What's new

Wall mural idea (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm totally gutting and changing my media room in my basement to better utilize the space down here. Anyway the new room will only be 13 wide by 12 deep with all inwalls and a 50" plasma display so I'm busy at the moment putting in new walls and installing drywall etc.

I've been thinking about the front 'feature' wall though and what to do with it. The rear and sides will have Linacoustic covered with a red fabric up the first 36" with some sort of paint on the top half (unsure on colour yet but likely a grey) The ceiling tiles were painted dark grey previously so they'll stay as is. I was thinking of going with a darker grey on the front wall but that seems rather dull and would really darken the room so I began thinking of some nice wall murals and came across this from the Hubble Site. I have access to a photo quality plotter at work so it won't be a problem to blow these images up to cover most of the front wall (I'll double the images in photo shop to make them 40" square). On this front wall there would be the three in wall fronts, the 50" black plasma and a silver/black gear rack with glass shelves in the corner. I'm curious what other people think though of the idea?

Chinadog

Grip
Real Name
Bud
I thought about a mural in the back of my theater at some point, but I ended up going with GOM everywhere. I thought about "An Evening at the Paramount" mural in the game room through, but didn'r have a good wall for it. This is the one I was talking about.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I've decided against the idea for the time being as I really wanted a deep burgandy front wall. I did plot off one of the tiles and it looks great though and I may see what it looks like on the ceiling instead.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have been trying to find movie related pictures, but something special.. not the flim reels and what not... something a little different. I think I am going to get some black frames and while we are out on our little weekend road trips snap some pictures of old theaters or at least their signs.. I know of several in the immediate area. Might do drive in signs too, before they are gone.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
In our theater room at the shop we're doing a cityscape, much like the ones I did at Nick Barnett's club Five Six in town here.

The first wall at the club I did a 20ft wide cityscape of LA. It was cut from 3 layers of 3/4" MDF so it has some depth to it also. The windows were cutout and the back was covered in frosted acrylic. I then wrapped rope lights behind and covered with foil to brighten the windows and direct light more evenly through the windows. Then I placed small puck lights behind to create a backlighting effect for the skyline and light up the wall behind.

They liked the first one so much they wanted one of Chicago on the other wall. this one turned out to be 28ft long as the wall itself was longer. I added some color to a few of the windows to make it more realistic.

So in our shop I'm doing the same thing in sections between the pillars. The difference is that I will be doing New York and Chicago and I am doing a mural for a sky scene behind the cityscape. There is a stormy night sky scene going behind New York:

And a sunset sky scene going behind chicago:

When it's all said and done, it should look quite nice. :)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks