What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I just received my Danny Kaye: The Goldwyn Years today and confirm that they are, indeed, pressed discs. It's a 4 disc set.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thomas T said:
I just received my Danny Kaye: The Goldwyn Years today and confirm that they are, indeed, pressed discs. It's a 4 disc set.
Heh, I had my set sitting around for over a week unopened. Had no idea they'd be pressed! I might actually let go of the older DVD editions I have of these.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
JoelA said:
Have you had a chance to at least preview them? How are the transfers?
Very impressed from what I have seen. Wonder Man and A Song is Born are equal to their previous DVD counterparts (as in very good).

However, the real treat is what they had done with Up in Arms and The Kid From Brooklyn. While not perfect, these are decidedly not VHS/laserdisc era transfers and look very pleasing. The Kid From Brooklyn edges out Up in Arms in transfer quality and completely thrashes that horrid Spanish DVD that had previously been the only legit release of the film. Up in Arms is easily better than any print I had seen on TV.

And they all have trailers! Very surprised. The only thing missing are the subtitles available on the old A Song is Born DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
JoelA said:
Have you had a chance to at least preview them? How are the transfers?
Up In Arms, Wonder Man and The Kid From Brooklyn are decent, colorful transfers with a very slight softness to them. It doesn't look like any remastering was done as they look pretty much like their laser disc counterparts did. A Song Is Born looks the best but it's a port from the previous DVD release.

All four films have their trailers.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Thomas T said:
Up In Arms, Wonder Man and The Kid From Brooklyn are decent, colorful transfers with a very slight softness to them. It doesn't look like any remastering was done as they look pretty much like their laser disc counterparts did. A Song Is Born looks the best but it's a port from the previous DVD release.

You're right about the softness. They're not recently remastered which is what I had come to expect from these, but I found them a sight better than the Kid Millions disc, which had a more an analog look to it. It seems that more often than not these Goldwyn transfers don't quite stack up to the best looking WB discs (both WAC and blu-ray).

Do you have the laserdiscs to compare them to? I have never seen them, just the VHS tapes.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
JoHud said:
You're right about the softness. They're not recently remastered which is what I had come to expect from these, but I found them a sight better than the Kid Millions disc, which had a more an analog look to it.

Do you have the laserdiscs to compare them to? I have never seen them, just the VHS tapes.
I do have the laser discs though I haven't watched them in quite awhile and I'm going on my memory. But I'm happy with the DVD transfers. As a huge Danny Kaye fan, I'd been waiting for them for a long time. It will be interesting to see if any remastering was done to the upcoming Secret Life Of Walter Mitty (the 1947 film, not the Stiller remake) coming out next month.

Speaking of laser discs, I've upgraded most of the titles to DVD but they're still here taking up needed space. Since there doesn't seem to be a market for lasers anymore, I'd hate to just toss them. Maybe a thrift store will take them.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I got the Danny Kaye Goldwyn set, and I have all the old HBO laserdiscs as well.

I also have the old HBO Wonder Man DVD.

I never got the other Song is Born DVD, so I have nothing to compare to on that, but these all look far superior to the lasers, visibly clearer and sharper, likely due to the greater resolution of DVD over LD. I also think that Wonder Man looks even a little better than the HBO DVD, which was nice looking to begin with.

It would make sense that they would all have come from the same safety film sources, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm very pleased with this release, and glad that they included trailers on each of them.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm in shock.
I just received Samuel Goldwyn's "KID MILLIONS"

IT'S NOT PROGRESSIVE.

It's obviously from an ancient analogue source.
Even the non progressive laserdisc looks sharper.
The Technicolor sequence is extremely soft on the DVD.

Hard to believe that this big disappointment is from the usually reliable Warner Archives.

I just wish I'd saved my money. (yet another non keep for the charity bin)

Are the new Danny Kaye titles progressive?

Doug.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Thomas T said:

Thanks for letting me know. I still own the lasers, also, but will be making the purchase. Love these films. I was hoping that with the new Stiller Mitty film being released next month that there may be a chance that Danny Kaye's version would be released on blu.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Doug Bull said:
I'm in shock.
I just received Samuel Goldwyn's "KID MILLIONS"

IT'S NOT PROGRESSIVE.

It's obviously from an ancient analogue source.
Even the non progressive laserdisc looks sharper.
The Technicolor sequence is extremely soft on the DVD.

Hard to believe that this big disappointment is from the usually reliable Warner Archives.

I just wish I'd saved my money. (yet another non keep for the charity bin)

Are the new Danny Kaye titles progressive?

Doug.
My VHS copy of KID MILLIONS looks great, esp. the Technicolor sequence. No need to upgrade.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
5 for $50 and and 10 for $95 sale going on now. There's also a sale on multidisc sets.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Nothing comes out the week after a Holiday Weekend. Rumour has it we have one week of Paramount reissues coming up and thats it for this year. They had a big push to get alot of titles out the past 2 months so they could have some time off in December.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Deep Discount currently has a sale of Warner Archive titles. Many are going for $7.99.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I'm guessing "Night Of The Iguana" or "The Americanization Of Emily"

Both have sales potential.

"The Outrage" could be an outsider, but I'm not sure that it would sell very well.

Doug.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks