What's new

Warner DVD Decision 2004 - Voting Results are in! (1 Viewer)

Well my votes will be as follows:

GREED (YES YES YES YES YES YES MY GOD IN HEAVEN YESSSSSSSSSSS!)

I AM A FUGATIVE FROM THE CHAIN GANG

ICE STATION ZEBRA (Any Sturges is Good Sturges, Where is Bad Day At Black Rock!?!?! I remember it being on the vote list last year and was totally dismayed when it wasn't chosen.)

In any case I hope both versions of Greed get released... and there has to be tons of extras out there for this thing. It's one of the great storied films in the HISTORY of all filmdom. Would it be too much to ask for this to be available in a Warner Bros. giftset with the original shooting script?

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
What greast titles we have there.
Great to see Random Harvest (my favorite film of all time!!!!) and The Letter (Bette Davis at last). And I will certainly be voting also for Test Pilot (MGM 30's at its best), Bathing Beauty and Ivanhoe.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Not voting for Greed,Rafael shame on you ! Seriously some good titles though the inclusion of Dive Bomber did have me scratching my head a little. Surely there isn't much point including it if its going to be part of the Flynn set : of course they could have changed their minds and replaced it in the set with Charge of the Light Brigade or Adventures of Don Juan. No complaints from me if thats happenned.

The best titles to me anyway are concentrated in the first two lists. Hope this will be a straight vote based on popularity instead of divided into categories. Greed and Chain Gang are the standouts for me,both great films. Test Pilot is a good Tracy / Gable co-starrer but San Francisco is better. Any chance of a release of that outside the list ? Its hard to criticise really because if the last year from Warner is anything to go by most of these titles and many other more well known ones will come out eventually.

Brandon_D

Stunt Coordinator
I will defintely voting for The Letter, Test Pilot,Random Harvest,Captains of the Clouds and Bathing Beauty. It's about time we get some classic Esther Williams musicals on DVD!!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Isn't The Letter that really good film starring Bette Davis? Saw it a few years ago, and LOVED IT! Easily gets my vote along with Ice Station Zebra and Greed.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Ice Station Zebra
Shoes Of The Fisherman
King Solomon's Mines
Lust For Life

and either Ivanhoe or Kansas City Bomber (though my desire to get more Raquel films faded after Fox botched up OMYBC, so that might tilt me towards Ivanhoe)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Greed
Shoes of the Fisherman
Ivanhoe
Lust for Life
The Letter

Overall, I do find the full list very strange. There are better films out there in their vast catalogue. I wonder who made the decisions as to which titles made onto the list?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
IMHO his prose was rotten, but MacLean came up with some rattling good yarns that translated pretty well to film - Breakheart Pass, Puppet on a Chain, Where Eagles Dare, Satan Bug, Guns of Navarone and Ice Station Zebra.

From that whole Warners list there are only five I wouldn't buy and there are some real 'must haves' there aren't there?

---
So many films, so little time...

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I hope we can do write-in votes. About 66% of the titles interest me. Is the mention of "The Letter" mean we'll see a Bette "Box" in 2005? I can't wait for my Bette Davis fix.

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
King Solomon's Mines all the way! Actually, that's another one where the book is better. Interestingly, I find the book less racist and dated than the awful Richard Chamberlain movie version. If it wins, that likely means they'll dig up some special features, too.

I wonder if part of the reason for including Ice Station Zebra is the upcoming release of The Aviator about Howard Hughes? That was his favorite movie and something of an obsession. If they mention that in the film biography, it could raise a little interest in the DVD release.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Hardly likely that Martin Scorsese's Howard Hughes bio The Aviator mentions Hughes' obsession with Ice Station Zebra since it deals exclusively with Hughes life in the 1930s and 1940s, some 20 years prior to Ice Station Zebra film debut.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
glad to see SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN making the list. Seeing this film in 70mm ( it was a blowup) and six track stereo was awesome. TCM has run th eoriginal making of for this film and the complete soundtrack was recently released on 2 cds by film scoremonthly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks