What's new

War of the Worlds SCE (George Pal) (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I'm really disappointed in the choice of cover art for this DVD release.

I think a far more effective cover would have been an adaptation of the original Style-A theatrical poster:

Which was adapted from the original 81"x81" poster:

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Peter beat me to it but IMO the tripods have an alien quality to them that is truly disturbing.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
That would be an AWESOME cover.

IDEA

what about DVDs that have a *switchable* cover? It could be located in the insert and the consumer could just slide it in to replace the old? Or have multiple covers one can download in PDF and print on a color printer and trim to slip into the case liner. Thoughts???

-dave

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
There have been covers like that. I don't remember what they were, but I remember seeing them on a horror DVD site.

Edit: Black Christmas was one such title.

GregK

Screenwriter
PeterTHX,

The titles you listed are great examples of how a second 2.0 mix can be a worthy asset. Fox sometimes include an original mono mix along with the original stereo mag mix, as the mono mix can have different music cues, efx, etc.

But to keep my original point clear, Paramount opted not to include the original mono mixes for the 1960's STAR-TREK series, yet in the case WAR OF THE WORLDS, opted not to include the stereo re-mix that was previously available (along with the original mono track) on LD.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

True, true.
I have the stereo LD as well, the sound mix was definately a pleasant surprise. Much better than the stereo remix Chace had done for the 35th Anniversary The Ten Commandments LD. I miss it, however the picture is much, much better on the DVD ...and you have to admit, it IS the original soundmix.

Perhaps they couldn't secure the mix since it was Pioneer who did it.

One possibility: it will be on the new DVD and hasn't been announced yet. Titanic will have a DTS track and the sound has been remixed for Surround EX 6.1, something not noted in the original product announcement.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
The new cover on the R2 edition is a slipcase over the old packaging AFAIK. I got my copy a while back as a two-disc set with When Worlds Collide.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I as well own the CAV WOTW LD. I'd pay almost any amount to get a stereo remix via uncompressed PCM audio on the DVD.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Great news if that's the case!

I'm really looking forward to getting this. And the Forbidden Planet Collector's Edition whenever that comes out. Two oldies that still hold up fairly well today.

SteveJKo

Second Unit

Actually these same ships that we see in the film originally had three "legs of energy" that were produced with sparks. It's said that they looked spectacular, but it was such a major fire hazzard to be shooting sparks around that they went with the beams of light instead.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wow, look at some of those special features! I'm getting this without a doubt.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wait...it includes the original 1938 Mercury Theater WOTW broadcast?

.....hmmm...this better not be some sort of lame joke.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I would have bought it just for the extras, but with stereo surround too? Can't wait. Hope the picture quality beats all previous versions.

"Hellooo? Can't we all just get along? ...aaaaarggh!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks