What's new

Warner Archive Launches Streaming Service (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I spent hours today viewing streaming material from Instant WA. I utilized the Roku Streaming Stick connected to my Oppo 103 BD player. The best resolution I can get from their high definition offerings was 720p. I viewed Back to Bataan and Mark of the Vampire in their entirety while sampling other titles such as Lust for Life and Dark Passage. I found the streaming less problematic PQ-wise than I had with Amazon Prime on my Panny BD players. I'm going to try Amazon Prime next on the Roku/Oppo 103 combination to see if I observed any PQ improvement over my Amazon Prime viewings on my Panny BD players. The two titles I'll be sampling are The Agony and the Ecstasy and The Naked Jungle. Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anybody getting 1080p out of Instant WA? I set up my Roku Stick to download 1080p, but I can't get nothing better than 720p out of Instant WA as well as Amazon Prime. Crawdaddy

justgarth

Auditioning
Real Name
Garth
Why can't I get a WAI Redemption/Invite Code? I'm a huge fan of the Classics and watch TCM often. More often than regular broadcast networks. Can anyone help me out so I can join the Beta Test?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's closed now. No code left to get. I have been using it and so far, so good (don't know about the 1080p issue), though I won't be subscribing unless they offer a deeper bench of titles, which I assume they will be. I also hope that the HD titles that aren't out yet on Blu make the leap onto disc.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Remember the Warner Instanr program will revolve titles each month to keep the selection fresh. They are not going to put out everything on this Service as they still Want you to purchase their discs :) This Information was revealed last year when WA Sent out a Survey about the program.

KHH256

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Towergrove said:
Remember the Warner Instanr program will revolve titles each month to keep the selection fresh. They are not going to put out everything on this Service as they still Want you to purchase their discs :) This Information was revealed last year when WA Sent out a Survey about the program.
I received that survey as well, and there were many options and multiple choice selections in the questions on that survey. It doesn't seem that one should assume anything as a proposed option in that survey be taken as confirmed fact.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Robert Crawford said:
Anybody getting 1080p out of Instant WA? I set up my Roku Stick to download 1080p, but I can't get nothing better than 720p out of Instant WA as well as Amazon Prime. Crawdaddy
I haven't tried the Warner site in 1080p but Amazon Prime is certainly full HD. I'll try the Warner site when I get home tonight.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
KHH256 said:
I received that survey as well, and there were many options and multiple choice selections in the questions on that survey. It doesn't seem that one should assume anything as a proposed option in that survey be taken as confirmed fact.
My assumption isnt based solely on the questionaire but also the seminars and sessions I have taken part in during the creation of the process. Regardless of the final outcome the system is made to promote and sell the Warner Catalogue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
I haven't tried the Warner site in 1080p but Amazon Prime is certainly full HD. I'll try the Warner site when I get home tonight.
I think the Roku stick attached to my Oppo 103 has limit the HD to 720p with Prime, but if I use a Panny BD player with Prime, I get 1080p.
Crawdaddy

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Sorry for the late reply but it took some time to try the site out again. My Roku is reading 1080p but it doesn't seem to be that. I don't know if it's just the Beta version or what but it doesn't appear to be a full HD. The 4:3 material actually looks much better to me than a few of the widescreen films I've sampled. I mentioned HORROR OF DRACULA not looking all that and I'll add CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN as well. I skipped through BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK and it looks very good but it still doesn't match the HD on Netflix or Amazon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list] Free trial was supposed to end today but I still have it. Also a survey was sent out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had my Roku connected right to the tv and everything coming out to the tv shows as 1080p.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Received an email offering 2 week free trial and then unlimited viewing for 9.99 per month. However, it doesn't appear their titles available have expanded beyond what they had during their Beta phase.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah, it seems like everything is the same as before. Still, $9.99 isn't a bad price but I'm going to hold off a month and see if they update some new titles every few weeks. I especially hope to see some titles that aren't shown on TCM all the time or haven't yet been released.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As I posted on the Warner Archive thread the following are listed as coming soon.

Here is a list of films coming soon to the service.

[*]Title
[*]Release Date
[/list]
[*]Babe
[*]1975
[*]Bronk
[*]1975
[*]City Beneath The Sea
[*]1971
[*]Dream Lover
[*]1986
[*]Dream of Kings, A
[*]1970
[*]Drums of Africa
[*]1963
[*]Earth II
[*]1971
[*]El Condor
[*]1970
[*]Executive Action
[*]1973
[*]Fingers
[*]1978
[*]Fire
[*]1984
[*]Flap
[*]1970
[*]Flood
[*]1976
[*]Frisco Kid, The
[*]1979
[*]From Beyond the Grave
[*]1974
[*]Genesis II
[*]1973
[*]George Raft Story, The
[*]1961
[*]Get To Know Your Rabbit
[*]1972
[*]Girl Friends
[*]1978
[*]Girl in the Empty Grave, The
[*]1977
[*]Going In Style
[*]1979
[*]Grasshopper, The
[*]1970
[*]Greased Lightning
[*]1977
[*]Great Bank Hoax, The
[*]1978
[*]Great Santini, The
[*]1979
[*]Gumball Rally, The
[*]1976
[*]Hanging By A Thread
[*]1979
[*]Heart Beat
[*]1980
[*]Helter Skelter
[*]1976
[*]Hot Potato
[*]1975
[*]Hurricane Smith
[*]1991
[*]In-Laws, The
[*]1979
[*]Inside Out
[*]1975
[*]Just The Way You Are
[*]1984
[*]Kaleidoscope
[*]1966
[*]Klute
[*]1971
[*]Last of Sheila, The
[*]1973
[*]Late Show, The
[*]1977
[*]Lepke
[*]1974
[*]Lionheart
[*]1987
[*]Little Drummer Girl, The
[*]1984
[*]Little Romance, A
[*]1979
[*]Lucan
[*]1978
[*]Mail Order Bride
[*]1964
[*]The Man From Galveston
[*]1963
[*]Man in the Wilderness
[*]1971
[*]Mayday at 40,000 Feet!
[*]1976
[*]The Man in the Brown Suit
[*]1989
[*]McCabe and Mrs. Miller
[*]1971
[*]McClain's Law
[*]1981
[*]McQ
[*]1974
[*]Murder in Three Acts
[*]1986
[*]Murder is Easy
[*]1982
[*]Murder with Mirrors
[*]1985
[*]My Blood Runs Cold
[*]1965
[*]My Name is Bill W.
[*]1989
[*]Night Full of Rain, A
[*]1978
[*]Night Moves
[*]1975
[*]Night the Bridge Fell Down, The
[*]1983
[*]One Trick Pony
[*]1980
[*]Operation Daybreak
[*]1976
[*]Operation Heartbeat
[*]1969
[*]Orphans
[*]1987
[*]Our Time
[*]1974
[*]Outlaw Blues
[*]1977
[*]Over the Edge
[*]1979
[*]Plunderers, The
[*]1960
[*]Priest's Wife, The
[*]1971
[*]Prisoner of Second Avenue, The
[*]1975
[*]Promises in the Dark
[*]1979
[*]Rafferty and the Gold Dust Twins
[*]1975
[*]Rage
[*]1972
[*]Rain People, The
[*]1969
[*]Salem's Lot
[*]1979
[*]Sell-Out, The
[*]1976
[*]Sergeant, The
[*]1968
[*]Sins of Rachel Cade, The
[*]1961
[*]Squeeze, The
[*]1977
[*]St. Ives
[*]1976
[*]Start the Revolution Without Me
[*]1970
[*]Steelyard Blues
[*]1973
[*]Straight Time
[*]1978
[*]Swarm, The
[*]1978
[*]Sweet November
[*]1968
[*]Sybil
[*]1976
[*]Terminal Man
[*]1974
[*]Three The Hard Way
[*]1974
[*]Viva Knievel!
[*]1977
[*]Voices
[*]1979
[*]Yakuza, The
[*]1975
[/list]

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I bought the Roku 3 and now have Warner Instant up and running in my theater room. If I want to have this service in another room as well is it a separate subscription?

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
KHH256 said:
It wasn't an assumption...

from the archive website:
How long will I have to watch a movie?
You will have several months to watch most content. There will be a few exceptions with longer or shorter timeframes. But don't worry – content scheduled to be removed from the service will be listed as "Leaving Soon".
http://instant.warnerarchive.com/support.html#11

I never Assume.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Michael Elliott said:
Yeah, it seems like everything is the same as before. Still, $9.99 isn't a bad price but I'm going to hold off a month and see if they update some new titles every few weeks. I especially hope to see some titles that aren't shown on TCM all the time or haven't yet been released.
Titles will be circulated in and out regularly.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Gary16 said:
I bought the Roku 3 and now have Warner Instant up and running in my theater room. If I want to have this service in another room as well is it a separate subscription?
Have you used the audio headphones on the remote yet? If so what do you think of the sound quality?

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I've signed up for the free 2 week trial and am having lots of problems with the service. I have a Roku 2 and I keep getting a "Video Playback Error" screen which kicks me out of the film I'm watching. I got thru about 20 minutes of THE MAYOR OF HELL when the message hit. You can only click on "Done" which takes you back to the movie startup screen. I restarted the film and fast forwarded to the scene I was in before the error message and was then able to continue the film. Then, 20 minutes before the end of the movie, an error message. Now I can only watch about 10 seconds at a time before it shuts off.

This happened to me yesterday as well for LADY KILLER, though for that film I can't get past the opening credits. BLACK SCORPION lasted about a half an hour before the error message came up.

I've rebooted my Roku 2 to no effect. I have no problems with Amazon, Vudu or Netflix. I have an extremely fast wired internet connection and it's signal is perfectly strong.

Anyone else having issues getting thru an entire film without issue, especially an HD one? Is this a WB bandwidth issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks