What's new

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 8 - 11/11 (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I've gone back and checked out both Donald 2 (old transfers) and Donald 3 (new) and while 4 still strikes me as vast improvement over 2, most of the non-Cinemascope titles aren't quite up to the quality of Donald 3. In a nutshell, with Donald 2, as well as the rarities, quality issues are serious enough to be a constant irritant while I'm watching. Not so at all with Donald 4, except "Working for Peanuts," as previously mentioned.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
the transfers are all beautiful (agreed "Working for Peanuts" is a minor exception) but nothing like wave 6 with the ultimately disappointing Rarities collection (most anticipated to date and what a shocking let-down!) and DDV2... I really wish Disney would've reissued those, as unrealistic as it is. They featured some of the most colorful and unique, graphically stunning and visually artful cartoons and sourced decade old video transfers that looked like worn out shit! This newest collection on the other hand, looks great I think and I see no reason for concern...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just hope it is only that one short that is cut. The full version is out there so it must have been an oversight.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The weird thing about Working for Peanuts not looking as good as most of the other 50s shorts is that Disney went through a pretty thorough process of cleaning it up for presentation in digital 3-D, the results of which were on display when it played before the digital 3-D theatrical showings of Meet the Robinsons in Spring of 2007.

Due to how perfect that presentation looked, I was convinced that if nothing else, that was the one short that would have no presentation issues on this release. Sometimes I think that Disney's right hand does not know what their left hand is doing.

Regards,

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S

Yes, my guess is that the new downconverted 'flat' digibeta master of working for peanuts was not stored with the other shorts, and when the dvd guys paged up all the tapes of these shorts, they got the older tape of Working for Peanuts rather than the newer one.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Leonard Maltin had this to say on his website:

"I’m not yet sure what will be included in next year’s batch of Treasures but I have been assured that the series will continue, which is little short of a miracle given the fact that I was told it was all over several years ago. I’m eternally grateful to Dick Cook, President of The Walt Disney Company, for giving me the green light when I approached him with this idea nine years ago. It has truly been a labor of love."

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Now that the era of worrying about racism is over, and racism clearly doesn't hold that much of a threat to African-Americans any more, 2009's Treasures should, at long last, include "Song of the South."

If anything, the time is perfect for it, because it shows a black man who is the victim of older peoples' prejudices but whom all the children love. It's an anti-racist movie, not racist! And you don't need Whoopi Goldberg to explain that to you.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^I don't know what thread it's in but Ron Epstein said that Song Of The South was brought up at the HTF meet this year and the Disney reps couldn't change the topic fast enough so I wouldn't hold my breath for a release.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I cannot think of any other response that would not send this thread off course on the road to closeville, so I will just respond with a general: Huh?

Regards,

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Maybe you didn't hear about it, but the U.S. elected an African-American as president a couple of weeks ago, so seriously, I doubt "Song of the South" will be much of a threat at this time.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Picked up Annette and Donald 4 from a DVDPlanet store. They didn't have any of Dr. Syn. They were told some story about they were only allowed one shipment of Dr. Syn.

Ended up buying it at Frys...in the drama section!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I heard about that. The part about the era of worrying about racism being over and racism clearly not holding that much of a threat to African-Americans was the part that I had not heard about.

Regards,

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
This is veering wildly off topic, obviously, but just because you haven't heard about something doesn't mean it isn't happening. Even Al Sharpton has discussed this. Making the case that the US is a racist country will be quite difficult now, with an African-American president.

Thus, my conclusion that something as mild as "Song of the South" can hold no threat in 21st Century America.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Previously you were talking about the era of racism being over/racism not being much of a threat to African Americans anymore. Now you are talking about whether or not the USA is a racist country (however that is quantified). Those are two different politically charged topics, neither of which were needed to make your main point which was that Song of the South is not an inherently racist film. I happen to agree with the latter point, and will not be discussing the former points on this forum or in this thread.

Regards,

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I've never seen Dr. syn on the shelves, I had to order it off Amazon.com the Canadian version wasn't showing it in stock either.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I'm wondering if Disney underestimated the demand for Dr. Syn. When I went to Best Buy last Tuesday afternoon, they had already sold out all three copies that they had gotten. I was able to get a rain check and took advantage of their 2 for $40 deal that way. But TBH I do not expect BB to get any more copies, so I went ahead and ordered it from Barnes & Noble instead... and got it cheaper that BB was selling it. :D

So if that raincheck does come in, I might be able to help a fellow out. At least, it may be a good investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks