according to Bill Hunt.

Nevermind the Oscars,the wait is excruciating!!
(and so will be the WHV chat.)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
There are literally HUNDREDS of films that I would buy on DVD that Warner has in their vast film library so I'm so happy that Warner does such a great job in getting its catalog titles onto DVD.

I'm hoping that The Devils ends up on their schedule for 2006.

M

Member 323668

No folks, the following post is NOT off-topic in this forum, altough it concerns Region 2 primarily.

Warner Germany plans to release 127 catalog titles in 2006 in Germany, too. They call the intiative "Finally on DVD". I presume all these titles will be available in the US market soon.

Starting with 10 classic titles like "Three Musketeers" and "Kim", the series continues with titles like "The Picture of Dorian Gray", "Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean", "Battle Beyond the Stars", "Marseille Contract", "Quo Vadis", "Kaleidoscope", "Any Wednesday", "Gentleman Jim", "Bombers B-52", "The Double Man".... (just to name a few).

Now the bad and shocking news:

None of January's releases got a decent transfer. Contrary to Warner's policy so far, they used about 20+ year old Turner masters for authoring the DVD. Absolutely abysmal quality! There is a huge outrage on German DVD forums...

Be very careful about the quality of "Warner's Aggressive Catalog Initiative for 2006". You never know and end up with the same crap they started to release here in Germany. Bare-bones from shabby old video masters....

Open letter to George Feltenstein - (remains unanswered) extract from Germany's DVD forum cinefacts.de (edited)

Any "moral support" for the German DVD community greatly appreciated! ;)

Dear George Feltenstein,
Dear Ned Price,

first of all, please let me express my honest appreciation for giving us all those wonderful releases from Warner's classic catalog.

Now I was totally shocked seeing Warner Germany releasing 127 classic Warner/Turner titles in absolutely abysmal quality.

George, you have been with "MGM/UA Home Video" 20 years ago. You certainly know the old Turner D2 or D1 masters and the even older analog masters. You know how bad they look on DVD, marred with color-bleeding, contrast problems and awful aliasing! (not to speak of lacking original english soundtracks , lacking OAR and anamorphic enhancement of widescreen titles)

Could you believe, Warner Germany has put these 20+ year old masters on DVD for Warner's German releases? On two DVD titles you even see your well known "ancient" "MGM/UA Home Video" logo at the beginning. A NIGHTMARE! The buyers' reaction and media response is desasterous!

Please put your German VP on a leash! He is not only ruining Warner's good name and reputation, he is totally disappointing movie fans here in Germany, waiting patiently to get these classic gems on DVD format. Please put pressure on those people responsible, to do it right with getting-their-release-soon titles, like "Logan's Run", "Cheyenne Autumn", "Quo Vadis", "Westworld", the "Crimson Pirate".....

Rob T

Screenwriter
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for the Gable and Bogart sets . I hope they do not included anything that has already been released unless they are improved editions like a 2 disc Maltese Falcon.
So here is hoping that Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Treasure Of the Sierra Madre, and Mutiny On the Bounty are not included in the signature sets for Gable and Bogart.

Didn't Warner recently restore footage to "Baby Face" ?
It was not included the last time the film was on TCM.
Hopefully it will be included on the DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Whatever WHV has scheduled, I know there will be plenty of gems to pick from. The Maltese Falcon is an interesting choice for an early HD title, so they probably have an incredible-looking HD remaster.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Variety/Video Business is also reporting today that we will see 2 Disc SE's (DVD and HD DVD) in 2006 of:

The Searchers (June)
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
Eyes Wide Shut (Uncut Version!)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
Mutiny on the Bounty
The Maltese Falcon
The Gay Divorcee
Footlight Parade
Grand Prix
Knute Rockne All American
Forbidden Planet

This is in addition to the 14 Disc Superman Collection

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ElijahS

Supporting Actor

Holy crap. Okay, what could be included for 14 discs?

Superman: The Movie (2 Disc Special Edition)
Superman II (2 Disc Special Edition)
Superman II: Director's Cut (2 Disc Special Edition)
Superman III (2 Disc Special Edition)
Superman IV: The Quest For Peace (2 Disc Special Edition)
Supergirl (2 Disc Special Edition)

And depending on the time of year it's released:
Superman Returns (2 Disc Special Edition)

All guesses.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Footlight Parade? Isn't that part of the Berkeley DVD set?

If this set is going to be released almost similtaneous with HD-DVD maybe I shouldn't get the DVD set.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I hope Warner decides to re-release some of their full screen only comedies in widescreen on DVD this year, specifically:

Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
Spies Like Us
Funny Farm

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

So looks like a new Kubrick boxset. Although I'd much rather see a 2-disc SE of 2001 than The Shining.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Per Ron's request, let's leave such questions out of this discussion. Three weeks from today if the right question is asked, we will get some answers from Warner.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks