What's new

Walk Way Concrete Molds - Used One? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
You can see one here: Walkmaker™ Stone Mold

We've got a bird feeder on pole stuck in the ground and my wife is thinking this would be handy create a stone border for it to cut down on the seeds germinating there.

Anyone used these things? Do you like them? I supposed the resultant bricks should be placed on a bed of sand? This particular mold doesn't look like it would be handy creating a circular pattern.

I notice that Lowes has crack-resistance concrete mix. It has "special fibers" to reduce drying and cracking. It costs a couple bucks more a bag than the regular.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Your link doesn't work properly because of the colon at the end of html.
The first method sounds like it would be easier: less hassle making everything match up properly.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I've used it and can heartily recommend it. Don't bother with making a bed of sand. It doesn't make "bricks" that you place anywhere. It just lets you pour in place. Just dig out the sod and compact the soil, and you're ready to go.

You can form circular or curved pathways using the methods Johnny quoted above. I prefer the first method, too. Just use Willian Alexander's "Wet on Wet" technique (;)), and you'll be making curved pathways in no time.

This thing is handy, but don't kid yourself. Mixing and forming concrete one bag at a time is hard work.

For an extra bit of finish, you can get powdered concrete stain and sprinkle and float (using a floating tool) it on top of the concrete before it sets. It makes it look more stone-like and comes in different colors.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I kinda figured it would be hard work. Maybe I'm better off just buying pavers or something like that.

Would you recommend the readycrete cement or can I just use any brand?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
you can use any brand at all, but I would stay away from the quick-setting kind used to set posts. I wouldn't mess with the fiber reinforced stuff, either. That stuff is great if you're pouring a slab for a barn, but it's overkill just for foot traffic.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I would have thought these smaller cast stones would be more susceptible to cracking from foot traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks