What's new

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave Six - 12/19/2006 (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I bet that UltimateDisney.com will have their reviews up 3-4 days prior to release. That seems to be their current pace with all of the new releases hitting.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Traditionally, I review all animated WDTs - I've checked out some of the live-action ones too, but I really only care about the animated sets. I'll review these when they arrive, which probably won't be until the middle of next week...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
ah, I never saw your reviews. but that is the typical approach, the animated are reviewed and the live action ignored. Can't say the live action in my collection have gotten much spin time in the player though. :p

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, I've checked out a few live actions - the Disneyland set, Davy Crockett, and a couple of others. Just not that interested in them, though...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
The only live-action one worth having for animation fans is the Behind the Scenes, containing The Reluctant Dragon. Also Tomorrowland.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It'll be at my site, so just check in there. I don't like to "advertise" here when they do their own reviews - it's frowned upon, especially pre-street...

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the Treasures could you check how the restoration seems, if it includes most/all of the shorts, and perhaps post some screenshots?

I would be nice to know as quickly as possible because of this year's lower print run, as I don't want to buy them until I know for sure they're not like last year's wave.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

:eek:

These have always been limited so I don't know if it's affected sales or not but they have really screwed these up as far as the packaging.

Nevertheless, I have SS2 and You Host... on my Christmas list. The first SS is my absolute favorite. Thanks for the report. :)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Sadly, the 10th Anniversary Special on YOUR HOST, WALT DISNEY is the same, heavily-edited, version that appeared on DISNEYLAND, USA. Too bad.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the justification is for repeating this segment? It seems to me that with so much Treasures material that still hasn't seen the light of day, repeating content from earlier waves comes across as a bit of a ripoff. I know there is a precedent for this with some of the war cartoons, but considering that there is literally years of Disney hosted TV programs to choose from, this seems like an unnecessary repeat.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
That must be incredibly difficult for Mr. Maltin. Here he is told one thing, he signs his name as an assurance of this quality, and they turn around and do not include the version he was told would be included. This has now happened to this man two years in a row. You'd think someone would at least have the decency to tell the man BEFORE the discs street that they didn't hold up their end of the deal.

One wonders how much longer Mr. Maltin will participate on these releases if the people who make the decisions for content on the DVDs continue to make him look foolish by promising him one thing and then doing another.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
By the way, for those curious about what was edited from the Tiki Room segment on Your Host, Walt Disney, I put the following together back when the Disneyland USA set arrived. I have not adjusted the tracking numbers to match up with the rerelease, but you'll get the idea...

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Just speculation... Could the "Legacy Collection" be setting up a non-Maltin future for these types of releases?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
tough to not get these for me.

i have all the others.
and with google agt buy.com can get them for about
$16 each.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wouldn't get too attached to the Treasures line. With this year's release being limited to 65,000 it seems that the home video division may be having second thoughts. The good news is that the True-Life Adventures discs are really nice, so perhaps material that would normally have come through in the Treasures series may come out anyway. I'd hate to lose the Maltin stuff, though, as he truly loves the output of the studio.

Hopefully the line will continue at least long enough to finish out the Donald shorts. They remain the last of the classic shorts to be unreleased. Considering the niche status of most of the material released on the Treasures, I feel lucky that it has lasted as long as it has.

Still, let's hope that folks with true interest in the history of the studio continue to allow such material to be released.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
If and when they come out (I'm hoping a year from now), please tell me the CinemaScope Donald cartoons will be letterboxed.

If I ran Disney, with my love of chronological order, I'd have released sets of all the cartoons in order, all the short subjects and all the TV series. People seem to really like season sets, and that would be the equivalent. What would have been wrong with that? Too sensible?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think they may release the remaining Donalds in bulk (two volumes) next years and that'll be that. Next year the Legacy collections will feature the Oswald shorts and Destino, so it too will feature annimated content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks