What's new

Warner Archive Launches Streaming Service (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Eastmancolor said:
I've signed up for the free 2 week trial and am having lots of problems with the service. I have a Roku 2 and I keep getting a "Video Playback Error" screen which kicks me out of the film I'm watching. I got thru about 20 minutes of THE MAYOR OF HELL when the message hit. You can only click on "Done" which takes you back to the movie startup screen. I restarted the film and fast forwarded to the scene I was in before the error message and was then able to continue the film. Then, 20 minutes before the end of the movie, an error message. Now I can only watch about 10 seconds at a time before it shuts off.

Anyone else having issues getting thru an entire film without issue, especially an HD one? Is this a WB bandwidth issue?
I signed up for the two week trial yesterday. Last night, I watched 2 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip. The first episode played fine; the second had the problem you describe. About 13 minutes in, I got that "video playback error". I, too had to restart and fast-forward to resume the program. This happened 3 or 4 times with that episode.

I tried to start a few movies to see if they really looked like High-def masters. Lust For Life kept failing on me as well. I am using a Roku 2 XS, no problems streaming Netflix, or Amazon Prime in HD. I've also streamed quite a bit from Acorn. Previous to this WB Archive problem, I've never had any issues with streaming. I have high-speed U-Verse DSL connected directly via LAN cable to the Roku.

The price is not bad for me as WB has a lot of potential programming my wife and I would enjoy. But, I hope they can do something about the "video playback error", as I find that too tiresome to put up with for $10 a month.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
David_B_K said:
"I signed up for the two week trial yesterday. Last night, I watched 2 episodes of 77 Sunset Strip. The first episode played fine; the second had the problem you describe. About 13 minutes in, I got that "video playback error". I, too had to restart and fast-forward to resume the program. This happened 3 or 4 times with that episode."
I am using a Roku 3 and have encountered the same "video playback error" a few times. Most recently I got it with less than 5 minutes left on a 77 Sunset Strip episode. When I restarted and fast fowarded it played to the end with no problem. Last week I received the error a number of times so maybe it's getting better but not yet fixed.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I got a response yesterday directly from Warner Archive Instant regarding the "video playback error" issue:

"We can confirm that there was an outage at one of our third party providers that was out of our control resulting in the playback issues you have experienced. We are working at resolving it ASAP - sorry for the issue, we appreciate your understanding and forbearance. Again, sorry for any frustrations, we know just how you feel. Please continue to keep us informed of any problems you are encountering. We appreciate it - and you."

So it appears that they are aware of the problem and will hopefully have it fixed soon.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
The Warner Archive Instant streaming site appears to be up and running properly now. No "video playback error" messages at all tonight.

Thanks to Warners for fixing the problem quickly.

The HD transfers look great!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I got the new Roku 3 unit. Trying to decide whether to hook it up in my main HT in which I have the Roku Stick connected to my Oppo 103 BD player or just move the Roku 3 to my bedroom HT. I'm wondering about having two different Roku units hooked up at the same time with Warner Streaming as to whether the system can handle it billing-wise.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm getting the video playback error messages tonight while trying to watch a "77" episode.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Warner Archive has added a bunch more titles to their streaming site in the past couple of days. The full SALEMS LOT mini-series in HD looks great. I would love to have a Blu-ray release of that one!

Mixing in the additional shots that were included with the original European theatrical cut of the film would be a nice extra for that Blu-ray. Or perhaps just include the entire European theatrical version as an extra.

Anyway, some interesting new titles on the streaming site. Here's hoping more is added to the musical and silent categories the next go-round.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm very happy with the Warner Indtant service. Quality is excellent overall.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I hadn't looked into it. Given the backlog of things I have to view it is difficult to justify adding another source and monthly charge. The ability to see some of the titles in HD, where no other option exists, is tempting however.

I'd like to see them expand their support to other devices beyond the Roku. (Just another thing I'd have to purchase as it currently stands. Not a deal breaker, but I don't need yet another box on the HT rack.) I would guess that if they could add Xbox 360 and PS3 support for their service their subscriptions would increase quite a bit.

- Walter.

johnniedoo

Auditioning
Real Name
John D
I have been using Ntflx for years, and streaming as long as i was able. I buy WB archive movies all the time and would love to be able to stream from the archive. I do not have a ROKU and had no intention of getting one. My tv and BD player all have streaming apps and i got them for one reason: they had Ntflix available through them. Secondarily ,they had a handful of others, youtube being the one i knew of and Pandora was , then, new to me. Now I use and love it. I purchased the tv and bd player July '10. I stream throgh my computer as well through the internet. I use hulu, free, used it from the launch. I pay only for ntflix as an additional service charge to my monthly 'entertainment' fees through the Cox calbe co bundle offered in my area. I do not have any options here. I get excellent throughput and service,so , only fiber connections would be attractive, but unavailable currently.
So, if WB becomes available through other sources, I will be interested. Not, however, if i am forced to get another new box for just one service. I have a slew of them i dont use in my tv, bd, laptop, and pocket devices.
Thanks for the information here.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I can't be the only one or they wouldn't be adding movies at such a fast pace. I was away for 4 days and when I got back yesterday it appears they've added at least a couple dozen more titles and a great many in HD that are not out on bluray. As I've said before I'm just happy they have included their otherwise unavailable detective shows.

johnniedoo

Auditioning
Real Name
John D
I would love to have this service available. I buy from WB archive already. But,as a few prior posters have indicated, there are a load of TV detective series available to stream that I know I would enjoy but very unlikely to purchase. I watched those early BurtReynolds detective shows(and proliferation of others) I would stream, but , lets face it, they were never all too great. Much better now as nostalgia, antique, novelty,whatever, than they were first time out of the gate.
But , 77SunsetStrip was a cult type show among our teen age cliques when it came out. I am just overloaded with app specific devices.
I bought a specific model of BluRay player simply because it had the Netflix app. It was a very good player, but that was secondary; something very unusual for my typical buying standards. The WII had netflix and/or something else. the iPad,iPod, PowerBook and AppleTv,The PS2, PS3, XBoX another and more of the same. I have the WD 4GB, 6GB, Clouds, NAS each and severally containing TV,Video and movie storage and streaming functions.
It is like the wild west as far as standardizations go.
As well reviewed as the ROKU devices have been, I am just a big gunshy when it comes to adding another proprietary device. Tech advances have had ROKU update, upgrade and evolve into newer and better models every few months, it seems, from lite or SE versions to the 3rd generation. as did the game console form factor.
I just am interested in having access to streaming content directly from WB, and any others, Paramount, etc. I rent ton of Acorn stuff .
Just another 3¢ in favor of WBstreaming from its site or without needing any ROKU...Let ROKU be an option, not a necessity.
Thanks for all the interesting info here

mark-edk

Second Unit
I signed up for the two-week free trial and I can't watch a single episode of, say, Hawaiian Eye without the stream being interrupted at least once, more often multiple times, with some of the interruptions and 'video errors' described in the previous posts. This is on a Roku that presents no such problems watching Amazon or Netflix. I was a user during the beta test phase and the service was more reliable at that time than it has been for me over the past week. If matters don't improve considerably I'll cancel at the end of the two weeks, which is too bad because if it worked I'd stay on.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I've had the WB service on a Roku 3 since it became available. While there were some problems initially with load and other errors during a program, for the last few months I've had no issues. Just watched a "77 Sunset Strip" episode last night with no errors.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I have been a subscriber to the Warner Archive Instant service for several months now, and have had no problems at all with my connection. I am using a Roku stick plugged into my Oppo Blu-Ray player. Since I often "sample" older movies before I commit to watching the whole film, this service is perfect for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks