1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release more than 30 catalog titles on Blu-ray Disc in 2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Richard V

Richard V Well-Known Member

Richard
    This summer the studio will release Father of the Bride and Bringing Down the House May 15; The Color of Money, Cocktail and Ransom June 5; Sister Act and Evita June 19; and The Horse Whisperer, Under the Tuscan Sun, Phenomenon, Step Up, Home On The Range and Treasure Planet July 3.
    This fall will see Adventures in Babysitting, Grosse Pointe Blank, Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, The Rescuers, High Fidelity, Ed Wood, Judge Dredd, Ghost of the Abyss 3D, Lady And The Tramp 2: Scamp’s Adventure, Pocahontas, The Tigger Movie, The Aristocats and Pete’s Dragon.
    Beginning in October Disney will release Hocus Pocus, Arachnophobia, The Hand That Rocks The Cradle, Son of Flubber, Cold Creek Manor, The Santa Clause Trilogy, The Absent-Minded Professor, Flubber, While You Were Sleeping, Sweet Home Alabama, Beaches, Babes in Toyland, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Brother Bear and Dick Tracy.
    I'm definitely in for the highlighted features, esp Grosse Point Blank, Ed Wood, and Dick Tracy. but where are the other great ones, like the aforementioned Mary Poppins, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and add in The Adventures of Davy Crockett and The Scarecrow of Rodney Marsh, to name just a few?

2. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Again, regarding 20,000 Leagues, it's currently undergoing a restoration. We won't (and really shouldn't) see a Blu-ray release until that's finished.

And they wouldn't announce 20k or Mary Poppins as part of a group announcement like this anyway. They are far too big of titles to do so.

3. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    I think it is great that some of these lesser catalogue titles are being released by Disney, and were not licensed to Mill Creek.

4. Mark B

Mark B Well-Known Member

Mark
    Yawn. Bring on the real Disney catalogue titles.

5. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

I'll definitely be picking up Ed Wood.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Well-Known Member

Matthew
    Definitely some exciting news there, considering how shoddily some of these films were treated on DVD with non-anamorphic or MAR transfers. I understand the frustration of the paucity of Walt-era titles and the emphasis on Touchstone films, but a lot of them probably need restoration work. Some of them are obvious tie-ins to revivals (Evita) and stage versions (Sister Act), and some movies have anniversaries (Pete's Dragon and The Rescuers both turn 35 this year). Still, it's an effort to get catalog titles out, and I hope they get treated better on Blu-ray than a lot of them got treated on DVD.

Put me down for Pete's Dragon, The Rescuers, The Aristocats, The Absent-Minded Professor, Son of Flubber (why aren't those in a double feature?), Ed Wood, Sister Act, Evita and Hocus Pocus. I may even buy Beaches if only for "the Ballad of Otto Titsling."

7. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Well-Known Member

Agree with these titles. The Horse Whisperer's DVD is terrible and does not conform to the 2 different aspect ratios as shown in theaters. Hope the upcoming Blu has this feature...

8. Mark-P

Mark-P Well-Known Member

Mark Probst
    For all of you squawking about Mary Poppins not being part of this list, it was mentioned here that they are planning to release it in 2014 for it 50th anniversary. FINALLY we get a few Wall-era live-action movies. Maybe not the cream of the crop, but it's something. I'm definitely excited about Son of Flubber which has always been full-frame and cropped on all previous releases.

9. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Premium
    Supporter

Rob Ray
    Same here. I'm not worried about Poppins. It'll come when the time is right. I'm thrilled about the Flubber movies. More Walt-era films on BluRay!

10. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    Words can't describe how happy I am about GROSSE POINTE BLANK and HIGH FIDELITY. HDNet has started airing BLANK recently, and I was just wondering (hoping) that this meant a Blu-ray might be on the way...

11. trajan

trajan Well-Known Member

Would like to have seen BELOVED on that list.

12. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Sign me up for several...most excited about Grosse Pointe Blank.

13. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Why are people complaining about titles that are not on the list? Did you expect Disney to release the entirety of its back catalog in one go?

14. benbess

benbess Well-Known Member

Ben Hufbauer
    You're right. I suppose we should celebrate what we have....But, six years into the format it seems like Disney should have gotten around to what some think is the greatest live action movie they made when Walt himself was still alive.
    [VIDEO]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhyuey4xU3Q[/VIDEO]

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I do agree that Disney has been very slow in getting out their
    prized live-action library to Blu-ray.

On the other hand....

They have done a tremendous job getting their prized animated
    titles out. They have also been one of the most active supporters
    of the 3D format, releasing some of the best 3D titles of any other
    studio. Their 3D releases are hard to beat in terms of presentation
    quality.

Disney has done a fantastic job supporting Blu-ray -- you can't
    argue that.

Other than Pete's Dragon, there is nothing in this list that really
    excites me. I do agree that stuff like Mary Poppins and 20,000
    Leagues will probably not be lumped into this list. In other words,
    I am hoping we will be surprised by an announcement sooner than
    later.

16. Guest

It would be nice if they would alternate a classic live action film with the animated ones now and then, rather than just the latter.

17. benbess

benbess Well-Known Member

Ben Hufbauer
    I guess that's what bugs me. Their animated films sell in the hundreds of thousands or millions of copies on blu-ray at premium prices. In other words, those titles are guaranteed to be profitable no matter how much they spend on restoring them and recoloring them for blu-ray. But when it comes to a title that's more iffy in terms of sales, like 20,000 Leagues, they seemingly haven't gotten around to it yet. 250 million for John Carter? Sure. But half a million for 20,000 leagues, not yet seemingly....

18. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Well-Known Member

Alan
    I wonder if 20,000 Leagues will be released in 2014 for its 60th anniversary. If they're doing a load of work on it, it may not be ready 'till next year anyway, so they can sit on it for a year. I have happy memories of seeing Babes In Toyland, but being 61 I've probably outgrown it. I like Judge Dredd, I wonder if the new version will as good.

19. Guest

It will be nice to finally see Babes in Toyland in widescreen.

20. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member
    Supporter

Charles Smith
    EXACTLY.