What's new

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2 (2 Viewers)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam_S said:
LOL, DCPs can be made for as little as $20/minute for 4k, $10/minute for 2k The price on DCPs is down, way down.  plus a few hundred bucks for the requisite harddrives and redundant backups. 
Getting from an 'as is' film asset to the point where you make a DCP is the expensive part,  Telecine and restoration, or even just remastering, still cost more than a DCP.  
Last time I spoke with a studio's rep division, the problem was not the cost TO THEM to make a DCP copy, it was the fact that they would not let them into anyone's hands but their own and their designated third party who the exhibitor had to pay a four figure fee to come and upload and then clear off your theatre's server. That killed all possibility for revival houses to run them and that's why I was told it was SOP to just run the DVD. To this day how many revival repertory houses can you name that regularly run DCP catalog films?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
The Castro in SF has run DCP's of catalog titles. They have also run Blu-rays.
At present, they only have a 2K projector, but there is room for hope since they have been very progressive.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by rsmithjr /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/150#post_3998001
The Castro in SF has run DCP's of catalog titles. They have also run Blu-rays.
At present, they only have a 2K projector, but there is room for hope since they have been very progressive.

The Castro also showed Escape to Witch Mountain this weekend; its website said it was a DCP. Of course, the Walt Disney Family Museum sponsored it.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
NY2LA said:
Last time I spoke with a studio's rep division, the problem was not the cost TO THEM to make a DCP copy, it was the fact that they would not let them into anyone's hands but their own and their designated third party who the exhibitor had to pay a four figure fee to come and upload and then clear off your theatre's server. That killed all possibility for revival houses to run them and that's why I was told it was SOP to just run the DVD. To this day how many revival repertory houses can you name that regularly run DCP catalog films?
How long ago was that? Things must have changed since then as I just ran four in the past month, cost was exactly the same as 35mm (other than an extra $75 "DCP fee"). I've run about a dozen classics in the past couple of years and never paid more than the 35mm rate.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I want "The Moon-Spinners" too and the rest of the Hayley Mills titles also!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by MarkA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/150#post_3998117

Maybe if Pollyanna sells well, we'll get the rest of them.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
MarkA said:
I enjoy the Moon-Spinners. I'm sure a piece of that is it brings me to a certain time in my life.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I would be more than happy to have my ten-year-old self's love affair with Hayley Mills reignited on BLU. Any and all titles. Bring 'em on!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Chas in CT said:
I would be more than happy to have my ten-year-old self's love affair with Hayley Mills reignited on BLU.  Any and all titles.  Bring 'em on!
Speaking of Hayley Mills, I would love more than just the Disney titles too. Would love titles like Tiger Bay, Chalk Garden, Deadly Strangers, Twisted Nerve, etc. She's not been properly represented in the digital age in North America.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Chalk Garden was given a terrible MOD release that wasn't even anamorphic. I wish Universal (if they still own the rights) would release "The Truth About Spring".

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm definitely down for Pollyanna and Parent Trap. The latter should be interesting to watch again now that I actually live in the town where it's set.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
MatthewA said:
I'm definitely down for Pollyanna and Parent Trap. The latter should be interesting to watch again now that I actually live in the town where it's set.
Well, where half of it is set, anyway. Although Boston was basically recreated with sodium screens. And I was heartbroken when I learned that Brian Keith's uber-cool house was merely an exterior on the Disney lot with the interiors done in the studio. To this day, I believe, people contact Disney with requests of the floorplan of the "Parent Trap" house.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark-P said:
The Disney website now has a little bit of information about the "Babes in Toyland" Blu-ray. It says 1080p High Definition (1.33:1) but I'm almost sure that is a misprint because the video clips on the page are actually 1.66:1
http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/babes-in-toyland.html
And now the Disney website has updated the info (link above) with the correct aspect ratio: 1.66:1. So we can put our minds at rest - Babes in Toyland will be in widescreen!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Steve...O said:
Mr. Maltin is one of the all time good guys in my book.  He genuiinely loves classic film, animation and otherwise, and has done wonderful work to increase their exposure across multiple generations.  Let's face it, when the likes of Mr. Maltin and Mr. Behlmer (among others) fade from the scene, the bench of replacements doesn't look that deep.
Yeah, I concur. Remember Bob Dorian, who hosted the once-terrific AMC for many years? If we lose Robert Osbourne too, that'll leave a tremendous void of knowledgeable, enthusiastic cable channel personnel who can so beautifully engage and inform us before each classic film presentation. Now that Ebert is without (audible) voice and Siskel is gone, who's left to stir up our interest in offbeat, foreign and indie films? Well, Ebert has a fine web site and Maltin a very good one, but for t.v. viewers the pickins are gettin' slim. Who can glean anything of interest from a 30-second bite on Entertainment Tonight?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks