What's new

WALT DISNEY STUDIOS HOME ENTERTAINMENT ROLLS INTO 2008 WITH BLU-RAY™ (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Here is a current Disney press release with some title announcements:

WDSHE Expands Blu-ray Line-Up with First Platinum Blu-ray Release, BD-Live and Full Motion Picture-in-Picture

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I am pleased to see the BD tour extended. As it looks like we will have one format in hte next few months, there needs to be a greater focus on letting the public see and hear the difference between HD and DVD.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Nice! Thanks for the update, Adam! :)

I can't wait to see more PIXAR films on Blu-Ray, and now with Sleeping Beauty on Blu-Ray coming, that means the rest of the great Disney classics should be coming soon!

Beauty & The Beast, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, etc.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is Disney "vaulting" their Blu Ray releases -- releasing titles serially for a short period and then pulling them out of production for a while?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I believe that Disney usually keeps those titles on sale for at least a year or so and then will pull them. And I don't think any of the releases (maybe Cars or Ratatouille will?) they've had yet really fall under the 'Vault' category.

No doubt that when it happens, you'll hear about it and have time to pick up copies.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Dave,

I'm sure they will. That has nothing to do with "format" (ie, they did that with laserdisc, VHS, and DVD regardless).

I'm PSYCHED to get Finding Nemo on Blu-ray... with 24-bit lossless sound (as Disney always does). AWESOME NEWS.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I don't think they have ever vaulted Pixar titles. I wouldn't be surprised to eventually see them do it with BD, but it may take them longer since they will want titles available as customers start migrating from DVD.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I remember the original Toy Story DVD going for a nice penny before the 10th anniversary re-release.

LCD22

Screenwriter
I wonder if Crimson Tide will be the theatrical cut or the unrated extended cut. I hope it's the former.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Disappointed to see Signs and There Will Be Blood not on the North America list. I'm really excited about Sleeping Beauty, however I'm not sure about Finding Nemo. I've already watched it so many times with the kids I can't imagine watching it in the home theater. Unless I get a BD player for downstairs... *ding ding ding* :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Don't like the sound of this. The original theatrical release was 6 channel mag stereo. How are they going to accomplish this? We all know what happened with some of the "enhanced" home theater mixes.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
So far Disney has had a good track record of also providing original sound mixes on their DVDs with "enhanced" tracks. Let's hope we get the original mix for Sleeping Beauty... in lossless 24-bit.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

I don't know how accurate this list is since we've already seen the release announcement for No Country For Old Men on BD in March, yet it's not mentioneded on this list. Since that title has the same company behind them (Paramount Vantage/Miramax) as There Will Be Blood, I would expect it to have a BD release in North America around the same time.

If that's winds up not being the case, I'm going to be extremely pissed. There's absolutely no reason why there shouldn't be a BD release that's day/date with the SD release.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

That's good to know. I had heard No Country For Old Men had been announced but I hadn't tied it to a WDSHE release. Of course that may be the reason that it wasn't mentioned in this list. Also if the overseas distributor for There Will Be Blood is more closely related to WD that could be reason for it not to be included on the NA list.

Roogs Benoit

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew,
Your concerns aren't unfounded in regards to the "Enhanced mixes" for some of Disney's dvd's.
I think "The Lion King" was their first and best DEHT to date. The worst was "Mary Poppins" but I partially blame Warner Bro's for that, because they did the mixes, not Disney. It is Disney's responsibility though to say that this doesn't meet our standards for a DEHT mix...and they didn't.

I wouldn't worry about "Sleeping Beauty" in 7.1 because Disney spent a lot of time and money doing this one right. Using not only the best elements available but the best personnel available too. I can't say much more about it since I haven't seen the feature in 7.1 but I will bet that you will be very pleased with this new "Enhanced Mix".

Disney (almost) always puts the original soundtrack along with their "Enhanced" versions.

David B.
I also hope for 24bit Lossless audio on this title. Even if it's Dolby True-HD instead of PCM. They may need the space since there is also a French 7.1 track going on the disc I believe.

This will be a quality disc no doubt. Disney's first Platinum BD release should be special indeed.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Roogs!

Sigh, how satisfying to read a post like this from you. Thank-you! Please put in a word to wheover you can that, as great as that new 7.1 DEHT mix might be, to present the original mix (with its original EQ in tact and no noise reduction) in lossless form as well. TrueHD is just fine... and hopefully Disney will not put Dialog Normalization needlessly on a lossless/reference-primary track.

Warner? Now it makes sense... :D But how any Disney person with 2 ears could have let that one hit the store shelves sounding the way it did is beyond me. Perhaps they were in the habit of listening to their speaker monitors wrapped with thick towels, and so didn't realize that all the naturalness and high-frequency detail had been filtered away from Julie's voice...

dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks