What's new

Want Good Turntable w/Easy Speed Switching (1 Viewer)

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

Clearly, you're not able to list any of these imaginary products, just as it's obvious that your orientation in the world of analog severely lacks any degree of precision. You don't have to respond to any of my question, as it's self-evident that you truly don't know what you're talking about. I really don't mean to sound rude; I simply don't know of any way to phrase that more politely.

Ya know, this conversation is a bit of a flashback for me. Years ago, before web-based forums such as this one came into being, Usenet served as the primary discussion platform. Rec.audio.opinion - my one time home base - saw a multitude of discussions revolving around various objectivist vs. subjectivist viewpoints. I think we all had a good time, as many of the threads took part on a higher plane of understanding than what's normally seen these days. But I digress. One thing that rarely entered the conversations was the subject of turntables other than on a purely theoretical level, as it was brutally obvious to all (well, almost all) that specific operational constrains need to be experienced first-hand.

Best,
Felix

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Just because someone doesn't cite a specific example for their assertion means little.

Because one needs to consider the other possible reason: maybe that someone cares little about getting into a boring, drawn-out, tit-for-tat discussion over audio voodoo concepts.

BTW: Chu Gai is one of the most intelligent and knowledgable (those two things do not always come together in the same person either) members on the HTF. So IMO he doesn't need to justify every tiny nit-picking thing he mentions.

While some audiophile TTs do have outstanding build quality, a perceptive person should be asking himself just HOW MUCH quality is needed for audibly excellent music reproduction. I.e. does one really need a pail and shovel made of titanium to build a nice sand castle?

If someone can afford a $5K turntable, more power to them. But if stating as a fact that same table was capable of 10X better reproduction than the SL-1200 can achieve IMO would be total b.s.

Lastly, anyone who sells audiophile turntables certainly has their own "agenda" to take care of, in turn very probably tainting any opinion they express.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Gee Felix, I guess I never listened to your setup. I'm sure it's quite musical. Perhaps you can give a list of what the current definition of high end in the price range of 500-1200 is. Buying a turntable without a suspension is akin to buying an automobile without shocks and springs. All IMHO of course.

If water can erode rocks to form the Grand Canyon, I think that vibrations and movement of a diamond or saphire stylus can have a bit of an effect on vinyl, especially vinyl that's been played for 80 years with those sophisticated tonearms of days gone by, no?

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

Normally I'd ask for the basis of such an opinion, but I think we've already been there. Regardless, there are times when a having a non-suspended turntable is an advantage. For example, when addressing the common problem of a 'table's sensitivity to footfalls on sprung floors, one can easily witness suspended TT's bouncing their respective tonearms like basketballs, while solid plinth 'tables remain seemingly unaffected. There simply isn't a sure-fire recipe for making a great turntable, at least not when taking costs into account. Something always has to give and varying design choices are made in the process. It's up to the individual to pick what's best for him and, with analog especially, that decision has to include a consideration of one's environment. FWIW, I prefer a suspended 'table, too, but that doesn't make solid-plinth 'tables universally flawed.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of things wrong with the LP, both technically and sonically. At the same time, LP's can offer a highly involving listening experience that's truly enhanced by being able to read as much information as possible that's buried in the grooves. Good analog is not cheap, either; it's an unfortunate part of life.

Felix

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
To set aside the pissing match for a while and get back to the original question:

Good solid engineering, practically no frills, for < $750 shipped to your door. IMO, one of the best deals out there today. And you can add an OEM equivalent of a Rega RB250 for a steal if you purchase it with the TT. This is pretty new, so reviews are just starting to show up on Audio Asylum. I don't own this nor have I heard it, but it is almost certainly going to be my next turntable.

Hope that is of some help to you.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
No one leaves my home thinking that CD's sounds better than vinyl (at least not the CD's I own vs the vinyl I own). Most people think that there's nothing complicated about playing a vinyl record on a TT and that their $100.00 or so TT that came with their rack system is adequate. After all, the record in one form or another, been around for over a hundred years and surely every manufacturers of TT must know how to do it right by now. To be fair, there's actually more TT manufacturers that do know how to do it right than those that don't have a clue. TT's by SOTA, VIP, SME, Oracle, Basis, Linn, Clear Audio, Mitchell and many other "High End" companies knows how to get it right. Consumer TT's by Pioneer, Sony, Technics, JVC and any make of TT that comes with a rack system are companies that don't know. Unfortunately, the combined total sales of TT's by all the companies that knows how to do it right don't equal the sales of any one of the companies that don't have a clue. Most people that are or were listening to vinyl, play them on TT's that were probably extracting less that half the information etched in the grooves. It's no wonder that most people thinks that CD's sounds "better" than vinyl. So much information is loss with most TT's that most people think there's more info on CD's. It is not until one hears a vinyl record played on a "High End" TT that one realizes how much info there is in vinyl. The difference is not subtle nor subjective when comparing a consumer grade TT to a "High End" TT. You don't have to resort to DBT. Now you may still like the sound of a CD over vinyl on a "High End" TT but it may be for different reasons than you first thought. The most common reasons I hear for still preferring CD over vinyl (after they hear vinyl on my system) are convenience and lack of funds for a "High End" system.

Just for kicks I sometimes play a 1905, 78rpm, shellac record of Enrico Caruso singing "O'Sole Mio" on a 1920 RCA table top crank up record player. It may not sound "High End" but there's something special about hearing pure analog from cutting to playing. The sound coming out of that voice box sounds more real that any CD or vinyl playing through electronic amplification. The voice resonant just as though it's emanating from a set of human lungs. It's hard to describe, but your brain knows something is right when you hear it. Even through all the hiss, snaps, crackles and pops.

Playing my vinyl on a Micro Seiki RX1500vg, Well Tempered Arm, Monster Genesis MC cartridge into a Vendetta SPC2 phono stage. :)

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

You've just pointed to one of the main reasons as to why quite a few of us left Audio Asylum's vinyl board a few years ago, even though most us were there from the beginning. Not only is it terribly silly to recommend a product you've never heard, but basing that recommendation on construction details, etc only underscores the fact that one's level of auditory experience with analog gear hinges almost solely on wishful thinking. I remember you from AA, Saurav. You may remember me, too. I posted as Fear3000.

Felix

Saurav

Senior HTF Member

It wasn't so much a recommendation as a suggestion for something he could investigate. I didn't see too many other suggestions offered in this thread :)

And sure, my level of experience with any kind of gear is vastly inferior to yours. But, I'm happy where I am, and I trust you're happy where you are too. I'm interested in this turntable because a few people whose ears I trust have praised it, and it appears to be good value for money. That's good enough for me, obviously others will have different requirements. It's a kit product that's shipped from Hong Kong, the chances of me being able to audition it in a meaningful manner prior to buying it are slim. I'm willing to take the chances with my money.

And yes, I do remember you. Your posts were always a lot of fun to read. How've you been? It's been a while since you left AA, and I don't hang out much there any more either. I didn't know you'd joined this board. FWIW, I don't hang out much here any more either, except for the video game forum.

Anyway... nice running into you again. The internet is a small world :)

Felix_F

Stunt Coordinator

Hi, Saurav. After a bunch of us left AA, we formed another board, www.audioannex.com. Unlike HTF or AA, AAx is not an informational forum; it's more of an audio-driven conversational board geared to having fun with the hobby rather than answering questions or suggesting purchasing option. I'm actually pretty new to HT. I've had an small HT for about 10 years, but never took it very seriously. Then, just about 6 months ago, I heard a demo that blew me away. So, here I am, mostly reading and trying to get a better handle on things. I like this board. There's enough of a difference of opinion to keep things interesting and I appreciate the even pace of the discussions.

Best,
Felix

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's good to see you again. I know exactly what you mean about having fun conversations vs. the usual stuff you see on most forums. This is definitely a good board for learning about HT stuff.

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Just wanted to throw out some more suggestions for the original poster....

I love my vinyl as well and spin a "non-suspended" platter, the Rega P25.

But, with the Regas, you have to lift the platter. There are a couple of Thorens decks in your price range with speed control, and they sound great.

The VPI Scout I think was mentioned earlier, another excellent choice.

If you do have a working knowledge of turntable setup and calibration, you can't go wrong with an LP12. Even if you aren't skilled at TT set-up, a Linn expert in your area could get you set up to spin, with few necessary adjustments in the future.

It's funny reading all of the responses on this thread and its been a while since I've posted. There seems to be some SERIOUS misconceptions on the art of vinyl, but I am not going to join the war....If you have vinyl, get a rig and start spinnin'!!!! Whether it's a Tech 1200 or a Walker Proscenium(sp?)....Vinyl is truly the way to critically listen to music...IMHO:)

Jeremy

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
James I may be a bit late to this party but maybe I can provide some useful information.

Do you know about the speedbox that Project makes? You can get one for $99 and add it to your current rig I think. Check out needledoctor.

Users who are viewing this thread