What's new

Warner: Thank you for the classics on Blu-ray, but....... (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Agreed on this.

I also have little-to-no desire to spend big $$$ on all the space-wasting, "fancy" extra stuff that don't reside on the discs themselves. I'm fine w/ paying a small premium for on-disc extras of real substance -- though not the kind of fluff that often passes for extras.

I will continue to pass on these super-duper, gift box releases and wait for the (hopefully) eventual disc-only releases.

I'm not a fan of the Digibook format either, but even that would be fine w/ me (as long as it doesn't come w/ a big premium on price) -- I've even gone about preparing for such purchases by buying some BD blank cases now. :P

_Man_

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to purchase Casablanca, Oz and GWTW and several hundred other classic films on Blu-ray but not at $60-$80 a pop. I don't appreciate the gouging tactic of exclusive pricey boxed sets full of junk I have no desire or use for. There's no valid reason that I'm aware of to not offer disc-only releases of these films.

As much as I'd like to own and enjoy these in High def I'll continue to stick to my principles like I did for Casablanca and will be passing on Oz and GWTW which is unfortunate.

Shawn.F

Supporting Actor
I would love to own Wizard of Oz, Woodstock and Gone With the Wind, but when I saw those prices, I thought otherwise. The sets look nice (I have Casablanca, which is really nice), but consumers should really have the option of buying the title as a disc-only edition. If I can find these titles for half price, I'll nab them. Otherwise, no thanks.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I too agree about the pricing. I will never spend $50+ on any movie - regardless of the "extras." I really hope Warner releases these titles as "movie-only" versions at their typically pricing.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

I agree with that.

My big problem with the proposed packages of GWTW and Oz is that they are horizontal and therefore will not fit with the rest of my DVDs and BDs. They're like that Planet of the Apes horizontal box that I can't put with the other "P" titles. The Casablanca box may be bloated, but at least I can put it among the "C" titles.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
It breaks my heart, but I don't own CASABLANCA on Blu-ray, and won't until Warner releases it without all the bling. Same goes for the Apes set, which similarly breaks my heart. And the same will go for OZ, which equally breaks my heart. It's a space issue, since my shelves are pretty much filled, but it's moreso a MONEY issue. I'm skipping regularly-priced titles left and right, for God's sake, so I certainly can't afford these over-the-top boxed sets.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I noticed that both, The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind were among Amazon's "Best Seller on Blu-ray" earlier this weekend and both titles still don't have a release date yet. Of course, those that preordered them could also cancel them in the future.

Crawdaddy

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I really just want a normal release of these 2 films and Casablanca. All this crap included means nothing to me.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I don't mind a multi-disc set, and I don't mind paying $5-$10 more for a special edition that's really special, but I don't need/want a fancy box that won't fit on my shelf with the rest of my discs. And if that's the only way to buy my film, the disc better have it's own "real" blu-ray case inside (ie, Harry Potter Box set royally pissed me off when I opened it up and discovered that none of the contained discs had proper cases). Cards and other gimmicks don't appeal to me even if included for free.

I don't like "movie happy meals"... just give me lossless audio, an unfiltered picture, and some reasonable bonus material (in HD).

Higher than $40 and I'm waiting for a regular edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks