What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
David Weicker said:
I would have preferred a full set ( and wonder why the '36 version couldn't have been put on Blu - perfect candidate for an Archive Blu IMO).
I agree. My initial impression was that the Archive would release Blu versions of films that weren't in demand enough for a national rollout but had a significant following for a niche market. I would have thought this version of Show Boat would easily qualify for that.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark-P said:
In Warner Archive's year-end wrap-up podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/warner-archive-collection-podcast/episode/31111088?autoplay=true
they announced that next year a new WAC Blu-ray will be released of a black and white movie. They wouldn't reveal the title, but gave the following clues: It is one of the major titles of their catalog. It wasn't a success during it's theatrical release. It's an MGM picture. It was released after 1960.
Any ideas what it might be?
And the answer is:
917uv4HGWXL._SL1500_.jpg

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Do I receive a prize for getting it right? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, when they get around to releasing the 1951 version of "Show Boat" I pray they include those splendid Stereo tracks used on the Laserdisc.

Doug.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Charles Smith said:
Mine is on its way. And dare I confess it? -- This is my first WAC DVD purchase at list price.
I have for a select few, but I normally limit full priced purchases to their multi-film sets and short collections. This one's definitely the first in recent memory.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Well, though I had resisted thinking I would wait for the Blu ray, I guess I'll succumb.
Can anyone tell me who is usually the first online retailer to list new Archive discs? It's not up on Amazon and Warner Archive won't ship overseas.
Thanks

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
AnthonyClarke said:
Well, though I had resisted thinking I would wait for the Blu ray, I guess I'll succumb.
Can anyone tell me who is usually the first online retailer to list new Archive discs? It's not up on Amazon and Warner Archive won't ship overseas.
Thanks
Showboat is listed as an 'Shop Exclusive', so I imagine it will be some time before they let it out to other retailers.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
On the podcast they said that the pressed disc of Showboat will only be available Warner Archive and WBshop websites.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
AnthonyClarke said:
Well, though I had resisted thinking I would wait for the Blu ray, I guess I'll succumb.Can anyone tell me who is usually the first online retailer to list new Archive discs? It's not up on Amazon and Warner Archive won't ship overseas.Thanks
It usually takes two to four weeks for the titles to appear on Amazon, Movies Unlimited, TCM, and other outlets after they hit WAC.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The SHOWBOAT transfer is excellent. Sad, though, that the promised blu ray box set never appeared....the the 1936 version has been relegated to mail order MOD.

FrankXS

Second Unit
According to Movies Unlimited's upcoming website, a June Allyson 4 DVD-R Value Pack will be available on May 6, 2014.
The four titles are The Secret Heart, The Girl in White, Too Young to Kiss and High Barbaree. The price is $69.99. This appears to be their first "exclusive" titles since the Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy musicals from Warner Archives.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
June Allyson's name provokes a violent allergic reaction among the people I know. They all believe her greatest performance is in The Shrike (probably true, although I saw the film when I was far too young). Look up that film and you'll see why.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
bujaki said:
June Allyson's name provokes a violent allergic reaction among the people I know. They all believe her greatest performance is in The Shrike (probably true, although I saw the film when I was far too young). Look up that film and you'll see why.
I must admit I can't stand June Allyson. I've never seen The Shrike. Perhaps I should.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It's a different June, and most critics say it's her best-ever performance, but I don't find her THAT effective in it. She's not an actress who plumbs the depths of characters. She's much more comfortable in light comedy or musicals.

That said, in that upcoming set, she did win the Golden Globe for Too Young to Kiss as Best Actress in a Comedy/Musical. In the right movie, I like her a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks