What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Appreciate the heads-up on "Maverick S3" but I will say just for myself, that I don't consider the notion that a film helped send the Production Code packing to be a sign of greatness.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Yawn ... another week with nothing of interest. I've got all the ones that are being rereleased, and don't really care about the TV shows. When do we get some more silents? Some 1930s films? Or 1940s? Or 1950s? Am I the only one who wonders what has happened to all the still unreleased classics?

FrankXS

Second Unit
On another site, I've heard that the Archives will have a slow period for the Warner/MGM classic titles for the remainder of 2013........BUT there are many to come out in 2014. I guess we will have to be patient for a few months and save up our money.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
It certainly seems that the WAC is stuck with this big backlog of OOP Paramount titles that it's contractually obligated to release over their usual content. They definitely appear to have crowded out their usual content. Hopefully there aren't too much left.

As far as 2013 is concerned, a Three Stooges MGM shorts collection and a Vitaphone collection or two should be coming out in the next few months. Maybe another Monogram Cowboy set, which we haven't seen again in quite a while. Probably a few other surprises down the road too.

In this case a few of these have been OOP for a very long time. I believe Funeral In Berlin went OOP sometime in 2004 and hadn't seen a sane selling price ever since.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear FrankXS and JoHud ... thanks for the info. I'll just be patient and wait for a sale, so I can afford some of the more recent titles.
As always, Poder

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have Elephant Walk as a pressed disc in full frame. Was the movie shot this way? I have found other titles from WHV that I already have. Band Of Angels is another one I was hoping to see in wide screen.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
They've bounced Bowery Boys AND Maverick to the Archives but not theatrical cartoons. That's crazy. When will we be allowed access to Tex Avery or Happy Harmonies?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ken_Martinez said:
They've bounced Bowery Boys AND Maverick to the Archives but not theatrical cartoons. That's crazy. When will we be allowed access to Tex Avery or Happy Harmonies?
I don't know why they have to have the rigid subject matter separation between WHV and WA. I am happy to see WHV keep putting out theatrical cartoon releases on a widespread basis, but obviously, there are some types of releases that would make more sense for the Archives.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
PODER said:
Yawn ... another week with nothing of interest. I've got all the ones that are being rereleased, and don't really care about the TV shows. When do we get some more silents? Some 1930s films? Or 1940s? Or 1950s? Am I the only one who wonders what has happened to all the still unreleased classics?
I don't really get why people put in expressions like "Yawn" into their posts. I think it's fair for people to state what they hope for, but no one really cares that you don't care about the TV shows. Actually, in terms of WA sales, Maverick and Space stars should sell very well.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I'd imagine that one site may be jumping the gun on it being a bad rest of 2013. I don't really think anyone should be surprised that WA with a huge library of their own with an added deal for OOP Paramounts is moving a little slower than it was before the deal. Did some people expect it not to have any affect?

But regardless with them still having something to release or re-release just about every week of the year, i guess the pace doesn't really bother me. So far none of the Paramount re-releases have interested me, but that may change, but overall i'd say the chance to make some of those titles available again for their fans are worth the fact i may have to wait a little longer on some cartoons and movies i want.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Good points and I suspect that some day WHV will turn over some theatrical cartoons like Tex Avery, Happy Harmonies, Barney Bear to WA and they would gladly release them after some cleanup. But for now WHV seems to be holding onto all their theatrical cartoons even though they only seem to be interested in releasing Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry. WA can only release what WHV allows them access to.

JoeDoakes said:
I don't know why they have to have the rigid subject matter separation between WHV and WA. I am happy to see WHV keep putting out theatrical cartoon releases on a widespread basis, but obviously, there are some types of releases that would make more sense for the Archives.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear JoeDoakes ... wow! I guess I've been put in my place. I wasn't aware that stating preferences
was such an awful thing. "No one really cares" about my opinion? I think that may be your own opinion, but I'll limit my postings to specific questions from now on. As always, Poder
ps: I'm delighted for all the people who were eagerly awaiting MAVERICK and SPACE STARS. More power to them ...

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
As far as cartoons go, it does look like all of the theatrical shorts are being held in limbo due to ongoing negotiations and potential plans for wide retail on DVD and blu-ray.

Looney Tunes probably won't happen unless maybe they manage to separate the Harman-Ising efforts, Seven-Arts or (more vague and unlikely) pre-Avery/pre-Porky Pig shorts for the WAC. Not too likely. As for the MGM stuff, future attempts at releasing wide retail T&J and (possibly) Avery is probably what's keeping the whole batch from getting the WAC to work on them. However the WAC is probably the only way any of the others will get any home video release. Might happen. I guess the Famous Popeyes are also possible for the WAC but those seem like they might be prepped for wide retail alongside the 2015 CGI feature.

Something like a Harman-Ising WAC set could be doable, covering both the WB and MGM efforts. I don't think any of those are in any serious plans for home video and would make a good fit for the WAC.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
For those who haven't already noticed, the Warner Archive Site has just started a 5 for $50 Columbus Day sale, which includes several recent titles that hadn't been a part of the last such sale.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
I know who this comment is going to be addressed to but given the only animation thing from Shout Factory i have intention to own is going to no doubt be forever incomplete due to their laziness to solving rights issues, makes me laugh at the idea them getting more cartoons as a good thing. Although their Scream Factory releases have some stuff lined up that i think i will buy, as some are new to dvd and some re-releases that will be more easier to find. Maybe my opinion of them will go up.

And are we at the time of year for multiple sales already? We did have one just last week and now this one. Guess it's money spending time again.

Ken_Martinez

BANNED
Real Name
Ken
Most of the animated shows Warner owns have no rights issues to speak of. Beetlejuice didn't. Neither do the perpetually incomplete Jetsons and Real Adventures of Johnny Quest, among SO many others. Most of the holdups are due to Warner Archive treating animation as the low man on their totem pole.

Shout Factory went from announcing they had the rights to a complete series release in less than seven months. That is not in dispute. If Warner Archive had held onto that show, it would still be in limbo.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I agree Shout Factory did a very poor job on The Mr. Magoo tv release as well as Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo. What we have is better than nothing but still poor efforts. And I wouldn't call them fast when they announced Mr. Magoo theatricals over a year ago and its still not released and it has no release date in site. They released Beetlejuice because Warner did not have the rights to that show but being such a niche show it probably wouldn't have been very high on their priority list. I have read it has sold poorly for Shout. Its funny that Shout is being compared to WA for animated releases when WA has already released more classic animated shows this year than Shout has for the last 3 years and I don't think they consider animation a priority. Shout generally does a nice job on their TV show and movie releases and thats where their priorities are.
MattPriceTime said:
I know who this comment is going to be addressed to but given the only animation thing from Shout Factory i have intention to own is going to no doubt be forever incomplete due to their laziness to solving rights issues, makes me laugh at the idea them getting more cartoons as a good thing. Although their Scream Factory releases have some stuff lined up that i think i will buy, as some are new to dvd and some re-releases that will be more easier to find. Maybe my opinion of them will go up.

And are we at the time of year for multiple sales already? We did have one just last week and now this one. Guess it's money spending time again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks