What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (3 Viewers)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Their sales during this time of they year have never been all that great, though this one is particularly weak.

Any hope for a good anniversary sale?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
JoHud said:
Their sales during this time of they year have never been all that great, though this one is particularly weak.

Any hope for a good anniversary sale?
Anniversary of what? Since the site changed hands or since WA started up? Either way, I'm not holding my breath.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
classicmovieguy said:
Anniversary of what? Since the site changed hands or since WA started up? Either way, I'm not holding my breath.

Since the Archive began around March. Originally they had strong sales around that time of year, but they missed the boat last year for some reason.

But all in all, it seems their $12 dollar sales are the best they can manage now. Hopefully they have at least more of them instead of just Black Friday and Xmas. That's all I have left to hope for.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I buy my WBA titles from other venues at this point . I haven't put in an order with Warner Archives since they changed over to the new site . Bad sales and the uncertainty when you get a bad disc on replacement did me in . Since things always change , I'll hold out hope that it goes back to the way it used to be . Good sales and consistent customer service . Maybe a new website like the old one ? Who knows?

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
A trio on Monograms/Allied Artists in February -

Arctic Flight (1952)

Desert Pursuit (1952)

Mexican Manhunt (1953)

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
GregoryMesh said:
A trio on Monograms/Allied Artists in February -

Arctic Flight (1952)

Desert Pursuit (1952)

Mexican Manhunt (1953)

Great news that they're getting into the early-'50s Allied Artists obscurities. And if they're going to be releasing early Cold War titles (like "Arctic Flight") -- and for that matter '50s George Brent titles -- then here's hoping they dig out "Tangier Incident" ('53).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just noticed that Station West, a personal favorite of mine is coming out from Warner Archive on January 12th. Also, The Younger Brothers.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoelA said:
So true, and what's interesting is that from what I recall reading Lucy was told she was crazy for giving up her movie career where she was making about $80K a year in 1951. A lot of money then considering the average US household income was about $3700.00 that year

Yeah Lucy was Crazy--Like a Fox! :)

One long postponed set that has never happened, which I'd still love to see is the WHEELER & WOOLSEY, VOL. 2 DVD set, that was supposed to have been released in February, 2013! I'd be in for both volumes if only WA would issue this, though sadly, nearly 3 years on, I have my doubts that they ever will!

CHEERS! :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Why doubt they "ever will"? They said they are working on it, a lot of those RKO films are in rough shape and take a while to safely transfer, and they've got a massive backlog to work through. Some of these films have been in the works for several years. It may take a while longer, but never say never when it comes to them (unless there's known rights issues).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
JoHud said:
Why doubt they "ever will"? They said they are working on it, a lot of those RKO films are in rough shape and take a while to safely transfer, and they've got a massive backlog to work through. Some of these films have been in the works for several years. It may take a while longer, but never say never when it comes to them (unless there's known rights issues).
Station West is an RKO film.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoHud said:
Hi Joe!

Oh, I so wish that I could agree with you regarding the WHEELER & WOOLSEY, VOL. 2 set, but Volume 2 was actually slated for release, THEN postponed without ANY explanation AFTER Volume 1 had already been issued! I could be mistaken (And I hope I am!), but 3 years seems an awfully long postponement! Had somebody at Warner come out and said something to the effect of "We're searching for missing Film elements" from, let's say COCKEYED CAVALIERS (As what actually did happen with the Bowery Boys MR. HEX, holding back the release of their four volumes for several years!), that would indeed, support your above hypothesis. However, so far as I know, nobody at Warner has stated anything as such regarding the remaining unissued Wheeler & Woolsey Films in their catalogue.

My thought is that Warner pulled the plug because they weren't happy with the sales of the Volume 1 set, but I'm admittedly just spitballing, here!

Tony

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tony

I am waiting for the remaining Wheeler and Woolsey films too. I honestly don't remember Volume 2 being officially announced just that they are working on it. I ask them about it from time to time on facebook and they state that they are still working on it but the films are in rough shape so they need a lot of work. They also stated it would include the 3 remaining RKO films plus a solo film from each of them. I personally expect to see it in the first half of this year because the last time I asked they strongly hinted that it should be coming this year.

Suzanne.S

Second Unit
Real Name
Suzanne
Tony Bensley said:
My thought is that Warner pulled the plug because they weren't happy with the sales of the Volume 1 set, but I'm admittedly just spitballing, here!

I don't think sales numbers really factor into any Warner Archive decisions. Time and again, George Feltenstein has said that the plan is to release as many films from the catalog as they can. The whole idea behind the Archive sales model is that they don't have to rely on sales numbers and precedents in order to determine whether or not a title is viable for release. They have released some extraordinarily obscure titles as well as some more well known. Often things get delayed. Like Show Boat (1936) for example. Warner had stated several times that they were working on it but it dragged on for years before it was released and then before they really wanted to. (They had wanted to release a box set of all the versions.)

I wouldn't give up hope. They usually come through for us. It just never, ever seems fast enough. ;)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Joe!

Oh, I so wish that I could agree with you regarding the WHEELER & WOOLSEY, VOL. 2 set, but Volume 2 was actually slated for release, THEN postponed without ANY explanation AFTER Volume 1 had already been issued! I could be mistaken (And I hope I am!), but 3 years seems an awfully long postponement! Had somebody at Warner come out and said something to the effect of "We're searching for missing Film elements" from, let's say COCKEYED CAVALIERS (As what actually did happen with the Bowery Boys MR. HEX, holding back the release of their four volumes for several years!), that would indeed, support your above hypothesis. However, so far as I know, nobody at Warner has stated anything as such regarding the remaining unissued Wheeler & Woolsey Films in their catalogue.

Tony

Randy Korstick said:
Hi Tony

I am waiting for the remaining Wheeler and Woolsey films too. I honestly don't remember Volume 2 being officially announced just that they are working on it. I ask them about it from time to time on facebook and they state that they are still working on it but the films are in rough shape so they need a lot of work. They also stated it would include the 3 remaining RKO films plus a solo film from each of them. I personally expect to see it in the first half of this year because the last time I asked they strongly hinted that it should be coming this year.

FYI Tony and Randy, received this reply from WAC's FB page about 8 hours ago-

"We still have more work to do on some of the W&W features for V2, but it is likely that 2016 'might' be the year that we finally get this long-awaited collection completed. We appreciate the support and patience of the fans who await this release (as we do ourselves). Thanks."

Part of the mission statement for the WAC that George Feltenstein outlined from the very beginning is that the plans are to release everything WB owns in the vault, so with that in mind and the above reply, I have no doubt these titles will be released.

Another interesting fact is that Mr. Feltenstein stated a while back that 92% of all titles released through the WAC are profitable within the first year. That's an amazing statistic, so no wonder other studios (with varying degrees of success) jumped on the Archive bandwagon.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I believe that I somehow mixed up the Wheeler & Woolsey, Vol.1 and Vol. 2 sets, and that it was the first one that got delayed with no formal announcement of a second Volume!

My apologies for any unintended passing of misinformation on my part regarding the above! Clearly, my memory isn't what it used to be! Also, thank you very much Randy, for providing up to date information regarding a possible Wheeler & Woolsey, Vol. 2 set by Warner for later this year, contingent of course, on whether the work on their remaining Features is completed in time for this to happen!

Here's a link to the relevant Wheeler & Woolsey Topic that I actually started exactly one year ago, today, in case anyone reading this has anything to add: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/337786-wheeler-woolsey-when-will-warner-archive-release-bert-roberts-remaining-films/

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Doe said:
Coming on February 16:

The Angry Hills (1959)

Go Naked in the World (1961)

Thank you. I'll have both of them! I love those two G.I.s - Gina Lollobrigida and Gia Scala.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Tony Bensley said:
I believe that I somehow mixed up the Wheeler & Woolsey, Vol.1 and Vol. 2 sets, and that it was the first one that got delayed with no formal announcement of a second Volume!

My apologies for any unintended passing of misinformation on my part regarding the above! Clearly, my memory isn't what it used to be! Also, thank you very much Randy, for providing up to date information regarding a possible Wheeler & Woolsey, Vol. 2 set by Warner for later this year, contingent of course, on whether the work on their remaining Features is completed in time for this to happen!

Here's a link to the relevant Wheeler & Woolsey Topic that I actually started exactly one year ago, today, in case anyone reading this has anything to add: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/337786-wheeler-woolsey-when-will-warner-archive-release-bert-roberts-remaining-films/

Hey Tony, no need for apologies. The worst thing that happened here is that we received the most recent update on something we want to own and what's unusual about the Archive's reply is that they are usually very reluctant to include any indication at all regarding dates and/or years for release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks