What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (2 Viewers)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'm not on Facebook. Would some kind person please ask Warner Archives if they have any plans for the Mamie Van Doren classic GIRLS TOWN (1959)?

George Feltenstein confirmed at Comic Con that the Mamie Van Doren comedy SEX KITTENS GO TO COLLEGE is being remastered (with the nudie footage) for fall release via the Archives, so I'm wondering if they have plans for GIRLS TOWN as well.

Thanks in advance.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
MattPriceTime said:
Is there any real proof of said rumor. The only thing i've ever seen is people posting on fb to them about it and getting no verification. Would love to know where this rumor is coming from..
Me too - they seem to have it I guess - Id like to know where that poster heard the buzz. Id get it if its anamorphic widescreen like the Elite DVD

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I understand that THE WASP WOMEN rumor started at the B-move panel that WAC featured at Comic-Con. There was not an announcement, just a reference to the title that no one refuted. Some where on Facebook WAC referred to it as a twitter misunderstanding.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
From the way that SDCC tweeting went down it appears one of the people with access to the account was kind of tweeting references that didn't exactly make sense. Since it now appears there was at least one at each of the two panels that got people confused.

However this may be a time to point out that it would seem several people have access to WA's twitter, but no matter who it may be posting they always refer to the person on facebook as a singular person.

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Two Warner Archive exclusives soon to hit Movies Unlimited:

georgewashington.png
hornblowsatmidnight.png

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/emailspecial/jackben_promo_face_first.asp

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Speaking of rumors, I read a while ago that NASTY HABITS was slated to be a Warner Archives selection. I immediately added it to my "must buy" list, but haven't heard any more about it. Does anyone out there have an up-date? Although not as good as it could be ... Melina Mercouri's "Henry Kissinger" isn't all that inspired ... it's worth owning just for Sandy Dennis' "John Dean"! One of the all-time great comic turns ...

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
PODER said:
Speaking of rumors, I read a while ago that NASTY HABITS was slated to be a Warner Archives selection. I immediately added it to my "must buy" list, but haven't heard any more about it. Does anyone out there have an up-date? Although not as good as it could be ... Melina Mercouri's "Henry Kissinger" isn't all that inspired ... it's worth owning just for Sandy Dennis' "John Dean"! One of the all-time great comic turns ...
NASTY HABITS is a film that completely fell off the face of the earth after its release and quick death. I remember liking it quite a lot, especially Sandy Dennis. Now, I assume only baby boomers and history majors would get a lot of the references.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Matt Hough said:
I remember loving it at the time. Haven't seen it since its original theatrical release.
. I remember when NASTY HABITS played The Sena Mall Theatre in Metairie, LA as an area exclusive and the first the weekend a group of nuns from New Orleans picketed it. Since I grew up as a Methodist the Catholic theatre owners sent me down to talk to them. It was a trip. Later I will tell my stories wit OH GOD, LAST TEMPTATION OF CRIST, STIGMATA, TEACHING MRS TINGLE and LIFE OF BRIAN. Very interesting interaction with people that had no knowledge of what the speak

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Excellent. Been waiting a long time for Benny's Horn Blows at Midnight. Now I can retire my TCM>Beta>DVD-r version that traces its roots back to 1997! Presumably it'll be remastered, since whenever the question's come up on WAC's Facebook page they said the elements needed a lot of work. I'm not quite as fond of GWSH, since Benny's in his fairly unrelenting cranky mode here. Still, I'll get it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
.I remember when NASTY HABITS played The Sena Mall Theatre in Metairie, LA as an area exclusive and the first the weekend a group of nuns from New Orleans picketed it. Since I grew up as a Methodist the Catholic theatre owners sent me down to talk to them. It was a trip. Later I will tell my stories wit OH GOD, LAST TEMPTATION OF CRIST, STIGMATA, TEACHING MRS TINGLE and LIFE OF BRIAN. Very interesting interaction with people that had no knowledge of what the speak
I crossed picket lines and was called many dirty names (by Christians, no less) in order to see both Life of Brian and The Last Temptation of Christ.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Paul Penna said:
Excellent. Been waiting a long time for Benny's Horn Blows at Midnight. Now I can retire my TCM>Beta>DVD-r version that traces its roots back to 1997! Presumably it'll be remastered, since whenever the question's come up on WAC's Facebook page they said the elements needed a lot of work. I'm not quite as fond of GWSH, since Benny's in his fairly unrelenting cranky mode here. Still, I'll get it.
I wish Universal would let go of more of his Paramount output. Since Fox Archives released the surprisingly high quality transfer of Meanest Man in the World, its really his Paramount output that's largely missing. I'd particularly like to see Buck Benny Rides Again.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Very excited about the release of these two films, but I still have several Benny titles on my wish list;

It's in the Air (1935): Warner Brothers
College Holiday (1936): Universal
The Big Broadcast of 1937 (1936) Universal
Artist and Models Abroad (1938): Universal
Buck Benny Rides Again (1940): Universal
Love Thy Neighbor (1940): Universal

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I would love for the Archive to release LIFE WITH FATHER and SANTA FE TRAIL, both public domain hell titles. The latter is on a fair Blu release, but I think a WA remastering would look better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Professor Echo said:
I would love for the Archive to release LIFE WITH FATHER and SANTA FE TRAIL, both public domain hell titles.The latter is on a fair Blu release, but I think a WA remastering would look better.
Trust me, forget about that BD release as it's not good at all.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Ditto that on LIFE WITH FATHER! A true classic, with four Oscar nominations, including William Powell's third and last one, I've yet to find a watchable version. This has always seemed to me to be very close to the top of the Public Domain hell list ...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
WAC said on Facebook about a year ago that their rights to the play LIFE WITH FATHER elapsed and they are having difficulty getting them renewed. If that happens, then they will consider it. I'm not sure where the PD thought comes in if the story and play is still under copyright.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Thanks for the responses. Frustrating! TCM shows a pretty good copy of LIFE WITH FATHER, but I don't know about their copy of SANTA FE TRAIL as I've never watched it there. Homemade recordings on DVD-R of TCM public domain movies are usually better than any of the released versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks