What's new

Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Acquires Rights To 70 Films From The Samuel Goldwyn Library (2 Viewers)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Russell G said:
that's just it. If Warners are not rushing to release their own titles, I'm not sure what their incentive is to release another studios. There's a good chance these will be sit on.
I agree. I think we'll see MANY archive releases for these titles, but very few of them will surface on Blu IMHO. I mean, Warner still hasn't released most of their own major catalog titles on Blu such as the James Dean & the Astaire/Rogers films.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Brandon Conway said:
Paramount has now licensed the Republic titles to Olive and Lionsgate is out of the picture.
Thanks Brandon, I didn't know this!
Maybe Olive will see fit to release High Noon and Johnny Guitar on Blu-ray.
(Crossing fingers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by ReggieW /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library/60#post_3913112
(Crossing fingers)
They've already said they plan to. Lots of discussion about it starting here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/311707/coming-soon-from-olive-films/300#post_3908853

Specifically, High Noon and Johnny Guitar should be this year: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/311707/coming-soon-from-olive-films/420#post_3911659

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
DeeF said:
What about Porgy and Bess ?
Goldwyn's final film.
This film has barely been shown in any form for decades (only a few special showings). It is one of the most serious (and deliberate!) artistic deprivations in the history of world cinema.
It is an Oscar and Golden Globe winner, and was recently included in the Library of Congress list. Filmed in Todd-AO 70mm, it is a beautiful version of the the Gershwin opera, and stars nearly every major African-American actor of its day.
I understand that the Gershwin estate has finally overcome its opposition to the distribution of this film. Is there any information about it whatever? I am ready, and so will the world be when people can actually see it again.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I remember the "PORGY AND BESS has been cleared for takeoff and will be coming" post and now that it has been substantiated, I am more hopeful than ever we'll finally see it. It would be crazy not to offer this classic as a BD, as original elements are said to exist. It's possible, I guess, that someone other than Warners did end up with it. Anyway, Warners has been spotty with their classic film BD releases as compared to the Fox stuff which pops up in the Danish SoulMedia collection, through Twilight Time, through a couple of French companies like Carlotta and even as Walmart exclusives. I'll probably be ten feet under by the time they release the stuff I really want in BD.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ed Lachmann said:
I remember the "PORGY AND BESS has been cleared for takeoff and will be coming" post and now that it has been substantiated, I am more hopeful than ever we'll finally see it. It would be crazy not to offer this classic as a BD, as original elements are said to exist. It's possible, I guess, that someone other than Warners did end up with it. Anyway, Warners has been spotty with their classic film BD releases as compared to the Fox stuff which pops up in the Danish SoulMedia collection, through Twilight Time, through a couple of French companies like Carlotta and even as Walmart exclusives. I'll probably be ten feet under by the time they release the stuff I really want in BD.
Thanks for pointing out the other threads about this - however, with this title I'll take a wait and see attitude. The Gershwin Estate has been VERY controlling on this title. And I really will take a wait and see as regards it being part of this particular package.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ReggieW /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library/60#post_3913112
(Crossing fingers)
Johnny Guitar is on their list and I think they said it would be before the end of the year.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library/60#post_3913209
Thanks for pointing out the other threads about this - however, with this title I'll take a wait and see attitude. The Gershwin Estate has been VERY controlling on this title. And I really will take a wait and see as regards it being part of this particular package.
As with Mr. Cashill, you are also very informed with status of films. So I will change my 100% belief that it will come out to 50-50. Perhaps you could get the soundtrack re-released through Kritzerland. Off the subject, but your release of The Molly Maguires Soundtrack is awesome.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ahollis said:
As with Mr. Cashill, you are also very informed with status of films. So I will change my 100% belief that it will come out to 50-50.  Perhaps you could get the soundtrack re-released through Kritzerland.  Off the subject, but your release of The Molly Maguires Soundtrack is awesome. 

Thank you kindly - it was a real treat to do it. And more goodies from Paramount coming.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
haineshisway said:
Porgy and Bess is controlled by the Gershwin Estate so unless they give it to someone it's not coming and certainly not through this package. You'd think this would be pretty common knowledge by now, but I guess not :)
Mr. Kimmel: I believe you to be a man of talent and achievement, but in your replies to some of the HTF posts you come across in a rather condescending fashion. Not everyone here has your knowledge of who owns what licencing rights. This should be a forum in which people can feel secure in posting questions to other members who may have the knowledge they seek without fear that the answers will have the tone of the one you gave here. The smiley face helps, but doesn't erase your choice of words. I enjoy most of your posts a great deal, and appreciate your contributions to film and literature and this forum, but please have patience with and be a bit kinder to those of us with less of that in our own history. Many thanks. :)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Playing my just arrived BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA along with the "I never dreamed I'd ever own" VIOLENT SATURDAY. Mr. Kimmel is one of a wonderful group of folks I'd refer to as the "Soundtrack Saints". They do more to preserve cinema treasures than all the studios combined. As a DVD/BD film collector, I more frustrated than not most of the time. Not so with soundtracks. In fact, it has become almost an embarrassment of riches for many of us, one which I sincerely hope continues. My entertainment dollars will go to these guys since I'd much rather enjoy some delicious Friedhofer than pick up the fifteenth reissue of CASABLANCA. It is the frustration over roadblocks that prevent a release of PORGY AND BESS that gets to us all. Classic TV fans are also angry about the Shulman heirs and the DOBIE GILLIS "problem". Truth is, the real patriots release and even re-record things without assurance that there will be a big profit, or even one at all in certain cases. We are truly lucky to have them.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Dick said:
Mr. Kimmel: I believe you to be a man of talent and achievement, but in your replies to some of the HTF posts you come across in a rather condescending fashion. Not everyone here has your knowledge of who owns what licencing rights. This should be a forum in which people can feel secure in posting questions to other members who may have the knowledge they seek without fear that the answers will have the tone of the one you gave here. The smiley face helps, but doesn't erase your choice of words. I enjoy most of your posts a great deal, and appreciate your contributions to film and literature and this forum, but please have patience with and be a bit kinder to those of us with less of that in our own history. Many thanks. :)
I went back and looked at my post - I don't really see what you're referring to, but I do try to be careful in the way I post, especially in my use of the smiley. Please know that no condescension is intended in my posts here. Other boards, maybe, but not here :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Ed Lachmann said:
Playing my just arrived BARBARIAN AND THE GEISHA along with the "I never dreamed I'd ever own" VIOLENT SATURDAY. Mr. Kimmel is one of a wonderful group of folks I'd refer to as the "Soundtrack Saints". They do more to preserve cinema treasures than all the studios combined. As a DVD/BD film collector, I more frustrated than not most of the time. Not so with soundtracks. In fact, it has become almost an embarrassment of riches for many of us, one which I sincerely hope continues. My entertainment dollars will go to these guys since I'd much rather enjoy some delicious Friedhofer than pick up the fifteenth reissue of CASABLANCA. It is the frustration over roadblocks that prevent a release of PORGY AND BESS that gets to us all. Classic TV fans are also angry about the Shulman heirs and the DOBIE GILLIS "problem". Truth is, the real patriots release and even re-record things without assurance that there will be a big profit, or even one at all in certain cases. We are truly lucky to have them.
Glad you like Barbarian, one of my favorite Friedhofer scores. The really exciting thing for us is that it's the first of what we hope will be many more Fox soundtracks.
And believe me, no one would be happier to see Porgy and Bess finally released than I - I really like the movie, even though I know many don't.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'll tell you, the VIOLENT SATURDAY cues are also real treasures. Can't stop playing them. I'm so on board for the Fox scores. Probably some "WOW" ones coming, like the ONE EYED JACKS or PRIDE AND THE PASSION, or the infamous film everyone's heard of but hardly anyone's ever seen or smelled, THE SCENT OF MYSTERY. Thanks to you at least we've gotten to hear it.

Jon Lidolt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon Lidolt
Ed Lachmann said:
I'll tell you, the VIOLENT SATURDAY cues are also real treasures. Can't stop playing them. I'm so on board for the Fox scores. Probably some "WOW" ones coming, like the ONE EYED JACKS or PRIDE AND THE PASSION, or the infamous film everyone's heard of but hardly anyone's ever seen or smelled, THE SCENT OF MYSTERY. Thanks to you at least we've gotten to hear it.
Well guess what? Here's one of the few who actually got to see Scent of Mystery in the "new" 70mm Todd process and SMELL-O-VISION. I saw it at the Todd Cinestage in Chicago when I was an art student living in the city. In fact, one day while taking a stroll through the downtown on my lunch hour I passed the Cinestage theatre and saw Mike Todd Jr. carrying a big box of toilet tissue into the theatre. The highlight of Scent of Mystery, for me at least, was how everyone ended up blowing their nose during the intermission so that they could smell the second half of the movie. I also remember the the sound of the smells swooshing through the pipes to the seats just as something like cologne, freshly baked bread or manure would appear onscreen. It was memorable, that's for sure. As the movie's ads proclaimed: first they moved, then they talked... now they smell. The critics took note.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks