1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PODER

PODER Well-Known Member

Rob ... many thanks! I look forward to your report.

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Well-Known Member

James Perry
    the Loved ONES! That was it. I got those mixed up. I'll take the one with Jonathan Winters.

Scare Jessica on Blu would be terrific if they cleaned it up a little. Perhaps like they did TCM.

3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I missed Hallelujah the first time around, so I'm glad to get another crack at it.

4. borisfw

borisfw Well-Known Member

Frank
    Same here . I guess I'll save a little cash . I hope this doen't become a trend . I like the new to DVD titles .

5. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

Well, the titles are certainly good ones (TARGETS, LADY IN A CAGE, LET'S SCARE JESSICA). However, most horror fans probably purchased those when they were new.

6. kingfish

kingfish Well-Known Member

still waiting patiently for the naked and the dead.

7. borisfw

Frank
    What is the issue with the naked and the dead? Is it rights or an elements issue?

8. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    Also a bit disappointed that David Copperfield and Marie Antoinette showed up. Does not bode well for blu-ray releases in the near future.

ajabrams likes this.
  9. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

About 6-8 months ago on their Facebook paged they stated it was an elements issue and they planned to start work on it soon.
    Nothing new posted on it since then that I am aware of.

10. kingfish

kingfish Well-Known Member

i believe warner also owns the rights to target zero with richard conte.

11. borisfw

Frank
    Good to know they are working on it . Hopefully we'll see it in the not too distant future .

ahollis likes this.
  12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Well-Known Member

Howie
    I, for one, am getting really tired of Warners discontinuing pressed disks, dumping them at BL and other places, and then bringing them back as overpriced MOD releases. If the pressed versions really sold so poorly so as to dump them as overstock who's going to pay premium prices for a MOD?

I'd rather see titles that have never seen a release before even if they *are* overpriced.

Rod J and Professor Echo like this.
  13. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Big Lots was not authorized to sell them at those $4 prices and we're subsequently sued by Warner for doing so, IIRC.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

ahollis likes this.
  14. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Yes. Those discs were overstock due to less than anticipated sales and Warner contracted with an outside company to have them destroyed. The company violated their contract and sold them to Big Lots and other close out stores.

15. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Well-Known Member

It's a good deal for people who want an OOP title, only to find, after scouring the Web for a title, that even used copies go for exorbitant prices. Just an example: A Song Is Born: the cheapest from any Amazon Marketplace seller is $46, after which they go to $70 and on up. On sale, Archive titles can go as low as $10. By now we all know (or should know) that creating and maintaining an inventory of low-selling pressed discs isn't an economically favorable strategy. So going MOD is a boon for collectors, given the alternative.

Randy Korstick, Robin9 and SeanAx like this.
  16. ahollis

Allen
    BOMBA - JUNGLE BOY VOLUME 2 looks great and the final three titles are anamorphic Widescreen. Another film series completed.

17. FrankXS

FrankXS Well-Known Member

Just saw a pre-order on the Warner Archive page for "William Powell at Warner Brothers". This will be out in mid-September. Four titles all from the early 1930's include: "The Key"....."High Pressure"....."The Road to Singapore"......"Private Detective 62". Price : $39.95.

18. BobO'Link

Howie
    That was for those TVonDVD seasons a few years back. The films have all been "overstock" and have shown up at many such vendors both BM/online.

19. BobO'Link

Howie
    Yes, it is nice if you missed out on the pressed run. But the problem as I see it is those titles should have a *maximum* price of ~$10. After all, the remastering/authoring/licensing (if any) has already been done for the pressed version(s) so there should be no "up front" costs to recoup. I've maintained since the program began that the "sale" prices really should be the *everyday* prices on such titles.

Professor Echo likes this.
  20. ahollis

Allen
    There were both TV series cartoon series and movie box sets. The box sets included Bette Davis, Errol Flynn, musicals Stanly Kubrick, gangsters and many others. I was amazed at the number of cartoon series that were in that bunch. They sued IWMB, Inc for 10 million. They were to destroy 2 million units of which close to 1 million ended up at Big Lots and other close out stores. They wanted these destroyed at the height of the recession when Circuit City was failing and the Brick and Mortar stores were struggling. The huge age of DVD sales was over and these units were sitting around gathering dust and more than likely still be sitting there today. In business good decisions are made and bad ones are made, things change and its hard to blame for decisions made four years ago when models change daily.