What's new

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2 (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Maltin is one of the all time good guys in my book. He genuiinely loves classic film, animation and otherwise, and has done wonderful work to increase their exposure across multiple generations. Let's face it, when the likes of Mr. Maltin and Mr. Behlmer (among others) fade from the scene, the bench of replacements doesn't look that deep.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/120#post_3994743
Have you ever met the guy?
At any rate, between the Disney sets and the WB sets, he is overexposed, and it doesn't make him any more appealing being forced to watch him give the same comments over and over every time you play a cartoon...
Yes, several times, and he's very gracious, a great conversationalist and extremely knowledgeable and passionate about film.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh must be going blu around the end of February. First sign, It's booked for two weeks at the El Capitan. in the middle of the month. Also Peter Pan.

I'm thrilled that they are getting the animated features out so quickly! Now I wish they would do the same for the package animation, especially "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad"...hopefully that one will be here by next Halloween.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The Disney website now has a little bit of information about the "Babes in Toyland" Blu-ray. It says 1080p High Definition (1.33:1) but I'm almost sure that is a misprint because the video clips on the page are actually 1.66:1
http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/babes-in-toyland.html

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
NY2LA said:
/t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/120#post_3997057
I'm thrilled that they are getting the animated features out so quickly! Now I wish they would do the same for the package animation, especially "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad"...hopefully that one will be here by next Halloween.
I will gladly buy the package features, assuming they are uncut and uncensored. These are more likely to appeal to adults and hardcore Disney fans than kids and soccer moms anyway, making it pointless to cover up this stuff. If an anti-smoking PSA is sufficient for Pinocchio, then it's more than enough for these films. I know Melody Time was edited in the 1990s VHS release, but I can't remember whether Make Mine Music met the same fate. These films may not be Fantasia, but they don't deserve to be censored either. If we cover up the past, then how can we learn from it?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's fantastic news about the original POOH possibly
coming to Blu-ray.

How many times I watched that as a kid on my B&W TV.

Still can recite all the songs

"The rain rain rain came down down down....."

"The wonderful thing about Tiggers....I'm the only one"

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Ronald Epstein said:
coming to Blu-ray.
I would love to have this on bluray as well.
I've watched it many times too.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
MatthewA said:
Glad to see the original Pooh on the way. I forgot just how good it was until the DVD came out. But I went to the El Capitan website and saw nothing about Pooh, just ads for Peter Pan and Monsters, Inc. in 3-D. I don't understand why they don't do national screenings of any of the Walt-era titles the way they do with the Renaissance and Pixar stuff.
I will gladly buy the package features, assuming they are uncut and uncensored. These are more likely to appeal to adults and hardcore Disney fans than kids and soccer moms anyway, making it pointless to cover up this stuff. If an anti-smoking PSA is sufficient for Pinocchio, then it's more than enough for these films. I know Melody Time was edited in the 1990s VHS release, but I can't remember whether Make Mine Music met the same fate. These films may not be Fantasia, but they don't deserve to be censored either. If we cover up the past, then how can we learn from it?
Make Mine Music had "The Martins and the Coys" segment removed when it was released on video. Hope that helps.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by t1g3r5fan /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/120#post_3997220
Make Mine Music had "The Martins and the Coys" segment removed when it was released on video. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I've seen the individual parts of both these films, but I only have seen MMM in its entirety, back on the Disney Channel circa 1989, but I can't recall whether it had that segment or not. It may have had it (I wish I had taped it), but it was before their censorship habits got out of control.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/120#post_3997185
coming to Blu-ray.

I need to hear and see you sing that at the next meet, Ron.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
Glad to see the original Pooh on the way. I forgot just how good it was until the DVD came out. But I went to the El Capitan website and saw nothing about Pooh, just ads for Peter Pan and Monsters, Inc. in 3-D. I don't understand why they don't do national screenings of any of the Walt-era titles the way they do with the Renaissance and Pixar stuff.
The forecourt of the El Capitan has about six display cases plus two added to the front of the boxoffice so they have plenty of room to put things up for the next several bookings. Even the one for Pooh was split up to include a mention of Lady and the Tramp coming back again. The website has only so many set windows to put upcoming stuff.
It was Eisner's regime that did away with the seven year theatrical reissue cycle after adding home video into it. He made exceptions for movies produced during his time in charge, so we saw many returns of Little Mermaid and Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. When they started putting them out in Imax, somehow Aladdin got shoved aside for Lion King. It was easier to book a couple weeks into the El Capitan because they only needed one print and a couple posters. Since the EC was among the first to go digital, it got even easier to slip in an old movie there, but now that most cinemas are digital, it seems it should be easier for them to book catalog classics into more places, all they'd need is posters and DCPs

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
NY2LA said:
It was Eisner's regime that did away with the seven year theatrical reissue cycle after adding home video into it. He made exceptions for movies produced during his time in charge, so we saw many returns of Little Mermaid and Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. When they started putting them out in Imax, somehow Aladdin got shoved aside for Lion King. It was easier to book a couple weeks into the El Capitan because they only needed one print and a couple posters. Since the EC was among the first to go digital, it got even easier to slip in an old movie there, but now that most cinemas are digital, it seems it should be easier for them to book catalog classics into more places, all they'd need is posters and DCPs
Considering the fact that Disney has been working on 4k scans of their entire library for the past few years and restoring the most popular ones, perhaps we will start to see them go this route with the pre-Eisner films. For the 1990s Renaissance reissues, they went back to the CAPS files and made DCPs from those, no scanning required. They have been more friendly with repertory cinemas, though, which is more than I can say for Warner Bros.

I still think Iger is better than Eisner, despite the whole Rich Ross debacle (I guess time will decide John Carter's ultimate fate). If nothing else, he did mend fences with Pixar, and after seeing Wreck-It Ralph last night I think animation is safe for the foreseeable future. It's far from perfect, but things are better by any standards. Every time they do something I don't agree with, I can always look up the Save Disney archives at archive.org and remind myself that things can get worse, and they did. Eisner seemed like he didn't care if he burned bridges between the company, its employees and even its longtime fans.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
It would be nice if we could finally get a decent presentation of The Moon-Spinners.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by WadeM /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/150#post_3997584
It would be nice if we could finally get a decent presentation of The Moon-Spinners.

Oh, boy, I second that suggestion!

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
Considering the fact that Disney has been working on 4k scans of their entire library for the past few years and restoring the most popular ones, perhaps we will start to see them go this route with the pre-Eisner films. For the 1990s Renaissance reissues, they went back to the CAPS files and made DCPs from those, no scanning required. They have been more friendly with repertory cinemas, though, which is more than I can say for Warner Bros.
Considering that the studios demanded and forced the digital conversion, it's sad to say that the cost of getting a DCP of a catalog title downloaded onto your server has been prohibitive for repertory cinemas. My experience with Warner's rep dept a few years ago was they were very friendly, even to the point of holding a print, but the price of the DCP transfer was huge. Even as the studios swore digital was better, they pretty much forced exhibitors to run older titles from DVD or Blu Ray. Imagine waiting in line and paying to see a classic movie at the world's most famous movie theatre, and when the curtains open, after a few seconds of blankness, what flickers onto the screen is the disclaimer about commentary interviews that precedes the movie on the DVD.
I agree about Iger.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/150#post_3997588
Considering that the studios demanded and forced the digital conversion, it's sad to say that the cost of getting a DCP of a catalog title downloaded onto your server has been prohibitive for repertory cinemas. My experience with Warner's rep dept a few years ago was they were very friendly, even to the point of holding a print, but the price of the DCP transfer was huge. Even as the studios swore digital was better, they pretty much forced exhibitors to run older titles from DVD or Blu Ray. Imagine waiting in line and paying to see a classic movie at the world's most famous movie theatre, and when the curtains open, after a few seconds of blankness, what flickers onto the screen is the disclaimer about commentary interviews that precedes the movie on the DVD.
I agree about Iger.

As soon as the price of DCPs comes down, and Disney begins actively restoring titles that need the most work, I wouldn't call it impossible. Ten years ago, I would have called it unthinkable.

I became more optimistic about the possibility of people's voices being heard and making a difference after talking to the people at 1-800-72-DISNEY. They're smart, knowledgeable and honest, and they did a fine job handling the missing lines on the Pinocchio Blu-ray. I'm doing everything I can to make a positive change in the company. And frankly, I'd rather deal with them than Universal.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Mark-P said:
The Disney website now has a little bit of information about the "Babes in Toyland" Blu-ray. It says 1080p High Definition (1.33:1) but I'm almost sure that is a misprint because the video clips on the page are actually 1.66:1
http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/babes-in-toyland.html
Those clips look absolutely glorious. If that's an indication of how the Blu-ray is going to look then we are in for a treat. I've always loved "Babes in Toyland" and as a testament to the talent of Annette Funicello it's superb.
Australia will be treated to "Babes in Toyland" (and "Pollyanna") in early December on Blu-ray... cannot wait to get both.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Originally Posted by MatthewA /t/319317/walt-disney-studios-home-entertainment-will-release-more-than-30-catalog-titles-on-blu-ray-disc-in-2012/150#post_3997808

As soon as the price of DCPs comes down, and Disney begins actively restoring titles that need the most work, I wouldn't call it impossible. Ten years ago, I would have called it unthinkable.

I became more optimistic about the possibility of people's voices being heard and making a difference after talking to the people at 1-800-72-DISNEY. They're smart, knowledgeable and honest, and they did a fine job handling the missing lines on the Pinocchio Blu-ray. I'm doing everything I can to make a positive change in the company. And frankly, I'd rather deal with them than Universal.
LOL, DCPs can be made for as little as $20/minute for 4k, $10/minute for 2k The price on DCPs is down, way down. plus a few hundred bucks for the requisite harddrives and redundant backups.

Getting from an 'as is' film asset to the point where you make a DCP is the expensive part, Telecine and restoration, or even just remastering, still cost more than a DCP.

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
classicmovieguy said:
Those clips look absolutely glorious. If that's an indication of how the Blu-ray is going to look then we are in for a treat. I've always loved "Babes in Toyland" and as a testament to the talent of Annette Funicello it's superb.
Australia will be treated to "Babes in Toyland" (and "Pollyanna") in early December on Blu-ray... cannot wait to get both.
One of the glories of dye-transfer Technicolor, it looked just smashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks