What's new

Walt Disney Treasures: Wave 8 - 11/11 (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I sure would enjoy seeing the 19 episode Annette series that was aired as part of the last year of The Mickey Mouse Club and if they have more room, let’s add The Monkey’s Uncle or the 2 part Escape In Florence from Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color.

Since Golden Horseshoe Review and other Disneyland specials are on DVD as is The Misadventures of Merlin Jones, that would really leave the 2 part Horsemasters from WDWWofC.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I was thinking of "Escape to Florence" too. Geez--how long's it been since I saw that?? I am pushing for MMC clips though. No Annette compilation is complete without her earliest work!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Is it possible that the four hour-long episodes of Zorro were originally filmed in color and broadcast in black and white, as was Swamp Fox and other Disney live action shows done around the same time??

Or, if the four were done originally in black and white, did Disney colorize them in 1995 along with the 78 regular episodes? I think the hour Zorros were shown in the dead of night on the Disney Channel some years back. Anybody remember if they were in B&W, color, or colorized?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Not likely that they'll include The Monkey's Uncle. It was just released as a Disney Movie Club exclusive a couple of weeks ago.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Only the duck for me as well! It's only the animated shorts which I have been interested in getting and this set just about completes all of them. I never thought the day would come when I would have (and be able to afford) my own copy of all the Disney animated shorts - I remember how much just one film used to cost on 8mm!

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Are there changes in Wave 8 out on Nov 11. I am repeating this from GAC.

I looked at the Amazon items in my "shopping cart" and didn't see the 4th Donald Duck Treasure. Instead I found in its place " Mickey Mouse Club Presents: 1957-1958 Season" which I never ordered ???

I finally did a search on Amazon and got "Chronological Donald, Vol. Four 1951-1961 Starring: Mickey Mouse Club". What is currently planned for the 4th Donald now? What is with this "Mickey Mouse Club"?????

EDIT:
Chronological Donald, Vol. Four 1951-1961 Starring: Mickey Mouse Club
Amazon.com: Chronological Donald, Vol. Four 1951-1961: Mickey Mouse Club: Movies & TV

Mickey Mouse Club Presents: 1957-1958 Season
Amazon.com: Mickey Mouse Club Presents: 1957-1958 Season: Disney Treasures: Movies & TV
These both look like treasureas coming out in Nov 11.?????????????

Someone please explain.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Amazon listings, especially before things are released, are often full of errors.

I have no idea why they're putting "Starring: Mickey Mouse Club" as part of the "Chronological Donald" title ....

But the "Mickey Mouse Club Presents: 1957-58 Season" refers to the serial "Annette" (which ran that season), which was recently announced as a replacement for the previously announced "Destino."

Here's all the info:

Walt Disney Treasures - UltimateDisney.com

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Picked up Donald v.4 last night and I'm afraid that Disney took the cheap route again. They used old laserdisc transfers here like they did for Donald v.2and Rarities. These are cleaned up better than the last time they did this, but make no mistake, there are old transfers from the pre-DVD era.

Way to finish strong, Disney!

-R

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
These look nothing at all like the transfers on the Rarities set. The only mediocre title is "Working for Peanuts," which is overblown. Otherwise the transfers look excellent, sharp and with good shadow detail rather than the muddy mess typical of the old laserdisc transfers. Plus all 6 of the Cinemascope titles are anamorphic.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
So, with this latest release, which Disney animated theatrical shorts haven't been released in the Treasures series? And, are they available elsewhere?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yup - they could've reused the non-anamorphic "Grand Canyonscope" found on the 20,000 Leagues DVD, but they didn't.

I was pleased with the presentation of these shorts... :thumbsup:

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Yes, you get anamorphic on those six. And yes, they look better than Donald v. 2 and Rarities, but they are still old transfers that have been cleaned up. All of the other sets were based on new transfers - and they look much better.

Anamorphic issues aside, this is analogous to the original version of the star wars movies that came out two years ago. They had been processed to be the best they could be, but they were still the old masters from an early 1990 era transfer. Which left them lacking by today's standards.

Look, Disney is my favorite company. And when they're good, they're very good. But they took the cheap, easy route on Donald v. 4. And I'm disappointed by it.

-R

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
One of the Donald shorts is cut. "Bee On Guard" is missing the ending. The entire short is on youtube.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
been watching donald 4 this morning and it looks as good as Donald 3 to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks