What's new

Warner talks with HTF about their 90th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary/30#post_4017908
The changed logo on A MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE completely removed the animation of Wilma as the Columbia torch bearer. Why?

That removal took out one of the best jokes in the film. I think that Warner Brothers, which is arguably the most successful film studio in the world, can afford to acknowledge the existence of a competitor(Columbia) when releasing this film on DVD, particularly when the logo in question is artistically interesting and is arguably the funniest gag in the film.

This issue has been covered in other threads on this forum, but it bears repeating that films on Blu-ray and DVD should be released with the original studio logos, rather than replacing the original logo with whatever is contemporary at the time of the re-release. Warner Brothers seems to give proper respect to the Warner Brothers shield logo by keeping it in its classic films. Can you imagine if the Warner 90th Anniversary logo was cut in to replace the shield logo on Casablanca? Yet replacing the Saul Bass designed logos with contemporary designs is routinely being done by the studio and is nearly as egregious.

Other studios are also guilty of this sin, and they need to understand that respect for film heritage means minimal tampering, even with, or especially with, the logos at the beginnings and ends of the films.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I feel that the appropriate compromise, when talking about the logo, would be to use both.
At the start of the disc, use the current version, and then for the film itself, use whatever was used theatrically (or in the case of TV - broadcast).
That should make both parties happy (or at least less unhappy)
David

Colin Davidson

Second Unit
And yet another AMAZING visit with Warners! I just cannot figure out how they top themselves each time we go there for a meet.
Mr. Baker's presentation about the 90th Anniversary set and especially the "...Tales from the Lot" documentary were terrific!
Leaving out the clips was absolutely the right thing to do with this and you could feel from the people who spoke in the documentary that they too were wrapped in the magic and history that Warner Bros. is and will continue to be well into the future.
It is also such a pleasure to hear Mr. Feltenstein speak about Warner Bros. and they special place in his heart that he has for the studio.
The MPI portion was great and I too wish that I could remember the woman's name who spoke with us about the color correction process'. To learn that she had work on 3 Wizard of Oz restorations was truly amazing and that it was one of her favorite films. Her dedication to her "craft" was very apparent and she was committed to bringing the absolute best presentation possible to these classic films.
I also wish to thank the staff at MPI for the tour and the information they gave about what they do. As was said in a previous post, having groups of people walking through your work area can be very disrupting and frustrating, however the people that we passed at their desks all gave a genuine smile and acknowledgement that they understood and that it was "OK."

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
I hope no one at WB is offended by what I say next, but truthfully, I dread it whenever they announce a new digibook or UCE of a movie. It's dread because WB is just the undisputed master when it comes to packaging, extras and goodies. Most of my Blu-ray collection is UCEs by WB right now, which should speak volumes about the sorry condition of my wallet these days. Or my family's, post Christmas.
So, I look forward to the 90th and have my fingers crossed on the quality and presentation of titles for the next year, especially from the classic era of movies from the 20s to the 60s.

captgoodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russell
David Weicker said:
I feel that the appropriate compromise, when talking about the logo, would be to use both.
At the start of the disc, use the current version, and then for the film itself, use whatever was used theatrically (or in the case of TV - broadcast).
David
This is exactly what I was thinking. How can anyone lose with this option? It makes the most sense to me.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary/60#post_4018515
David

This is how Universal does their releases and I think it works wonderfully.

WB's should do the same.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Powell&Pressburger said:
WB's should do the same.
I agree! As long as they leave the original logo on the film where it belongs, who cares what junk they put before it. The only other issue is with companies like Disney, they try force you to watch endless trailers before you can get to the picture.:rolleyes:

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
The dumbest example I've seen of WB's logo replacement program is on the Blu-Ray of BLAZING SADDLES. In its original release, the Bass logo opened the film silently, then we had the old WB shield with the Frankie Laine song playing which burns to reveal the title. On the new release, we get that CGI Burbank lot/shield reveal logo replacing the Bass, then the old shield opening. TWO friggin' shields! They could have just cut off the Bass and started right with the burning shield if they love it so much. :D

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by Techman707
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger
WB's should do the same.
I agree! As long as they leave the original logo on the film where it belongs, who cares what junk they put before it. The only other issue is with companies like Disney, they try force you to watch endless trailers before you can get to the picture.
AMEN!!! I am sick to DEATH of Disney's ENDLESS hawking of it's crappy products when they won't even promote their GOOD releases like Gargoyles (and then they wonder why it doesn't sell well...)
At least Disney got it right with the Snow White platinum edition... NOT ONE advertisment! But then, this was their crown Jewel... I don't know how it was on the Blu Ray, but I'd assume they put on ads.
The Snow White platinum edition is still one of, if not THE best DVD I've ever seen (And I have over 800). No ads, a TON of bonus features, and incredible packaging.
As for changing the logo... Disney does this A LOT, and it's very annoying. But, at least on thier Platinum release they tried to put the original logo.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Absolutely loved the sneak peek at the 90th anniversary documentary, and touring the MPI facility to see how film elements are scanned and then color corrected, which included a clip from the upcoming restored version of Cabaret.
Would have liked a Q&A session to mention some of my complaints regarding recent packaging of special editions as well as why some films keep getting re-issued over and over again (Wizard of Oz), yet some have never even been released through the archive. Plus the reasoning behind the forced trailers on rental discs.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Would like to see Bridges of Madison County and O Lucky Man! on blu sooner than later...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Universal likes to place their current logo in front of the original logo on many of their classic titles on Blu-ray. I think I'm more OK with that policy than removing the old and replacing with the current. Or, in the case described below, leaving the film's original distributor's logo intact, yet still placing the current distributor (or owner)'s logo at the front.
Originally Posted by Timothy E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo
The changed logo on A MAN CALLED FLINTSTONE completely removed the animation of Wilma as the Columbia torch bearer. Why?
That removal took out one of the best jokes in the film. I think that Warner Brothers, which is arguably the most successful film studio in the world, can afford to acknowledge the existence of a competitor(Columbia) when releasing this film on DVD, particularly when the logo in question is artistically interesting and is arguably the funniest gag in the film.
This issue has been covered in other threads on this forum, but it bears repeating that films on Blu-ray and DVD should be released with the original studio logos, rather than replacing the original logo with whatever is contemporary at the time of the re-release. Warner Brothers seems to give proper respect to the Warner Brothers shield logo by keeping it in its classic films. Can you imagine if the Warner 90th Anniversary logo was cut in to replace the shield logo on Casablanca? Yet replacing the Saul Bass designed logos with contemporary designs is routinely being done by the studio and is nearly as egregious.
Other studios are also guilty of this sin, and they need to understand that respect for film heritage means minimal tampering, even with, or especially with, the logos at the beginnings and ends of the films.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
according to WB's calendar of events for 2013, The James Dean Collection was due 2nd quarter, does anyone have a release date for this, is it still on time?

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone remember the great legacy of the MGM musical? WB are the caretakers of that vast library which, as yet, seems only to have seen a bit of the light of day.

The Band Wagon has been languishing, it appears, for such a long time. We were told, a few years ago, that it was being worked on. 2013 is, believe it or not, its 60th anniversary and, still, no word...This film is a prime example of the extraordinary talents that made up the MGM musical and where is it (and all the other musical wonders from that studio)?

I understand all the reasons for releasing and/or not releasing a film. But WB has such a vast backlog of great works that, to those of us who care and await, they need to be addressed. We are not getting any younger.

Thanks for listening.

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Point Blank, The Time Machine, Out of the Past, Key Largo, The Big Sleep. Arsenic and Old Lace, The Philadelphia Story, Bringing Up Baby....I need these on Blu!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks