What's new

Warner Christmas Collection (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Because Warner Bros. does not own the 1951 Alistair
Sim version. Warner Bros.' home video company is the U.S. distributor for BBC VIDEO, and BBC is the company that has prepared the 1951 version for release.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig

It does have a Christmas sequence when Sister Luke is in the Congo, but it's such a great movie I'm just glad it's coming to DVD at all.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I think Warners is being a bit creative to market these films. Frankly, neither Nuns Story or Shoes of the Fisherman could be called Christmas related films, but those are the two main reasons I will buy the box.

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Regarding the three-disc Christmas box, I much preferred Peter M Fitzgerald's suggestion in this thread:

A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1938, with short: A FIRESIDE CHAT WITH LIONEL BARRYMORE as an extra)
CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945)
A HOLIDAY AFFAIR (1949)

--plus a bonus 4th disc containing classic Christmas-themed shorts from the Warner/MGM/RKO catalogs:

* COMPLIMENTS OF THE SEASON (1930, Vitaphone short)
* THE CHRISTMAS PARTY (1931, with Jackie Cooper)
* ALIAS ST. NICK (1935, animated)
* THE PUPS CHRISTMAS (1936, Harmon-Ising cartoon)
* MGM CHRISTMAS TRAILER (1937, Judy Garland)
* THE CAPTAIN'S CHRISTMAS (1938, MGM Captain & The Kids cartoon)
* PEACE ON EARTH (1939, Harmon-Ising cartoon)
* BEDTIME FOR SNIFFLES (1940, Chuck Jones-directed cartoon)
* HOLIDAY GREETINGS 1941 (Lewis Stone)
* THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS (1941, Tom & Jerry cartoon)
* ONE HAM'S FAMILY (1943, Tex Avery-directed cartoon)
* MGM CHRISTMAS TRAILER (1945, Frank Sinatra)
* STAR IN THE NIGHT (1945, directed by Don Siegel)
* GIFT WRAPPED (1952, Sylvester & Tweety cartoon)

I've not seen either Boys' Town or Holiday Affair, but the latter sounds much more appropriate.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell

I agree with the suggestion that A Holiday Affair would be better suited for the set rather than Boy's Town. I guess we will still have to wait at least another year for A Holiday Affair's release.

Andy

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Let's see 2005 minus 2003 equals 2 yrs! I posted this Thread 2 years ago asking for this DVD from WB. Gee it sure is nice to see that WB FINALLY read the Thread & decided my request was a good idea! ;) ;) ;)

"The Nun's Story" and "The Shoes of the Fisherman" will be mine also.

FrankXS

Second Unit
With the coming of Boys Town/Christmas in Conneticutt/Christmas Carol maybe we will start to get other classic titles like A Tale of Two Cities, Anthony Adverse/David Copperfield etc. Warner is doing such a great job, but what a rich well to go to each month to bring us all of these collections. It's too bad there aren't more months in each year.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Another disc/release of the Alastir Sim version? One of my faves. I hope they do it justice, restoring perhaps?

;) d

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I know not in this set, but earlier in the thread they mentioned another Alastir Sim version. That's what I was referring to.

:)

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Wish they had included THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER

And while we're mentioning MGM Christmas Cartoons, I understand that "Peace On Earth" was remade in Cinemascope as "Good Will Towards Men". That should be included, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks