What's new

Warner Bros. – We Want A Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II (1 Viewer)

Well John Williams did come back and do some additional scoring for the Star Wars Special Editions in 1997. It therefore seems possible that he might revisit Superman if asked.

Right, but what I'm wondering is, is there a written score for SII locked somewhere in a WB vault from circa 1977-1978 that just needs to be dusted off where JW and the London Symphony Orch. could just play it and record it? Or was there in fact whole session tapes already recorded by JW and the LSO? My gut feeling tells me it depends on how soon in the process Richard Donner was fired, because if I understand the filmmaking process enough at least as a layperson, the music isn't typically written until the director is ready to go into the post-production phase. I don't think they got to that phase. Unless, since SI and SII were done pretty much at the same time (until Donner decided to just move ahead and complete SI), Donner may have had JW record both scores at the same time, I don't know. Wishful thinking, anyway...

Stanton Heck

Agent
I don't thik JOhn Williams ever one scoring session of Superman II. In order to score a movie there needs to be a completed movie! Richard Donner never "had the chance to finished Superman 2" so therefor John Williams did not compose anything for Superman II. I hope arner Brothers does get John WIlliams to re-score SUperman II but I wouldn't count on it! He might do it as a favor to Donner but hell time is money.

galenPP

Auditioning
My guess is that John never wrote a score for S@ because the score is the LAST thing to be done for a film. That being said, he may have had some ideas floating around his head while he composing the S1 score that never saw the light of day because of the lunacy of the Salkinds. Everything else the Salkinds produced was pure crap. The only reason S2 worked at all was because it was all based on the material and work of Donner and his team.

I really hope he can participate in in the preoject. His absence was as great a loss as losing Donner as director.

I'm all for getting an original JW score and releasing the move to theatres. This is the one chance to do the whole project right. I'll bet John has already been consulted.

I own the two disc Superman CD (now out of print!). I bought it BEFORE it was actually released. I was thrilled! I can't believe how quickly it went out of print. One of his very best scores.

Stanton Heck

Agent
The only reason JW came back to score re-score "THE STAR WARS SPECIAL EDITIONS" is becaue he was going to do the new Star Wars movies! Maybe if he is scoring the new Superman movies he will re-score the SPECIAL EDITIONS OF SUPERMAN II but I am not counting on it..

Avinash J

Auditioning
Hello,

I just visited the SupermanCinema website and learned about the Superman: The 14-disc Ultimate DVD Collection. This will be a dream come true, when or if it happens. I am hoping Time Warner / WB will provide the following:

Superman Theatrical cut

Superman Director's Cut (308 min.) (longest footage known)

Superman Special Features

Superman II Theatrical cut and RIC Cut (Approx. 152 min.)

Superman II Donner cut

Superman II Special Features

Superman III Theatrical cut

Superman III Extended cut (Approx. 143 min.)

Superman III Special Features

Superman IV Theatrical cut

Superman IV 134 min cut

Supergirl Theatrical cut

Supergirl International cut

Supergirl Special Features

I would like to know if anyone has any further information regarding this Ultimate edition. If so, I would really appreciate it if you can share it.

Thank you

Stanton Heck

Agent
This just a rumor but I heard the original "Making of Superman, Superman II, & Superman III" are to be included. Each ran 1hr when they aired on ABC. Each one aired before the movies opened! The making of "Superman" aired in 1978. The making of "Superman II" aired in 1981, and Making of "Superman III" aired in 1983. I don't know if they had one on "Superman IV".

I think with the passing of Christopher Reeves,& Richard Pryor they should include the making of "Superman III". Each star has a very loyal audience!

I hope there is a "truthful" documentay on "Superman II". To me that would be a great documentary! They include interviews with Richard Donner, Richard Lester, Margot Kidder, Jackie Cooper and more! I also want to know if its true that Jackie Cooper helped direct a few scenes in "Superman II".

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I read via The Digital Bits that, on DVD, the Donner cut of Superman II will only be available in that ultimate collection. No problem here, I almost wouldn't hesitate to pick up the collection, unless there are any major issues reported by the esteemed reviewers here and elsewhere.

There is a 50th Anniversary of Superman documentary, made in 1987 that has a lot of behind the scenes footage and interviews relating to Superman IV, I hope this is included also in the set.

Anybody have a scoop on how much this Ultimate Edition would cost? I mainly want a special edition of Superman II but I wouldn't be willing to pay, say, $50-$100 for a whole anthology of Superman movies. I have a wife, a kid, a mortgage, etc. etc.

Avinash J

Auditioning
Correction:

I my previous post, I stated Superman The Movie Directors Cut (308 min). I meant 3 Hr. and 8 Min. (188 min.)

Avi

Kenneth s

Auditioning
I'm particularly looking forward to Superman - the 3 hour version. Hopefully they will release the theatrical cut and the fullest extended version that ABC aired in the early 1980s.

Avinash J

Auditioning
For your information:

I was just on "Welcome to our live chat with Warner Home Video." I asked if the longest known versions of the four Superman Films will be included in the 14-disc Box Set, aside from the Superman II Donner Cut.

Here is the response:

"Work is ongoing on the Superman Set. More will be revealed in months ahead. Trust that we know what the fans want, and we really want to deliver the goods."

I am really hoping WB will make us happy.

Richard Matich

Stunt Coordinator
You people are like crazy crack addicts with your Super Duper Man 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ETC. WOW!!! Thats devotion. :D Me loves the man of steel but dam. Four or five threads on Super Man. LOL. :D I'm just kidding you all.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Stanton Heck said:
I also want to know if its true that Jackie Cooper helped direct a few scenes in "Superman II".
I think the cleaning lady helped direct a few scenes for "Superman II."

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Warner Bros... to follow up my original request made over 5 years ago..... thank you for releasing the Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II. Thanks to everyone who supported this petition over the years.... now go out and buy the Donner Cut!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks