What's new

wanting to build bookshelves/center channel (1 Viewer)

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
I had a thread going a while ago about building towers, and it was suggested that I look at these- Modula MTM-1 Design To keep things simple, and have a set guide in building the setup, I think i'll go with that.

Me still being a rookie with home theater, I need someone to hold my hand as I have questions about this and that.

I've read through the how-to a few times, but still have questions.

-Further down the page, there's a list of crossover parts, then even further another list, i'm assuming the lower one is an "updated" version, correct?

-I'm assuming each list of the crossover parts will build one crossover, and each enclosure, or speaker as they're called in home theater, will need it's own crossover? So, if I were to build one to use as the front left channel, one for the front right channel, and build another as a center channel, I would need to build a total of 3 of the designed crossovers?

-For the frequency response graphs, to keep that the same and the speakers perfectly compatable with the crossovers, i'd need to port the enclosure, or would it be possible to leave it sealed? I enjoy building my own enclosures, so I wont be buying them from partsexpress, even though they look very nice for the price.

-I'm using a yamaha htr-5280 for my receiver. Would I be ok using that to drive all channels or would I be better investing in an external amplifier? i've seen how expensive those little suckers are, and i'm on kind of a tight budget, especially looking at how much those crossovers are going to cost

Thanks for any help

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You should have a receiver/amp that can drive a 4 ohm load (judging by the impedance profile that Jon provided on that write-up).

If you don't want to upgrade your receiver, then don't play too loudly, otherwise you might see the receiver running out of juice (current) to drive the speakers to the loudness you want.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
i believe the reciever is capable of 4 ohms, only 100 watts per channel though

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
They are absolutely a 4 ohm system, 100 watts will be fine.

The various versions simply use different tweeters.

You shouldn't build a horizontal one for a center channel. The crossover isn't design for that use. That's why there's a Modual center channel listed in the other stickys.

If you find the Modual MTM crossover is too pricey then build the Natalie P. It uses the same drivers but has a less complicated and less expensive crossover.

Yes you can build them sealed if you intend to use a sub. If you don't have a sub then make them ported

You might want to join HT-Guide for your tech support. There are numerous people there that have built these designs.

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator
fully intend on running a subwoofer, 15" titanic

and about the crossovers, the one furthest down on the page is the "final" verison, and one is needed for each enclosure?

also wondering where i can get the ScanSpeak D2904/6000-01 tweeter, as well as the SEAS 27TDFC

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
You can get the tweeters from Madisound.com

(note that all the schematics have a release date, one uses the most recent one)

Below is the final crossover for the Seas tweeter. And yes one of these is required for each box built.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks