What's new

Warner finally announcing some horror for Halloween! (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
According to the Cinema Discussion section of the Something Awful Forums, someone mentioned on the AVS Forums that HD-DVD editions of Poltergeist and Twilight Zone: The Movie are coming on Oct. 9. I'm not a member of AVS, so can anyone confirm this?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Posted in both in their Blu-ray and HD DVD forums, by 'TheLion':

POLTERGEIST (25TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION)
Release Date: October 9th
MSRP $28.99

TWILIGHT ZONE:MOVIE, THE
Release Date: October 9th
MSRP $28.99

RETURN TO HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL
Release Date: October 16th
MSRP $34.99

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
You mean no standard dvd format for these ??? !!! Ive waited a long time for these, now theyll only be hd dvd and blue ray , this sucks if true.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Well, if that is indeed how this plays out, my prediction will have come true. I've long said that the only way the studios can push HD and BR would be if they start releasing their films on those new formats either first or only, or if they put out mediocre S-DVDs and lavish only the HD/BR releases.

In the meantime, I guess THE BURT LANCASTER COLLECTION is Warner's Halloween Classics this year -- release date is October 23rd!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There is no way that it's only coming out on high definition formats. Both of these movies would only sell about a thousand (and that's if things going amazingly well for them) copies in high def, they NEED to release them in SD just to make any money back on them.

EDIT: Let me repeat, there is no way it is only coming out in HD. None. Zero. :) The news for the HD releases just happened to get leaked first (and probably by one of those "I stopped buying SD releases 8 years ago" type of guys who doesn't care- and thinks everyone is like him- about SD DVDs).

Ruben Rivera

Auditioning
Poltergeist 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition..

Does that mean this will only be a one disc release on std dvd instead of the supposed two disc release??

walter o

Supporting Actor
But with Warner pretty much announced street date for all their SD titles for October, maybe Joe is right. They are testing to see how catalog titles do if released as a HD exclusive?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

The old laserdisc is about the only thing I use my LD player for these days. I own the old dvd as well, and I saw it go for almost 60 bucks on ebay, so I put mine there. Up to $21 so far.

"But with Warner pretty much announced street date for all their SD titles for October, maybe Joe is right. They are testing to see how catalog titles do if released as a HD exclusive?"

Well, Amazon.com seems to have these up for preorder, and as far as I can tell they are standard def. Dr. Giggles, $9.99.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Good greif, that "artwork" is appalling. I'm glad they're selling it individually, as the only item of real interest is From Beyond the Grave...

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Woo Hoo!! :emoji_thumbsup: Fantastic! I'll be picking up Poltergeist and Twilight Zone in High Def of course.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Now Warner, bring on that remastered Hammer Horror set for HD/BD. :D

Ruben Rivera

Auditioning

That's right.

whatever happened to The Road Warrior SE that was supposed to be coming this year?? The WB chat in February this year stated that it was coming but no set date. The HD version came out in May. Does anyone know if the SE has been delayed, or even cancelled?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I meant that there's no way a catalog title would have no SD release at all. The Road Warrior has been released on SD before and it seems likely that they'll eventually release the special edition on SD too.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
I was expecting a bare bones copy of The Hand, but Stone has done a commentary? Hell yeah I'm in. I don't mind the art either. I've seen worse. The Carpenter and Craven films grab my curiosity, and since Dr Giggles seems to have it's fans, it's probably worth spending the extra couple of bucks getting the box, especially considering it only counts as one item for shipping (I live in Australia, so it's always a consideration).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks