What's new

Walk on the Wild Side-16:9? (1 Viewer)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know whether Walk On The Wild Side will be anamorphic? The back of the box on DVD Empire lists it as widescreen but no mention of 16:9?

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
One of my FAVE CAMP films ever.
Barbara Stanwyck as the HEAVY.
and Jane Fonda as a HOOKER, way before "KLUTE"
and Stunning Capucine as the victim, of Stanwycks
affections. What a great intro. And BROOK BENTONS
vocals for the ACADEMY NOMINATED THEME, are magnificent !!!!
Also, Anne Baxter as a Restaurant owner is a HOOT !!!!!!
And the CAT FIGHT at the beginning is GREAT !!!!!
I HOPE IT IS ANAMORPHIC, this is CAMP at its best.
And deserves a PLACE on any serious film buffs shelf.
FOR THE CAMP VALUE and THE CAST if nothing else !!!!!!!!
Oh, Laurence Harvey is the male lead !!!!!!!
GO BUY IT NOW !!!!!!!!! FOR THE MUSIC ALSO !!!!!!!!

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, it is 16:9 1.85 OAR according to the DVD Savant website, which has a review. I don't think it's as good (or as bad) as it could be but Jane Fonda, in an early role, is fresh and quite credible.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that.
I'll order a copy now. Never seen the film but it sounds fascinating.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i was looking forward to finally seeing this one, but at Columbia/TriStars woefully inappropriate msrp of $24.95, this is one i'll have to pass by.
Paramount used to get knocked for ridiculously high list prices on bare bones catalog titles, but they've seen the light.

if it were anything more than a casual purchase i would bite.
too bad, looks like fun.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Unlike AlanP, I loathe camp films. With so many good films to be viewed, why waste one's time on bad movies? I'll have to agree with Bob Cashill, Walk On The Wild Side is not bad enough to be camp and not good enough to be a quality film. It remains a highly flawed compromised film that doesn't do justice to its source material. The Nelson Algren novel it's based on deserved better. The miscasting of Laurence Harvey sealed the film's fate from day one but the fetching ladies (Capucine, Fonda, Baxter, Stanwyck, Moore) acquit themselves with dignity. It has a great Elmer Bernstein score and handsome B&W cinematography.

Despite it's failings, I'll be adding it to my collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Well Paul, you and I are in agreement. I used to buy all of Columbia releases despite their high pricing, but not anymore. It might be only a five dollar difference in pricing, but I don't like some of the things Columbia has done lately and therefore, I decided to boycott some of their product because of it. I will only buy must-have titles from them and any fringe titles I can live without.

I want this dvd, but not at this price and I won't buy the following dvds nor recommend them for purchase to others which is a shame, especially for someone like me that has 2400 dvds in his collection.
  • Fire Down Below
  • Tokyo Joe
  • The Chase

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks