What's new

Warner announces Forbidden Planet for November (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I thought I had heard that Warner was planning an HD DVD version also. Hopefully this will get released at the same time.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Tremendous news indeed! Great job Warner Bros. (And you just know I'm going to have to spring for the version with the Robby the Robot action figure. :))

Regards,

Joe

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This is great news!!! Really happy that they are including The Invisible Boy in the set.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
Unless the Maltese Falcon set is really good, I think this is going to be the DVD of the year.

I have a collection of model robots on top of my computer, and Robbie will look great between Bender and the Cylon.

And then we get The Invisible Boy, too!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

the hd dvd version appears to be missing from the announcement.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Thank you Warner! The $60 set will be mine! Mwahahahaha!!!

Hopefully the 5.1 track isn't overdone...was rather hoping for a 4.0 mix from the 4 track magnetic masters, but I'm just thrilled to finally be able to replace the old, MAR gritty transfer DVD-10 of this classic film (hoping for a 2.55:1 OAR this time). The Robbie features, classy collector's tin, and action figure are icing on the cake!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Joe Caps will swing in on rope, but I'm pretty sure that this film didn't have a magnetic 4-track mix, only a 2-channel stereo mix. This has been a much-discussed topic over the years, but research seems to show that it wasn't 4-track. Personally, I am greatly looking forward to hearing the 5.1 remix - as long as new sound effects haven't been added, which doesn't seem to be a Warner practice.

I'm hoping for an edge-to-edge 2.55:1 transfer, too, Jim. The previous DVD was about 2.30:1 and mein Gott, the colour, detail and contrast were all terrible, also. I wonder if it was a Lowry job?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
MGM generally varied between 3 and 4 track mag (depending on if they used the surround). Most of their CinemaScope films were 4-track. They were also issued 1-track magnetic (for those who hadn't been wired for stereo) and Perspecta (which was encoded in the optical) for those either not wanting to set up for mag or as a back up should the mag go out on mag/op prints.

FORBIDDEN PLANET falls into the category of all three.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Hmm, I thought for sure it was a 4 track master. No big deal, like I said, as long as the 5.1 mix is done well (knowing Warner, it will be).

This is a must-grab for me. I can't wait!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now up at DVD Times:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of Forbidden Planet 50th Anniversary Edition for 14th November 2006. Considered by many the most influential science fiction film ever made until the Star Wars era, Warner are releasing Forbidden Planet in both 50th Anniversary 2-Disc Special Edition and Ultimate Collectors Edition versions. The film, in a new widescreen version, has been digitally transferred from fully restored new film and audio elements. The remarkable electronic soundtrack has been remastered in Dolby Digital 5.1.(R) The 2 Disc Special Edition will be available at $26.99 SRP; the Ultimate Collector's Edition for $59.92 SRP.

A pioneering work whose ideas and style influenced countless cinematic space voyages that followed -- Star Wars, Star Trek, Lost in Space, 2001: A Space Odyssey, among others -- Forbidden Planet is based on Shakespeare's The Tempest and stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen, Warren Stevens, Earl Holliman and Richard Anderson. It also marks the motion picture debut of Robby the Robot. Fred McLeod Wilcox directed the Cyril Hume screenplay.

More than four hours of special features in the 2-Disc Special Edition include commentary, additional scenes, two follow-up vehicles starring Robby the Robot plus three documentaries. Also of special note is the lost footage, which features preliminary takes of various special effects including the space ship and interior and exteriors. Very few people knew of the existence of footage, which, since the '50s, had bounced around to various stock houses and vaults, simply marked as "The Saucer Footage." Star Wars special effects artist Dennis Muran, who had learned of the footage in the '70s, brought it to the attention of WHV which finally tracked it down in New York City.

The Ultimate Collectors Edition keepsake case includes the 2-Disc Special Edition as well as a collectible Robby the Robot replica with moveable limbs, Forbidden Planet and The Invisible Boy reproduction lobby cards portfolio, as well as a Forbidden Planet original theatrical poster mail-in offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks