What's new

Warner To Release The Adventures of Robin Hood, Grand Prix, Dirty Dozen - Sept 26th (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WARNER HOME VIDEO TO RELEASE
RECORD TEN HIGH DEFINITION
MEDIA TITLES SEPTEMBER 26

Burbank, California (August 30, 2006) – On September 26, Warner Home Video -- continuing to take the leadership role in the introduction of next generation home viewing -- debuts 10 High Definition titles, the most any studio has released on a single day. Coming to Blu-ray will be Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride, Swordfish, Space Cowboys, Lethal Weapon 2, The Fugitive and House of Wax. Making their HD DVD debuts are The Dirty Dozen, Grand Prix, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and The Adventures of Robin Hood. All titles will be available for $28.99 SRP. All bonus materials on the Standard Definition versions of these titles will be included on the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc versions.

Special Notes
Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride makes its high definition debut in the Blu-ray format…Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines’ IME (In-Movie Experience) will feature director Jonathan Mostow taking fans on a journey to the heart of the T3 experience… Bugs Bunny and Ultra-Resolution come to DVD! The Adventures of Robin Hood, restored with Warner’s patented Ultra-Resolution process, will look especially terrific… as will three Looney Tunes, marking the first High Definition release of Looney Tunes, or any classic animation.

About the Blu-ray Movies
Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride - Set in a 19th century European village, this stop-motion animated feature follows the story of Victor (voiced by Johnny Depp), a young man who is whisked away to the underworld and wed to a mysterious Corpse Bride, while his real bride, Victoria, waits bereft in the land of the living. Though life in the Land of the Dead proves to be a lot more colorful than his strict Victorian upbringing, Victor learns that there is nothing in this world, or the next, that can keep him away from his one true love.

Swordfish is a suspenseful and action-packed story of the world’s best computer hacker (Hugh Jackman) becoming entangled in a cyber-heist masterminded by a charismatic mystery man (John Travolta). The daring theft of a government slush fund (code-named Swordfish) becomes a high-stakes game of life and death that keeps everyone guessing until the end.

Space Cowboys - Clint Eastwood’s rocket-powered action hit stars Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland and James Garner as the bravest, boldest and fastest test pilots this country had to offer. Now, more than four decades later, a Russian satellite has suffered a systems failure and it’s up to the four outdated heroes to finally go into space with the hopes of fixing a piece of equipment that’s every bit as outdated as they are.
Lethal Weapon 2 - Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are at it again (with more than four added minutes) in this blockbuster sequel. Joe Pesci makes his first appearance in the series as Leo (“OK, OK”) Getz.

The Fugitive, which stars Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones is the box-office hit and Best picture Oscar® -nominated motion picture based on the long-running TV series about a surgeon falsely accused of killing his wife.

House of Wax (2005) - Six friends’ road trip to a big college football game takes a turn for the worse when they’re sidetracked into an eerie backwater town. Once there, they’re drawn to the town’s main attraction – Trudy’s House of Wax, filled with wax-coated corpses. The kids must find a way out before they too become permanent exhibits.

HD DVDs
The Dirty Dozen - Lee Marvin portrays tough-as-nails Major John Reisman, assigned to command a squad of misfits on a suicide mission against Nazi brass on the eve of D-Day in occupied France. With no other chance for redemption, this group of convicts, psychos, lunkheads and losers will earn their freedom -- IF they can survive.

Grand Prix was shot in stunning locations throughout France, Italy, Monaco, England and Belgium at a series of races, winding up at the British Grand Prix, where glory awaits one champion and tragedy another. The film also offers a rare glimpse inside the Ferrari factory in Maranello, Italy.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines - Arnold Schwarzenegger dons his trademark shades and leather jacket to return as a time-traveling T-101 Terminator in this smash hit directed by Jonathan Mostow. He’s back to protect youthful Earth Resistance leader John Connor (Nick Stahl) and an unsuspecting veterinarian (Claire Danes) who’s stunned to learn her destiny is linked with Connor.

The Adventures of Robin Hood - This lavish, fast-paced version of the Robin Hood legend won three Academy Awards® (Best Film Editing, Interior Decoration and Original Score). Doing many stunts himself, Errol Flynn is at his athletic, romantic best in a role originally intended for James Cagney. Olivia de Havilland (Maid Marian), as well as consummate screen villains Basil Rathbone and Claude Rains round out the all-star cast.

Warner Home Video HD DVDs and Blu-ray Discs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The new formats also provide a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu-bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Nice! Please let all the extras and mono track get ported over for the HD-DVD release of Adventures of Robin Hood. A TrueHD track on T3 would be nice, but it looks unlikely at this point.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
WOO-HOOOOO!!!
Huge day coming up :D.
Hell, I may get all 4 HD DVDs (never seen Grand Prix)- will definitely be getting the other three without question though.
Can't Wait- though unfortunately I'll have to as just like 2003 when Robin Hood came out in sd, I'll be on the road until end of Oct.
Robin Hood is fantastic news, but I think I'm most excited by Dirty Dozen, because like the Searchers, it's a title I've wanted to have in my collection for years but have always passed on the original release and have been patiently waiting since the remaster came out months ago. Its going to be a real thrill seeing this again.
so I should have a nice huge box from Amazon waiting for me when I get back (assuming they get their act together anytime soon, and we can actually start pre-ordering these things.)

interesting that Corpse Bride is coming out on Bd first- will probably become the reference title for that format for some time.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm definitely getting Robin Hood. I hope it isn't as hard to buy as The Searchers was. I hope some outlets, like Busted Buy, don't decide not to carry Robin Hood because it's too old or whatever their rationale is...? I want T3 too. I'm sure it'll be easy to buy.....

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Sept. 26th is going to be a great day for High Def movies! ROBIN HOOD is, IMHO, the best adventure film ever made. And the other titles are all worthy, too.

I'm sure that will be very temporary.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Almost a "full" month in advance notice!!!
Ten HD disc titles by "one" studio!!!
CB in HD!!!

CB, was my pick for best PQ on the HD DVD Demo Disc.
I know, I know, Kong, Kong, Kong!
However, as good as the detail was/is on the Kong clip, The 3D effect on the CB bit was the best I've ever seen.

Bring on, the CGI 3D animation titles, quick!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Wow, this is a first. ALL of the HD DVD titles in this release are titles I want to own.

Grand Prix is not a particularly good movie--the story is pretty much a soap opera--but director John Frankenheimer did a legendary job of shooting the race footage, some utterly incredibly camera positions and shots, particularly for 1966. Plus, this was shot 70mm in six-track magnetic sound, so it could be a real HD DVD demo disc if the transfer is good.

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
I'd love Robin Hood but I don't know if I'll see much advantage with it pillar boxed on my measly 34" HDTV. That title makes me wish I had a projector. Probably keep my regular DVD, of course I could just buy it to show support for older films on the format.

I still have the DVD of T3 unopened and unwatched. On the fence on this. I saw it in the theater and don't hate it like a lot of Terminator fans. In fact I think it has a great and satisfying ending.

Dirty Dozen will be a definite buy. I've never seen Grand Prix but I'm curious.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
The Man Room has the back of these announced Blu-Ray movies available for viewing. Looks like these Blu-Ray titles are not barebones and will have special features. Could this mean that these are VC1 encoded? I think so. Let the direct comparisons begin!

No DD+, TrueHD or IME though, so HD-DVD will continue to get my hard earned money even if these and future titles are VC1 encoded.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
It's encouraging to see Warner putting titles out on HD DVD that are a little bit older than the majority of titles out there right now.

Robin Hood...sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

I doubt that since Corpse Bride was on the original HD DVD demo disc as "coming soon to HD DVD" that ran at BB for several months.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hey, I just like complaining. I know it will be out sooner or later on HD DVD, but would prefer sooner. Meanwhile, yes, I'll be getting Robin Hood. And the others.

- Steve

Michael Boyd

Second Unit
Just pre-ordered Grand Prix, Robin Hood, and Dirty Dozen at Amazon.

I was on the fence about Grand Prix since I've never seen it, but I was sold when I noticed it had Toshiro Mifune in it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Robin Hood already looked great on the sd-dvd....really looking forward to this classic on HD-DVD. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
do you have a link to the hd dvd version of grand prix and dirty dozen. i havent found them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks