What's new

Wal-Mart has just crossed the line. (1 Viewer)

Lev-S

Second Unit
I work at Future Shop and one night while stocking more 'Hulk' on our display, one of a few customers came up asking if our Widescreen copies were "alright". Not fully understanding the question, I asked for a definition of "alright". Apparently, Wal-Mart had received both Widescreen and Full Screen versions and put both on display, only to find out that all of the Widescreen labeled copies were not: They were Full Screen! Every single one of their WS copies was "defective" and they therefore would not be selling any WS at all! After checking one of our copies, he was assured that ours' must be okay. Needless to say, more smart shoppers seemed to flock to Future Shop (our city is rather small, and we are pretty much THE other store) for a certified WIDESCREEN copy of the 'Hulk'.

I wonder how many Wal-Mart customers they lost that day...:D

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I'll have to give props to the Puyallup Wal Mart - I was there today picking up Hulk (along with some sponges) and their display on the Hulk (as well as Indiana Jones) said:

Available in Widescreen (Director's vision) and Full Frame (cropped).

It's a start.

Lev-S

Second Unit
That is impressive. I attempted something similar at my work and was unfortunately shot down. Blast these retail superstores!

I have no use for Wal-Mart, Futureshop, Best Buy, etc.
How can I respect any of these stores when they have no classic, western, or foreign sections (they're just mixed in - Dances With Wolves as a drama comes to mind). Futureshop mixes Criterion titles in with "special interest" items like wrestling and exercise videos, while Best Buy nestles Criterion titles in with boxed sets!?)

I'll take any intelligent specialty shop that has far more diverse selection, has them categorized properly, will special order titles, and with employees who know the difference between Peter Jackson and Stanley Kubrick. I swear, an employee at Futureshop tried to tell me that Kubrick is considering releasing all three Lord of The Ring films as one long movie next year. That might be tough for him to do.

Please. Gimmie a specialy shop filled with movie buffs and film geeks any day of the week.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I hate any where that tries to catagorize dvd's or movies. All too often things are mixed up. I perfer just regular alphabetical order....

I noticed that my local Circuit City (or Circuit S**tty as I like to call it) had the Reloaded boxes mixed up. They had a spot marked "Widescreen" in big letters only to have that section filled with nothing but fullscreen copies. I had to dig around in the full screen section to find widescreen, then I put a few WS's in the right place.

Walmart at least carried both in plain view, although they were seperated by about 10 other dvd's. So you had Matrix2 FS, then about 5 feet over you had Matrix2 WS. Also, the FS stack was full and the WS was completely gone!

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Wal-Mart really ticked me off yesterday, they only had twenty copies of Hulk (no display or anything) and it was 20 bucks! 20 bucks! After some thought I figured it was better to buy it there than to waste yet another trip to save four bucks. They did, however, have more widescreen than fullscreen.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Wal-Mart really ticked me off yesterday, they only had twenty copies of Hulk (no display or anything) and it was 20 bucks! 20 bucks! After some thought I figured it was better to buy it there than to waste yet another trip to save four bucks. They did, however, have more widescreen than fullscreen.
My Wal-Mart had it for $20 bucks too. I have to shop there because it's the only store selling DVDs within 30 miles. But I just printed off my email from Best Buy advertising it for $15.99 and they price matched, no questions asked.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
It wsan't their fault they got shoddy merchandise, although it obviously favored your store. Hopefully someone at Walmart realized that they did indeed lose business because they didn't have the widescreen versions.

I also have to hand it to the Walmart by me. They seem to be carrying more widescreen now, and their price match policy is great.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I buy all my DVDs from Walmart. Because they seem to sell the most so we need those WS sells to remind them that's the future. And they sell them cheap as dirt.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Wal-Mart's not out of the foolscreen business just yet ! For the Indianna jones collection the display was 4 bays foolscreen and only one bay of Widescreen all the way at the bottom .....I saw someone with the foolscreen version in their cart and wanted to vomit

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks