What's new

Wanna keep a newbie from buying Bose? (1 Viewer)

Marissa,

I have been in the A/V business for the past 15 years and most of the best speakers are ones you will never have heard of. There is more difference in speakers than in any other area of sound reproduction.

Some Ideas for speakers are;

Energy
Paradigm
B & W
Polk
Definitive Technologies
Boston Accoustics
NHT

There are lots of others;
some more esoteric choices
Magnepan, online special to get you started
Vandersteen

Try to come up with a budget, and then stretch it further, then decide if you want it to be Audio Centric or Video Centric.

Audio Centric;
AV Amp 25%
Speakers 30%
Sources 10%
TV 25%
Cables 10%

Video Centric
TV 40%
sources 15%
AV AMP 15%
Speakers 20%
cables 10%

I favor the Audio Centric route as I feel that the Audio does more for the experience than the video. I realize that some will think I am wrong, but it is right for me. These figures are just a starting point. Remember that TV prices tend to fall faster than audio stuff.

Go out and listen to as many systems as you can, always take your own music.

If you find a good dealer and spend a lot of time with them and learn what you want from them, give them the chance to earn your money, I am not in favor of using their location, staff, knowledge, etc. to figure what I want and then expect them to match prices with someone who doesn't have ANYTHING invested. What would the prices be for that Internet place be if he/She had provided the service and support that the local dealer gave you? A good local dealer is great to have and the service IS worth something. What if the local dealer had the same prices as the internet but then charged you for their time to educate you and let you listen before you bought.

Good Luck in your search

Roger Young

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks