What's new

Warner Archive Launches Streaming Service (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by ahollis
Both 77 Sunset Strip, Hawiian Eye along Surfside 6 and Bourbon Street Beat have had WAC responses on Facebook. Those answers were we would love to put these out but there are many music rights issues. We are working on them.
Now whether those rights have been cleared up or it they are permissible for streaming is another question.
I guess it's possible that streaming can be considered a "broadcast" delivery system, with these titles having their music cleared for TV broadcast years ago, but music rights still not being cleared for home video/ownership distribution.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
I guess it's possible that streaming can be considered a "broadcast" delivery system, with these titles having their music cleared for TV broadcast years ago, but music rights still not being cleared for home video/ownership distribution.

That's basically how it works, hence the availability of titles like The Wonder Years at Netflix and Amazon with very, very little music substitution. My guess is that to release the same content onto dvd would cost much more because it wouldn't be considered the same thing as a streaming "rental" of the content.
Gary "Jeff and I were just talking about this very issue yesterday" O.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Jeff Willis said:
Michael, Thanks for providing info on the "owning downloading" part of this discussion. Your point, about being able to burn one's own dvd copy of a purchased download for one's library, is a big point of interest for me as a dvd collector. This is something that I had assumed, given the major studio's history of locking out/encrypting, region-coding, etc, that this would also be prohibited due to imbedded encoding into purchased downloads. My question is, are other studios as supportive of private dvd collectors? In other words, are all purchased downloads (I'm basically interested in tv-series downloads) unlocked for legally-purchased customers to burn their own dvd copies of the purchased downloads?.
I'm going to guess yes. I've only bought downloads from Warner but I bought another one from Lionsgate (Total Recall) and I just tried to download a DVD-R copy and it did let me. Before I was into Roku I downloaded NEIGHBORS from Amazon because it wasn't yet available on DVD so it too is another that allowed me to burn my own disc. I'm pretty sure once you download it you can only make one copy but I guess this is fair. Something Weird offers most of their titles via downloads, which saves on shipping and other things. If people are going to be okay with these downloads then I don't think studios are going to continue to print discs themselves. I mean, $10 do-it-yourself or $15 + $3 shipping for a studio to do it. I'm sure in the long run it would save the studio money by just having people do the work at home. I doubt it would be too hard for people to download the cover art as well.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
To me as someone in the industry of entertainment and being essentially in love with many things, i collect a library of my own due to the fact i purposely want to relived them over and over. I own countless books that have all been read multiple times. I own many DVDs that have been watched multiple times of movies and tv shows. etc. To me a streaming service (or even a public library) has never been appealing because i don't ever feel "done" with anything when it's over. I want to explore it more and not owning a copy of it doesn't really allow you to do that. I blind buy stuff all the time and very rarely do i ever find something i don't want to ever try again within my genres. Since to me a book that's read only once, a movie that's watched only once or a video game played only once is pretty much a failure to the artist side of my mind and the business side of my mind. I think digital media is the future, but i don't think it'll take over within any of our life times. As long as people who have been alive to witness the time and understand the saying "technology is good when you have it but know it doesn't always work" then physical media will be produced too. Our descendents who grow up without that feeling as technology gets better and better will probably see to the end of it but i doubt they are going to stop making DVDs and Blurays in anyone posting here's life time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I got a code today so tomorrow I'll have a chance to check it out. "We are pleased to offer you a free beta subscription to our new streaming service, Warner Archive Instant. Until March 1, you'll be able to browse and stream rare and hard-to-find movies and TV shows from the Warner Bros. library. Enter this Invitation Code on our website to create a Warner Archive Instant account. If you already have an account with the WBshop, Warner Archive Collection or WBID, please log in with the same email and password. ”

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
TonyD said:
I got a code today so tomorrow I'll have a chance to check it out.
Did it come from Warner, Roku, someone reading this thread??? I must admit that I'm a little upset that I haven't gotten this code yet considering how much money I've dropped on them over the last decade and not to mention how many people I turn to their Archive site each week (not that they would know this).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Michael Elliott
Did it come from Warner, Roku, someone reading this thread???
I must admit that I'm a little upset that I haven't gotten this code yet considering how much money I've dropped on them over the last decade and not to mention how many people I turn to their Archive site each week (not that they would know this).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just want some clarification. At this point, the only way to use the WB Instant is via a ROKU device? (provided you've gotten an invite and account). If this is true, their Beta test should see some positive results, considering they are 'preaching to the choir'. Because if you've already purchased a ROKU, you are already pre-disposed to streaming. I'm curious, does anyone know how quickly other devices (smart tv, blu-ray player, etc) tend to add new streaming companies? David

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
On their site it says it works through a browser on both a PC and Mac. It works on my MacBook. No way to save a Que so its search and watch. Only 173 titles so far.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Camps
I filled that out 2 days ago and got a "thank you" from WAC but still no email from them with a code to use to access the beta site...
Have you tried simply using your wbshop.com login & password on the site? I think you may only need the code for a Roku device.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
TonyD said:
That doesn't work. Invite code is needed.
And I'm guessing all of us here can't get into the channel using the same WB code, so I won't bother asking you to reveal your code here, Tony. :D I'll just wait patiently for WB to open the channel up to the public. Beta sites are for working out kinks, not for determining whether to launch a product/service. Presumably they've already made that decision. Looking forward to the full launch.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The email says the free trial is only until the end of this month but doesn't say when the full launch or the price will be revealed.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
I have no interest in relying on remote servers for my movies. And I especially don't care for movies that carry proprietary DRM protection attached to them and requiring a remote server to decrypt them. Unless WAC allows these streams to be downloaded DRM-free or comes with a local decryption method that can be used on multiple machines, they won't be receiving a dime from me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'm curious to watch FREAKS and see if it's a new transfer. I know they did a lot of work on the original DVD but it was still rough in spots due to the film's history. They've also been sitting on a Tod Browning documentary that I'm dying to see. From what I've heard it's been done for a couple years now and if so I'd really like to see them show it. Hopefully some of the rarer Browning films might become available on a station like this. I'm still waiting for the code but I'm guessing Warner will be pressing to get the site out there when it goes live. I guess they could always give away a free week whenever someone buys a MOD or do other specials to get people into it. Hopefully other studios will start this or perhaps just work out a deal with Warner to show the movies there.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the first time, I've been kind of experimenting with downloading and streaming between Amazon Prime and Apple TV. Which uses more of any quota your ISP might place on you, downloading or streaming? Also, downloading appears to offer better PQ than streaming which isn't surprising considering each process. Crawdaddy

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
A while back I downloaded A MAJORITY OF ONE from Warner as I had never seen it and it was a bit cheaper than the DVD. I was able to watch it one time, but since then, when I have tried it, I get an error message saying that it can't confirm the rights. I understood that I was "buying" the movie but now I can't watch it. I do need to contact customer service as I am sure they can sort it out, but it makes me wary of what the words "buy" or "purchase" mean when it comes to downloads. I also purchased a digital download copy of a Big Bang episode that I had missed, but discovered that I couldn't access it over my home network, only on the computer the file "lives" on. Frustrating. If I buy something I think I prefer it to be sitting on my shelf. Streaming is another story. I have had good luck with streaming from amazon prime and netflix, especially for things I will likely watch only once. It's actually been a good way to "audition" things I hadn't seen and was unsure about. Then, I buy the blu-ray if its something I want to have in a collection. Last night, I watched an HD stream from amazon of a Cheers episode that looked far better than a DVD could look.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
@Bryan That's the problem I have with the whole downloading/streaming idea. Blu-Rays and DVD's simply work by decrypting at the local level. Much easier to deal with and less hassle on the consumer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks