What's new

Warner Archive Discussion Thread (The Announcements/The Films) (1 Viewer)

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Heaven With a Gun with Glenn Ford shows this on their website: Aspect Ratio: 16 X 9 FULL FRAME|ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1 What's the deal!?!?! They're actually gonna release this chopped up!?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
It's listed titles like that before. Confusing to say the least. I trust them to get it right.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Bob Cashill said:
It's listed titles like that before. Confusing to say the least. I trust them to get it right.
Ok, thanks for the clarification. I was a little shocked with it coming from WB. I'm guessing that you're right.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
WadeM said:
Heaven With a Gun with Glenn Ford shows this on their website: Aspect Ratio: 16 X 9 FULL FRAME|ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 2.40:1 What's the deal!?!?! They're actually gonna release this chopped up!?
I rather suspect this is their confused way of saying it's in the original aspect ratio of 2.40:1 but anamorphic rather than letterboxed. This is often also described as "enhanced for 16:9 TV's" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen#DVD_Video

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Randy Korstick said:
I see a box set of the five 60's widescreen Tarzan's came out this past Tuesday without much Fanfare. The Jock Mahoney and Mike Henry Tarzan films. $49.99 for 5 disc and 5 films not a bad price and there are always sales which is what I'll wait for.
Some last year's boxed sets seem to be getting repackaged into slimmer multi-disc single cases as well (Tarzan & Randolph Scott).

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I received my Falcon set 2 in the mail today . Just took a quick look at the discs and they are reg DVDs not burned , for those of you who are interested in that .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Cole Younger, Gunfighter - fun western with legendary character actor James Best. But you sure can tell that this CinemaScope production was filmed in Color By Deluxe. Very bland and washed out. Sound is good and clear picture, just dull colors.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
ahollis said:
Cole Younger, Gunfighter - fun western with legendary character actor James Best. But you sure can tell that the this CinemaScope production was filmed Color By Deluxe. Very bland and washed out. Sound is good and clear picture, just dull colors.
Frank Lovejoy stars as Cole Younger and portrays the famous outlaw in quite a different and unique way. It was Lovejoy's last Hollywood feature. I did a piece on him on my blog on the date of his centennial, March 28, 2012, and I included a paragraph on this film. Here's the link to that entry: http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/frank-lovejoy-centennial/#more-356

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Vic Pardo said:
Frank Lovejoy stars as Cole Younger and portrays the famous outlaw in quite a different and unique way. It was Lovejoy's last Hollywood feature. I did a piece on him on my blog on the date of his centennial, March 28, 2012, and I included a paragraph on this film. Here's the link to that entry: http://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/frank-lovejoy-centennial/#more-356
Frank Lovejoy was also a hell of a character actor. House Of Wax, In A Lonely Place, The Winning Team, She's Back On Broadway, etc are just a sample. James Best is a friend so I always push any release he appears in.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I watched two of the Falcon titles last night, THE FALCON OUT WEST and THE FALCON IN MEXICO. The transfers were excellent with good blacks and grays. Sound is good and crisp. If the other four titles are this good then it's a winner. I believe this concludes all the RKO Falcon Titles. There are three more made in later years but were from real poverty row companies. It would be fun to have them though. Thank you WAC for this second volume of fun mysteries. .

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Essanay Paul said:
Are the Wheeler & Woolsey's Pressed Manufactured DVDs or DVD-Rs?
I don't think we know yet. I got an email saying they were shipped yesterday so I should have them by Friday and let y'all know. I am really looking forward to this set.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
ahollis said:
I don't think we know yet. I got an email saying they were shipped yesterday so I should have them by Friday and let y'all know. I am really looking forward to this set.
Stupid question that probably has been answered, but how do you tell if a disc is pressed or burned?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
The answer most commonly given is that pressed discs look completely "silvery", while burned disks have a distinct "purplish" tint. I ordered the W&W set today; hoping for pressed discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks