What's new

Want more Night Court season sets? Then you'd better purchase the "TV Favorites"! (2 Viewers)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
If the studios want to gauge interest, they should sell conditional pre-orders of season sets. If they don't get enough to make it worthwhile, they refund your money. If they do, they release the season set. Frankly, I think best-of sales are going to be a damned poor indicator. Lots of us who'd buy season sets won't touch a best-of with a ten foot pole, and some who buy a best-of wouldn't buy season sets. For example, I'm mildly (very mildly) nostalgic for shows like That Girl and The Flying Nun, but I'd never buy season sets of them. I might pick up a cheap best-of, but that doesn't mean I'd buy those season sets.

I got burned before on the "buy this, and they'll release that", and I've got too many dvds to buy that I want, to waste money on something I don't want, just because of wishful thinking that by some miracle it'll lead to something I do want.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Dan*T, I will indeed try to have Warner read this thread. Good point. Pavan, could you please mention the same to your contacts?

Pavan, you were wrong about that, your contact was wrong, and I was wrong in that I relayed the info and it turned out to be incorrect.

The first episode will be included in the release. And the rest are not centered around just Markie; but center around other characters as well. I'll have more info later this morning, so look out for a news post. Others may beat me to it, but I have to run and get to my full-time job.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Add me, my brother, parents, and many friends to the list of those that would buy more season sets of Night Court, as well as season sets Perfect Strangers, Welcome Back Kotter, Maverick, Alice, Chico & the Man, and Head of the Class among others but wouldn't dare purchase one of these so called best of things as I would be sorely disappointed.

Pavan_P

Second Unit

I guess WHV didn't want to go with the suggestions Tim (who ran the Alice episode selections and is also doing Perfect Strangers for them). After that, it is up to WHV to finalize the episodes. Tim clearly picked episodes that centered around Markie Post to try to boost sales. So, I don't know what WHV will be doing now, I guess they didn't like that idea.
I'm glad WHV finalized episodes that fans chose for Alice, though. And the Perfect Strangers selection has been impressive. A good turn out and there seems to be a lot of devoted fans as there have been a lot of broad episodes chosen! They are impressed!

Pavan_P

Second Unit
OK, so I just got the episodes they selected.
The six that will be on the Night Court set are:
* All You Need is Love – Season 1 (aired January 4, 1984)
* Her Honor, Part 1 – Season 4 (aired April 29, 1987)
* Her Honor, Part 2 – Season 4 (aired May 6, 1987)
* Death of a Bailiff – Season 5 (aired October 15, 1987)
* Who Was that Mashed Man? – Season 5 (aired November 19, 1987)
* Fire – Season 6 (aired November 2, 1988)

And these are the top 10 episodes that were recommended to WHV for this set:
"My Three Dads"
"A Guy Named Phantom"
"Giving Thanks"
"Heart of Stone"
"Hurricane"
"Who Was That Mashed Man?"
"Fire"
"Death of a Bailiff"
"Her Honor"
"Where There's a Will, There's a Tony"

So, they did choose from this list but included the pilot for some reason. Just wanted to clarify that. Choosing the pilot is quite odd, because they passed on the pilot for Alice.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Add me to the list of Season 1 owners who would instantly bite on any further full-season releases, and who will (VERY begrudgingly!) buy the "best of" simply to show my interest in the show itself.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I'll buy the best of if it will help future releases. Heck people buy it and give it to people for gifts maybe it would get them interested in the series enough to go out and buy Season 1 ;)

John*D

Second Unit

Yay!!! SPEND $7.99 + tax to DOUBLE DIP on episode(s) you already have after purchasing season one. Yay!!!

:thumbsdown: There's gotta be a better way.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The obvious problem is that Markie Post didn't appear as Christine until the third season. (She had been the first choice to play the public defender, but she was still on The Fall Guy, so in the meantime the slot was filled by Paula Kelly in the first season and Ellen Foley in the second.) This is probably the main reason why the 1st season release didn't do as well as expected, kind of like what happened with Happy Days- that show didn't really come unto its own until its third season, when the character of Fonzie moved into the garage apartment at the Cunninghams and the show's filming went from single-camera to the standard 3-camera shoot with a live audience.

I am definitely buying this "TV Favorites" collection- of course Warner realizes that the show's diehard fans want the classic Night Court, and that's with Markie Post.

Of course, they could've easily started season sets by skipping the first two years and going straight for Season Three for maximum sales impact. It's been done before: MPI started releasing Dark Shadows on VHS and now DVD with the arrival of the pivotal character of Barnabas Collins, an event which occurred ten months into the show's run. The pre-Barnabas shows were eventually put out on VHS and will soon be released on DVD in 2006.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

IMO, all of Night Court is classic. It doesn't circle around who played the defense attorney, but around Judge Harry Stone. Also, my wife never really liked Christine. She was more of a fan of Billie.

I'm not buying because I think it is a waste. Just give us the darn season sets and stop jerking us around.

Jason

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
They should have included "Christine's Friend." Now THAT might have "boosted" sales.

I would probably buy the TV Favorites only as gifts.

Here's my vote for SEASON SETS.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I've said this stuff on the Drew Carey thread, but I'll say it again. The bottom line is, I don't want the studios telling me what to buy. I'LL tell THEM what I want to buy. When they get around to releasing proper season sets, I'll BUY them. When they fiddle around with "best-ofs" trying to test the market, then I WON'T buy them. That's all. Because I don't WANT a "best=of." It's a waste of money to me, when all I really want is a season set. If they're so stubborn as not to see how stupid this kind of "test" marketing really is, then TOO BAD for all of us. I won't buy the stupid best of, we'll never get a season set, and everyone ends up unhappy. I repeat: TOO_BAD.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
It is too bad. I love season sets and have avoided any and all "Best Of" discs that have been released for any tv show. As another poster said, there has to be a better way.

Anthony W

Auditioning
Right on, Ethan!

As far as I'm concerned, i did my part for the Night Court dvds... i got the 1st season. i'm not going to pay more money to show my support of future releases... i did that already, for what i want... future season set releases.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another :thumbsdown: to "best of" sets, consequences be damned. If they want my money, more season sets are the way to go. Otherwise, I'll gladly spend it on something else.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Well Dave, Pavan, we definetly have alot of devoted fans out there who will pay for the Season sets. As long as someone over at WHV makes note of this, we may have a strong case!! If anything doesn't the nine seasons that it was on for stand for something?

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator
I can't for the life of me figure out why the first season didn't sell. Night Court is and was very popular. Yet they release it for only $30 MSRP with uncut episodes, some special features, a bonus disc, & it is part of the mail in rebate program. There must have been something wrong with the way it was promoted.

I don't watch TV Land, but are there commercials advertising it? Maybe they should release season 2 with more promotion and promote season 1 in the same ad. I think that if people see S1 and S2 on the shelf, they will be more likely to buy at least one of them. Maybe offer a mail in rebate if you buy both.

I just can't believe that Night Court won't sell in season sets. Maybe Warner's standards are too high. Maybe it sold enough that would Shout Factory, Image, or Anchor Bay thrilled to get their hands on it.

I don't know if I will buy the best of or not. I was considering it, but with a repeat of the Piolet and only 2 parts of a 4 parter, I may not.

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have a friend who loves night court and didn't buy the first season because the whole cast that is generally considered to be the heart of night court wasn't yet assembled. It's kind of like Seinfeld, the first couple seasons have a different feel to them than seasons three and up where the show really took off. Night court was kind of the same and I think many people feel that way and held off buying season 1 because of it.

I bought season 1 the day it came out and loved the episodes. I am definitely in for future season sets! I love this show!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks