What's new

Warner Bros Filmation shows? (1 Viewer)

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Anyone pick up the aquaman set? I wonder when they'll release batman '68 and the rest of the superman shorts....

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yep, got the Aquaman set and I'm slowly working through it.

I'm guessing there is going to be another DC Comics related release to go with the next Superfriend set (January?) and then something else with the New Frontier movie. Warner has recently delivered two products on the same day. I don't see a reason to stop that now.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

They still have several seasons of Super Friends to release, but I hope they go with the superior Filmation stuff from the '60s, which includes Batman, another set of Superman, and the Justice League/Hawkman/Green Lantern/Flash/Atom/Teen Titans shorts. Wouldn't mind seeing the very early episodes of Super Friends.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Don't forget the other Filmation Shows that Warners owns - The animated TARZAN and the Animated Gilligan's Island/Planet Shows :)

David Levine

Supporting Actor

I'm not sure Warner owns Tarzan. I do know there are serious rights issues with the Edgar Rice Burroughs estate.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looks like the Filmation cartoons are continuing on DVD this summer, with the Justice League/Green Lantern/Hawkman/Atom/Teen Titans/Flash shorts coming in August.

The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure DVD news: Announcement for DC Super Heroes: The Filmation Adventures | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Glad to see it. When I was a kid, I used to watch this show in the mornings before school. I could watch 2 out of 3 segments, so I was disappointed if the third segment was one of the above, because they were pretty rarely shown.

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I'm glad these are coming out too. I believe these cartoons were my first introduction to Superheroes and I loved them. I think I was watching them before I started school and then when I was going to school, I watched them when I got home. I really enjoyed the Superman set but I still have to pick up Aquaman and Batman.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Now if only we'd get the remaining '67 and 68' Superman episodes, and the '68 Batman series...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be suprised to see the 60s 5ilmation Batman show up in December with the dvd release of Dark Knight.
Even though Aquaman didn't hold up for me as well as I'd expected, I'm still loving these releases and can't wait for the Superhero set in August. I pre-ordered it along with a bunch of Bds from the Warner store with a 30% off coupon code ( ANWBTS ?). Everything came out to an average price of $16 which included NYS sales tax. In other words, a very good deal.
Count me in for more 60s Superman too (if there is any). Unfortunately Superboy has rights issues with the Siegel/Shuster estates. A real shame as I loved that one as much as any of them. Oh well. Still thrilled with what we've gotten so far.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Looked at the new Filmation DVD that came out this week, and while it is nice to have these rare cartoons on DVD, I am disappointed in the job Warner did. Mostly that is because of the title sequences for the individual shows. Clearly, no attempt was made to clean these up, as they are blurry, have color bleeds and pops and scratches throughout. The episodes themselves look nice, but the title sequences, which are very cool in their own right, look like just about the worst thing I have seen on DVD.

Still, credit to WB for putting these out. They could easily have been forgotten, and if you watched these Filmation shows as a kid, these non-Superman, non-Aquaman episodes were a treat, and were rarely played.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
I thought Warner cheaped out on the packaging on this one. i've never seen a clear keep case, heck even the picture at amazon show's a black keep case.

Although I prefer the keepcases to those cardboard thing's we've been getting for years.

I havent' watched the episodes yet, but the documentary on Lou Schieimer and Filmation is excellent. its' right up there with the BCI documentaries, but there's still plenty of new material.

The back of the box says to be on the look out for The All New Superfriends Hour Complete Series Collection (or something like that) which baffles me, because we just got the 1st half in January...are they going to make us all buy the 1st half again in a complete set? I didn't think super freinds had the appeal to sell in huge sets which is why I thought we were getting volumes, oh well.

BTW, yes there are more superman episodes from filmation, 32 more shorts.

See:

The New Adventures of Superman (animated series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Hopefully someone asks WHV @ the chat about future DC filmation & Superfriends sets.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
Aside from the fairly crappy transfers, I was surprised to find Hanna-Barbera's Birdman featured on the discs menus, rather than DC's Hawkman. It bugs me a little that somebody, one random person in the chain of approval on this set, didn't catch the mistake...but it's also kinda funny.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

"Fantastic Voyage" (and "Journey to the Center of the Earth") are owned by 20th Century Fox and "The New Adventures of Gilligan" (and "Gilligan's Planet") should be now owned by Warners now, if not still by MGM/UA.

Filmation's deals always seemed to give the rights to shows back to the licence owners. (ie - Paramount with "The Brady Kids" and "Star Trek",Warners with the DC Comics Properties,and so on.)

I wonder who controls the rights to the Filmation animated TARZAN series? ERB,inc?

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank

I'd love to have a complete "The Brady Kids" set on DVD, although I wonder if Superman, Wonder Woman, and (I think) the Lone Ranger appearing on the show might present a licensing rights problem.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Same here. I WILL BUY THEM ALL...live action and animated. Keep my SAturday morning TV coming.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks