What's new

Warner Brothers plans Justice League film for 2015 (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Word is that WB planing on finally doing their Justice League movie now that the legal rights issues with Superman have been put to rest.
There's not much information about the plan, but it looks like they're doing the team film first which would then be followed by individual character movies (with the exception of Superman which will be out first). Not sure if they'll keep the Green Lantern movie in continuity. I've heard that the new take on Batman will debut in Justice League and won't go solo until after the team up.
Avengers 2 is out early May, so they'd be wise to release this no earlier than July.
I hope they do a good job.
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-72940940/

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
Avengers 2 is out early May, so they'd be wise to release this no earlier than July.
They're going to make a movie that will most likely be percieved by the general public as a copy of The Avengers AND they're going to release it the same summer as a sequel to The Avengers? Doing that insures that the movie, good or bad, will only be seen as "that other superteam movie" of the summer. It's like Warners wants to fail.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Without much in the way of individual character movie build up either. And if they use Darkseid, there'd surely be Thanos comparisons as well. Even though Thanos was inspired from Darkseid in the development of the comics, Marvel was there first in the movies (Avengers credits and probably Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2). So it'd be crazy if WB used that character.
They should probably keep the threat more Earth based, like a Luthor lead Legion of Doom type scenario.
They're really going to have to knock it out of the park to overcome some of the inevitable comparisons and "copying" perceptions.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
Isn't Warners doubling-down with a Green Lantern 2? Would seem to suggest they're keeping it alive for a crossover.
Also, for my money, it'd be wise of them to just have Joseph Gordon-Levitt show up as Batman. Don't address his alter-ego...keep it mysterious and just have him be 'Batman.' I think fans would get it and dig it. Keep the ball rolling on the good stuff they've done, rather jumbling up reboots with continuations.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't know. I didn't particularly believe them when they insisted a sequel would be made in spite of how badly the first one bombed. It sounded like trying to convince audiences to give the movie a try, or at best wishful thinking. I'll say that I caught the first one on cable and in spite of the fact that I don't really like Reynolds, it wasn't bad. Not great, but not bad.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I haven't heard any rumors of development on a second Green Lantern movie, but then again I haven't been trying to follow DC movie news as much as I have with Marvel. But if the character is well received in Justice League, then I'd bet its more likely they'd do another solo film afterwards.
I while I think it is possible to use the Nolan-verse Batman in a movie with Superman and other superpowered heroes and villains, I think it would probably work better with a take on Batman (and his world) that's closer to the tone of the animated series or the Arkham video games.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So the RUMOR is that the villain will be.......
Darkseid!
At least according to Latino review.
http://latino-review.com/2012/12/03/exclusive-bad-guy-justice-league/
He is a major villain of the D.C. Universe and would certainly be an appropriate enemy that would require the heroes to team up. The only thing that's a little weird is that he is so similar to Marvel's Thanos. It doesn't matter that Darkseid came first in D.C. Comics. Thanos is coming first in the movies (Avengers credits, Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 2). Some will unfairly cry "copy" or whatever because he's so similar to Marvel's Big Bad.
I don't necessarily think that means they shouldn't use Darkseid because of what Marvel is thought to be planing, but the timing is kinda questionable. Summer of 2015 with 2 superhero team movies with very similar baddies.
Still, from what I know of Darkseid, he'll make for a way-cool superbad on the big screen.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
The million dollar question is how WB is going to handle a JLA movie compared to the rest of their properties. It looks like the new take on Superman is going towards the 'grounded in reality' Nolan approach (at least as much as a movie can be with a guy that can fly). Does WB create two different universes of superheroes? We'll have to wait until June to see if Darkseid fits in with this take of Superman.
I personally would rather see solid takes on Superman, The Flash, Green Lantern, maybe Aquaman, and even eventually a new take on Batman before I'd be amped for a Justice League movie. I feel as though that these characters are too strong on their own to rush a JLA movie without establishing the franchises first. I understand why WB is pushing it forward, but I do not agree with it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Latest rumor is that WB decided against moving forward with what they currently had script-wise and are reexamining their options. http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174925-justice-league-rumored-for-page-one-rewrite It's looking less likely that they'll be making a summer 2015 release date if they can't lock in a solid plan and move on it.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Well, why not further rumors? Nolan to oversee the Justice League movie? And bring back Christian Bale? Appears to be getting a lot of traction today. Sounds very good to me: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/report-bale-to-return-as-batman-in-justice-league http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175319-is-christopher-nolan-developing-the-justice-league-film http://news.yahoo.com/read-justice-league-rumor-christian-bale-returning-batman-160707020.html

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yes, this is very interesting. On the one hand, Warner Brothers definitely needs someone to be a leader and guide all of their DC movies like Kevin Feige at Marvel Studios. And they should also have a consultant from the comics world that can help with the details (like Whedon and Millar). This would definitely be a step in the right direction. On the other hand, the tone of Batman and the world established by Nolan in his films doesn't seem to be the best fit for a more fantastical story filled with superpowered heroes. Still, definitely cool potential here. I'll be surprised if they made 2015. That just seems too soon if they don't have a solid plan yet.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
No mention of Ryan Reynolds returning? :D Wish they'd have given the Green Lantern sequel a shot. Mark Strong as Sinestro could have been great.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Can't believe this isn't generating more discussion. If this proves true, this is second to only Star Wars in terms of how big of a deal this news is.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I think it's partly because its just rumor at this point. A definitive confirmation would probably generate a bit more buzz. But also it's partly due to the reality that the movie discussion forum at HTF just isn't what is used to be.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't see any way this gets made by 2015. There's no script, no director, no cast. And it's supposed to be in theaters in just over two years? Not going to happen. Perhaps it can be done by 2016, and certainly by 2017, but no earlier. Also, it seems unlikely that Bale would reprise his role if WB is going to go with a new Batman in a few years. Presumably, they'd love to have a series of Justice League films too, and it would be better to do so with the same actor in the new series of Batfilms. JJ Abrams has mentioned that Star Wars may not even make it to theaters in 2015, saying - as he did with Star Trek - that it's better to get it right than to just get it out. (Now, the studio will no doubt push for 2015, since they have a lot riding on this, but to do so, filming has to begin this year.) Avengers 2 is currently the front-runner for 2015.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Sean Bryan said:
I think it's partly because its just rumor at this point. A definitive confirmation would probably generate a bit more buzz.
When it comes to superhero movies, there's so many rumors that it's tough for me to get interested until info is confirmed.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Another reason that I don't know if the "Nolanverse" is the best fit for all future DC movies is that I think Joker should be an ongoing foe, and I believe Nolan doesn't want to use the character again out of respect for Heath Ledger. He made the right call in not having him die in The Dark Knight. And he certainly set things up so there is the potential for a life long adversarial relationship (Bats wont kill him, and he won't kill Bats because he's too much fun). But in "Rises" there's no indication that there's ever been anything more from Joker for the past eight years. I thought Ledger was fantastic in the role. And his death was truly tragic. But I believe that the role is bigger than any one actor and it should be recast and revisited in future films. I think with Nolan involved that is much less likely to happen. That actually brings up a question I had about "Rises" from a recent viewing. What was going on with Arkham Asylum and its prisoners during the months long anarchy in Gotham? No police, the regular prison was "liberated". Were we to believe that they left Arhkam Asylum alone during all that time and its employees were still showing up for work caring for the inmates (and making sure they don't escape)? Or were the Arkham inmates freed as well? If the later, then what was Joker up to? He really should have been part of the story but I believe only wasn't out of respect for Heath. The big movies I'm aware of for 2015 are Avengers, Avatar, Star Wars, and Justice League. I think Fox wants to get its Fantastic Four reboot in there as well, but that's not very definitive. If Warner Brothers is still trying to figure out what they want to do with Justice League it definitely makes me doubt they'll hit summer 2015, but then again that's over 2 years away. If they start filming spring 2014 that would be a typical time frame for production/release, and that still gives then an entire year to get their crap together. So it definitely could still happen. But if they're not ready to start production in the next 12 months I'd rather it was delayed and done right than rushed if it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks