What's new

Warner talks with HTF about their 90th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Powell&Pressburger said:
WB can save some money if they would stop wasting their time replacing all their original opening logos and replacing them with the brand new CGI version. Received my Warner Archive of Deathtrap today on BLU and they wasted time by adding the new logo. For a studio who wants to celebrate their 90th they want to erase their past logos.
I don't want to sound 100% negative so I will say the transfer looks wonderful and Deathtrap is a great BLU release. Available thru amazon now!
You don't sound negative to me. I have to agree with you 100%....with one exception, they SHOULD remove all the logos they used during their "A Kinney Service Company" period. It was a LOW POINT in the company's history when they were taken over by a "parking lot" company.:rolleyes: At least "Seven Arts" was a respectable company in the industry.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I still like that logo too! It plays over the start of The Omega Man. I like those retro logo's but I understand why you would hate it. I still think those should remain intact.

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
Powell&Pressburger said:
I still like that logo too! :)  It plays over the start of The Omega Man. I like those retro logo's but I understand why you would hate it. I still think those should remain intact.
The reason I hate that logo is because when "My Fair Lady" was re-released in 1971 I worked as a projectionist at the Criterion. They sent in a used 70mm print and SPLICED that horrible logo on the beginning (as I'm sure you're aware, the "real" WB logo comes in further in). It always bugged me and I was thrilled when Kinney was gone. Everytime the Wall Street crowd becomes involved with a film or theatre company, it ALWAYS turns bad.:(

redeye007

Auditioning
Real Name
Felix Espudo
Techman707 said:
The reason I hate that logo is because when "My Fair Lady" was re-released in 1971 I worked as a projectionist at the Criterion. They sent in a used 70mm print and SPLICED that horrible logo on the beginning (as I'm sure you're aware, the "real" WB logo comes in further in). It always bugged me and I was thrilled when Kinney was gone. Everytime the Wall Street crowd becomes involved with a film or theatre company, it ALWAYS turns bad.:(
Universal does this also have u seen the blu rays of et and to kill a mockingbird

Techman707

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Sanders
redeye007 said:
Universal does this also have u seen the blu rays of et and to kill a mockingbird
Yes, I have, the Blu-ray is the THIRD copy of “To Kill A Mockingbird” I’ve bought.:( The first SD version I bought wasn’t anamorphic and looked like $h1t and with shrunken titles (like Disney does). I could understand if there was a legitimate reason, however, there is none, the titles would have all been in the safe area. Although there’s no real reason for Universal to use their “new” color logo at the beginning of an OLD B&W film, at least they didn’t try replacing the original Universal-International logo or shrink the titles like on the SD disc, so it doesn’t really bother me that bad. It’s actually a separate file on the disc, so if you want to load the movie on a server, you could leave it out. :)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I second all of the above positive remarks about the way we were treated at Warner Brothers. My only suggestion for improvement would be if we could get someone from the television division to speak with us at the next Hollywood meet. There are many of us who have questions about the studio's plans regarding its many black & white television shows from the fifties and sixties.

Getting a chance to see the restoration process was a highlight. I don't remember the woman's name, but I was amazed at how she was going through East of Eden frame by frame and making th,e necessary corrections

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary/30#post_4014962
I'm curious if the Tales from the Lot will be released separately from the box sets. Nice as the boxes are, I already have too many of the movies offered to double dip, but would still like the doc.
Eventually they will be, but I'm not sure when.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by David Upton /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary#post_4013244
MPI allowed us to see the telecine process in action on 3 machines simultaneously, which was an incredible sight. It's quite incredible to see original film stock running through a scanner at 7FPS - each frame being scanned at 4K. This was on the new lasergraphics machine they just recently installed. Adam, are we allowed to post any images from MPI?
Feel free. I need to dig through my pics.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Robert Crawford said:
Easter Parade
The Jazz Singer
Driving Miss Daisy
Grand Hotel
Mrs. Miniver
Giant
East of Eden
Rebel Without a Cause
Little Caesar
The Public Enemy
The Petrified Forest
White Heat
House of Wax (3D)
The Big Parade
Enter the Dragon (40th Anniversary)
The Exorcist (40th Anniversary)
A Christmas Story (30th Anniversary)
The Right Stuff (30th Anniversary)
The Mad Max Collection
Ocean's Collection including Sinatra, Martin and Davis film
Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz (75th Anniversary)
Gone With the Wind (Expected 75th Annivesary)
There will be several more titles coming out on BD too, but haven't been announced yet. Also, don't forget the Goldwyn and Paramount titles that Warner will be distributing over the next few years like Guys and Dolls and possibly The Best Years of Our Lives along with several other possibilities.
Will Paramount's "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever" Be out next year?
Also is "The Widzard Of Oz"[1939] still coming in 3D?
Thank's
Everett

Can't wait to hear more details about "Oz." I hope they at least considered the fixes I suggested. I never did get one of the proposals back (the copy sent to the restoration team.)

redeye007

Auditioning
Real Name
Felix Espudo
To
Everett Stallings said:
Thank's
Everett
To answer your question I seen on another site that The Best Years Of Our Lives hits blu ray in Canada in janurary also blu rays from Canada can be seen in USA blu ray players also what's this about the wizard of oz 1939 in 3D?

redeye007

Auditioning
Real Name
Felix Espudo
Robert Crawford said:
Easter Parade
The Jazz Singer
Driving Miss Daisy
Grand Hotel
Mrs. Miniver
Giant
East of Eden
Rebel Without a Cause
Little Caesar
The Public Enemy
The Petrified Forest
White Heat
House of Wax (3D)
The Big Parade
Enter the Dragon (40th Anniversary)
The Exorcist (40th Anniversary)
A Christmas Story (30th Anniversary)
The Right Stuff (30th Anniversary)
The Mad Max Collection
Ocean's Collection including Sinatra, Martin and Davis film
Goodfellas
The Wizard of Oz (75th Anniversary)
Gone With the Wind (Expected 75th Annivesary)
There will be several more titles coming out on BD too, but haven't been announced yet. Also, don't forget the Goldwyn and Paramount titles that Warner will be distributing over the next few years like Guys and Dolls and possibly The Best Years of Our Lives along with several other possibilities.
To answer your question I seen on another site that The Best Years Of Our Lives hits blu ray in Canada in janurary also blu rays from Canada can be seen in USA blu ray players

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Everett Stallings /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary/30#post_4016122
Thank's
Everett
On a Clear Day You Can See Forever never came up, but The Wizard of Oz will be coming in 3D.

Crawdaddy

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jason_V said:
Just out of curiosity, who will you return it to?  No B/M store I know of will let you return opened media for anything but the same title. 
It would probably be better to wait for the reviews to come in next year and ask the question before buying the disc.
Yeah, I was exaggerating -- I should have added a smiley. I tend to read reviews before purchasing most anything these days.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
At WB there is a tangible excitement and sense of company pride that's justified and well deserved. Our wonderful guides made us feel at home, immediately and throughout the visit, and as soon as Jeff Baker and George Feltenstein entered the room, it was apparent that this is an attitude that permeates the studio at every level.

Seeing the documentary excerpts in that beautiful screening room was a privilege that will not be forgotten, and I think we all clung to every word out of Jeff's and George's mouths. (This part of the visit would have been greater still, had there been some time allotted for Q&A and discussion.) Those documentaries rank among the best I've seen, and kudos for keeping film clips out of the one about the lot -- a fantastic idea, beautifully executed.

MPI was incredible, and the hospitality of the folks there provided an opportunity for a little back-and-forth and permitted us some valuable perspective on how everyone at WB views their mission.

Let me be yet another person to slap myself upside the head for not properly noting the name of the woman who so generously shared some of her ongoing work on East of Eden and Cabaret. Both look stunning, and will be day one purchases -- as will Giant, someday, and I was both thrilled and relieved to hear that, in spite of the challenges it presents, it'll eventually get there.

Enjoyed the visit to the studio museum which holds a nice cross-section of props and costumes from different periods in the studio's history. One display that stopped me in my tracks, and I returned to it a couple of times, was the gown and the tweed suit from My Fair Lady. The costumes are thrilling to see, in their own right, but that film stands atop so many others, and I can only wish it were still a WB property.

As far as additional feedback for Jeff Baker re packages with memorabilia: I love it, too, but the most valuable things to me are (1) meaningful commentaries and relevant extra features on disc, and (2) quality printed matter -- reproductions of posters, lobby cards, press books, documents, and the like -- and any and all essays/articles/histories of the film. I'm the type who'd be delighted if a book of some sort came with every movie!

I'm also reminded by reviewing this thread that I echo the feelings expressed regarding original studio logos on movies. They are indeed a part of the film's history, and I beg you to reconsider their replacement. Those of us who feel strongly about this are not hoping to rid ourselves of the current ones, but only to have the originals preserved, as they were when the film opened, within the running of the film itself.

I hope everyone working at WB appreciates what they have. (I'm pretty sure they do!) This is a great studio with the greatest possible spirit. Please keep up the wonderful work.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher /t/325992/warner-talks-with-htf-about-their-90th-anniversary/30#post_4015524

There are many of us who have questions about the studio's plans regarding its many black & white television shows from the fifties and sixties.

Seconded. Those '50s/'60s shows are something I've been wanting for many years.

Mr Cinema

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
Lots of love in here for WB. I like them as well, and thank goodness they support BD, otherwise we'd have a lot less to buy. However, they still disappoint from time to time. For example, by going the cheap route this year with Unforgiven's 20th anniversary. Couldn't they have added lossless audio to this title? It's a Best Picture winner, directed by Clint Eastwood, who they treat as a king. The digibook is nice, but I was extremely disappointed that we got the same old disc from 2006.
At least it finally appears Goodfellas will get the special treatment next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks