What's new

Walt Disney Treasures 11/27 (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wartime Cartoons is coming a little bit later.
IMO, it's a good idea since I was barely able to afford the Silly Symphony, Mickey in Color, and Disneyland sets last winter. :D
For those who want the last wave, you can still find them at Best Buy.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
Thanx, I'll pick up silly symphonies. It's cool to get those Tin boxes, but i don't have the courage to rip the plastic wrapp.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm kind of surprised they're doing this again. The first round didn't seem to sell very well, judging by the fact that nearly 8 months later there are still cases upon cases of these available at Costco and other stores. Anyone noticed those that are on shelves now seem to have lower numbers? I saw several in the 003000 range this weekend.

Are they making the same 150,000 each again, or a lesser amount?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
If the "Behind the Scenes" set has the film "The Reluctant Dragon" in its original form -- with all of the Robert Benchley live action -- it probably IS worth having for that alone. At least if you're a dedicated Disney fan. It's a rare look at the Disney studios in its (relatively) early days.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
"If the "BEHIND THE SCENES…" set has the film "THE RELUCTANT DRAGON" in its original form -- with all of the Robert Benchley live action -- it probably IS worth having for that alone. At least if you're a dedicated Disney fan. It's a rare look at the Disney studios in its (relatively) early days."
Is there any definite information about whether the original full-length version of THE RECLUCTANT DRAGON (1941) will be included in this set in its entirety? I have never watched this but I would gladly purchase the BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE WALT DISNEY STUDIOS Tin IF it is included.
From the first wave of Walt Disney Treasures, I purchased the SILLY SYMPHONIES set and have MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR on order. I was very pleasantly surprised by the overall quality of the SILLY SYMPHONIES Tin and now I am looking forward to watching MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR. Next time I won't wait nearly five months before ordering them but I will be pre-ordering both MICKEY MOUSE IN BLACK AND WHITE and THE COMPLETE GOOFY.
Quote:
"quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goofy one runs 523mins, thats almost 9 hrs of Goofy cartoons
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That must be a mistake. Only about 5 hours of Goofy cartoons were ever made. Probably should read 323 minutes."
According to the IMDB (Link Removed), there were 87 Goofy animated short subjects made between 1932 and 1965. Since some of the earlier ones featured Mickey Mouse, it is safe to assume that they have already been included in the MICKEY MOUSE IN LIVING COLOR set. Even so, the running time of 523 minutes quoted in the Disney website must be closer to the truth. Perhaps they will be spread over three discs instead of two?
Quote:
“Hmm there are three other treasures that have been rumored:
WARTIME CARTOONS
WALT DISNEYS TRUE LIFE ADVENTURES
DR. SYN ALIAS THE SCARECROW (THE SCARECROW OF ROMNEY MARSH)
Perhaps Disney is listening to the collectors and will launch a third wave, also consisting of three titles in mid 2003?”
I was particularly looking forward to the WARTIME CARTOONS set, particularly if it will include the original, full-length version of VICTORY THROUGH AIR POWER (1943) and the classic Donald Duck short, DER FUERHER’S FACE (1943), as has been rumored. I might also consider the WALT DISNEYS TRUE LIFE ADVENTURES Tin, which will probably include THE AFRICAN LION (1955), PERRI (1957), WHITE WILDERNESS (1960) and, perhaps the best-known of the bunch, THE LIVING DESERT (1953) (which I have never watched).
Quote:
"I'm kind of surprised they're doing this again. The first round didn't seem to sell very well, judging by the fact that nearly 8 months later there are still cases upon cases of these available at Costco and other stores."
I sincerely hope that the people at Disney do not base their decision to release more of these Treasures Tins solely on whether the previous wave has sold out or not. There is a significant fan base for these historically important and highly entertaining animation classics. Even if today’s toddlers are apparently being raised on a singularly unattractive diet of inferior children’s programmes or whatever, the cartoons made during the Golden Age of Animation still have their audience in us serious film collectors and today, thanks to the DVD format, we can enjoy and admire them at our leisure in beautifully restored prints!
This reminds me: is anybody getting VCI’s upcoming 2-Disc set of THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION - MAX FLEISCHER'S COLOR CLASSICS: SOMEWHERE IN DREAMLAND? I have fond memories of watching several of these in the early mornings on an Italian TV channel some ten years ago! VCI is one of the better independent DVD labels around and the results should be top-notch. The supplementary features do sound promising at least! (http://www.vcihomevideo.com/1024.html).

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
Well, IMDB is wrong! There were, by my reckoning, 45 Goofy cartoons in all. At about 7 minutes each that comes to 308 minutes, about 5 hours altogether.
Well, you are both wrong! According to the Disney A to Z Encyclopedia, there were 48 Goofy cartoons starting with "Goofy and Wilbur" in 1939 and ending with "Goofy's Freeway Trouble" in 1965.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
"The Official Encyclopedia"
Disney A to Z
It has complete lists of all the shorts by each character as well as tons of other stuff like every "Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood" feature from 1. Snow White to 344. Toy Story. I have the older edition.

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
So that Goofy running time had to be a misprint if the cover says its only 2 disc set.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I personaly am drooling over this scan of Mickey: gold on black lettering - beautiful.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Looks like they did drop the production run for these sets. Does that say 125,000 or 135,000?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I got all four of the first wave and I'm definately getting the three announced now. Of course I hope we'll also see the Wartime collection soon. And the True Life Adventures collection rumoured some months ago.

The number of Goofy shorts is about 45-48, so if the 523 mins running time is correct it must include lots and lots of extras. 323 mins would be more likely.

The 255 mins running time of the MM BW could include the same 33 shorts as the earlier LD box set or a new compilation of about half of the 74 BW Mickey shorts.

The 1941 feature The Reluctant Dragon is known to exist on laserdisc, although it's extremely rare. As far as I know, it was released under the title Behind the scenes... I'd say the DVD is well worth getting for this alone, but is there going to be anything else on the disc? That seems to be suggested, but not clearly spelt out...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I bought the entire first wave, and will be getting the rest, whatever they may be. I'll also be buying all of the Vault Disney titles if they are up to the standards of the first four.

I too am looking forward to the Wartime Cartoons and the True Life Adventures set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks