What's new

Walking Dead Season 6 (1 Viewer)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I guess I can see you guys' points. Perhaps I'm just not as emotionally invested in this show as you all are. I like the show a lot, but it is nothing more than mindless entertainment to me. While I do consider it a character driven show, I don't really feel that attached to the characters.

I couldn't have cared less whether Glenn was alive or dead as a character, but one thing I am glad about him being alive is the fact that we won't have to deal with the Maggie aftermath. But I think Maggie finding out what happened to him via Zombie Glenn could have been cool. Who knows, maybe we will still see that? Glenn hasn't survived yet.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps I'm just not as emotionally invested in this show as you all are.

Well, I probably am too invested and stunts like the one we have been discussing are going to remedy that situation.

- Walter.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Honestly, from the very moment Glen's "death scene" played out three episodes ago the way it was presented sent up flags that something my was off and I was very suspicious that what we thought we saw wasn't actually what we saw.

Then at the beginning of this episode they showed that it happened the way I was suspecting it really did.

No argument that they were trying to deceive the audience. But I don't think it was necessarily a "cheat" since the way it was presented left some doubt about what had actuall happened in the first place.

I mean, what they showed in this episode was basically the exact thing that I (and others) already thought would be the case. I'm neither a genius nor a clairvoyant, so I think it's fair to say that the situation as presented had this as a possibility from the get go.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
I still think it wasn't a great idea and the execution was lacking. I really enjoyed the first four episodes of this season, but the last two or three haven't been nearly as good.

t2smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Toby
The way I look at it, if somebody dies there is usually no doubt by the end of the episode and they are usually shown In Memoriam on The Talking Dead. If they leave any doubt, assume the character is alive. I can't be too mad at a show that has killed off more regulars than any other show I have ever watched.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The fact that "Talking Dead" after that episode took such pains to highlight that Glenn wasn't definitively dead, complete with a special message from Scott Gimble, tells me they were already having second thoughts about the bait and switch by the time the episode aired.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
From the beginning of this whole Glen thing, I feel like it was lame whether he was dead or not dead. If he really had died, it just screamed of "LOOK AT THIS! WE'RE GONNA KILL GLENN!" Just a random event in a random episode. And I say this because that's exactly how I felt when I first saw the episode when he (didn't really) die. I honestly believed it, and thought "Huh, okay." I just didn't feel anything other than "Well that's the lamest thing TWD has even done." They've killed characters before, but this was (or would have been) the least interesting and carried no weight at all. After reading all the buzz on the net and fan theories, I decided pretty quick that he wasn't dead, and that doing all this was every bit as lame as actually killing him would've been. Overall, this whole thing is LAME! Plus, as others said, it really hurts any potential for me to feel anything at all for characters on this show anymore. I'll still watch, but it's a different show now. Nothing will shock me anymore because it'll be impossible to take anything seriously.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The Glenn thing was a dick move but posters everywhere on recaps spotted and predicted it exactly, so I never had much of a dog in that fight.

My main beef with the show is stop trying to pretend to have the characters sound so profound (and talk literately, and literally, like no one does), and just get on with your bad comic book self. You're a freakin' comic book! Stop filling the gaps between action sequences with ponderous moments grasping at something bigger or more important. You're not. And the writers simply aren't up to it. Just bring on your silly WTF stuff, and entertain us.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Hollywoodaholic said:
The Glenn thing was a dick move but posters everywhere on recaps spotted and predicted it exactly, so I never had much of a dog in that fight.

My main beef with the show is stop trying to pretend to have the characters sound so profound (and talk literately, and literally, like no one does), and just get on with your bad comic book self. You're a freakin' comic book! Stop filling the gaps between action sequences with ponderous moments grasping at something bigger or more important. You're not. And the writers simply aren't up to it. Just bring on your silly WTF stuff, and entertain us.

That's NOT what the show is or the comic books. If you believe that, then go read some of those comics and you'll see first hand. It may not seem quite as ponderous in print, but the show is able to convey feelings and events in a way that only a TV or movie can. I certainly like those little moments and fee it adds to their psyche for a more in depth look.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
Your argument is a close corollary of the position that often gets trotted out when people complain about a lapse in logic in a superhero movie or show: "Who cares, we're talking about a movie/show/whatever where people can fly and shoot laser beams out of their eyes!"

I've never bought into that. Even a fantasy world has to be internally consistent with the rules it's established for itself. If anything, a piece of entertainment where people fly (or the dead stand up and roam the earth) has to work harder at generating verisimilitude, so that the audience will buy into the elements that aren't possible.

Part of what made us believe a man could fly in the 1978 Superman was the fact that his Metropolis was a unsentimental, unfiltered reflection of the real New York City with all of the late seventies grit and warts.

Part of why we invest in a show about walking, carnivorous corpses is because the storytellers present a plausible, engaging reality for our living protagonists. The show started losing me when Glen Mazzara took over from Frank Darabont as showrunner and it felt like the plot was driving character instead of character driving the plot. When Scott M. Gimple took over from Mazzara, I found myself sucked right back in.

With the Glenn thing, I found myself thinking about the mechanics of television writing instead of the reality of the characters. The same thing with Rick running up to the gate of Alexandra when we'd last left him pinned down in the RV completely surrounded by walkers. Any time I'm thinking about the behind the scenes stuff instead of being sucked into the world on screen, the show has failed in my book.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I have the Compendium 1 of The Walking Dead, and enjoyed it immensely. I just got a little bent out of shape in this last episode when I couldn't understand what some of the characters were pontificating about. Particularly the scene in the accountant office with the stuck zombie. So maybe that's on me. I just didn't get it.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I understand the frustration with the way that Glen's fall was handled and Rick escaping the RV to a lesser extent. I guess it doesn't bother me as much because it was telegraphed pretty clearly so I didn't waste much emotion on it. Unlike for instance what I felt when I got to the end of the 5th book in the Song of Ice and Fire (game of thrones) and a certain main character was left dead on the page with possibly a multi year wait before any resolution possible if the tv series didn't speed past the books. That was a time where I was mad and thought about giving it up, but of course was too invested and will continue. For Walking Dead, I've moved on. It was poorly handled but not enough to shake my ability to continue watching.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Scott Hanson said:
I couldn't have cared less whether Glenn was alive or dead as a character, but one thing I am glad about him being alive is the fact that we won't have to deal with the Maggie aftermath.

That's where I was. I was more dreading the group droning on about how great Glenn was than I was saddened at the prospect of the character dying.

I may not be the show's optimum audience, though I am a reliable viewer.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That episode was pretty solid. It definitely makes me want to see what happens next. May Jesse forgive me but I hope Ron and Sam get eaten at the beginning of the next episode.

The creepiest thing in that episode wasn't the zombies eating people or the wolf guy, it was a little kid who listens to Tiny Tim.

And since we saw less of Deanna's death than Glenn's, I assume she's still alive by the show's new rules.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Some of these characters are too dumb to survive in the zombie apocalypse (Morgan, Sam, Ron), the drama they create just make for irritating viewing nowadays.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I honestly thought there would be a little bit more carnage in this episode, but I guess that they are saving that for the return on February 14th. Have to agree with Jason Alexander (on Talking Dead) that Sam has to go after the "Mom... Mom... Mom".

As much as I like Morgan (and Lennie James) all I could think was "F**kin' Morgan". On Talking Dead they speculated that Morgan's position might have some impact on Carol's outlook and I sincerely hope not.

How the heck is Dave Grohl :) going to escape with the doctor?

- Walter.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I also expected more carnage given how the previous episode ended, but having everybody get inside was the logical move.

I liked that Enid rejoined Glenn on his wing-and-a-prayer plan to reenter Alexandria, even though it will probably get her killed.

If the doctor ends up dying because of Morgan's actions, I'd have to think that it would affect his philosophy. "All life is precious" can't mean that the most horrible people get priority. Morgan didn't have to kill the "wolf", but he didn't have to stop Carol, either. I do think he had a point when he told Carol that this wasn't the time to resolve this. Just knowing the fox was in the henhouse was something Carol couldn't bear, but with all of the craziness going on outside, it wasn't the time to go after him.

I have a feeling that Carl covering for Ron is going to pan out about as well as Glenn covering for Nicholas. Hopefully minus the bullshit cliffhanger that is further played up with Chandler Riggs's name being removed from the credits for a couple episodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks