What's new

Wal Mart 5.88 DVD sale (1 Viewer)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
A few other titles I picked up today at $5.88 I don't think have been mentioned before:

Feeling Minnesota
The Matchmaker (Janene Garofolo)
Novocaine (Steve Martin)

I was just there on Saturday and today I noticed there was already a big turnover of titles in just 3 days. This may be worth at least a weekly trip as long as it goes on. I've already got to go back and snag Hotel New Hampshire - saw it today but didn't get it because I thought I already had it - but I don't! ;)

BillyH

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, Wallie World rocks, at least sometimes. I have two local ones, each about 10 miles from my humble abode, and have hit the 5.88 bin several times. They seem to be continualy restocking them. I nabbed about a dozen discs so far, all in WS. Some of which are Blue Thunder, Freeway( Lordy, the little Reese Witherspoon is tougher then she looks!), Sleepwalkers(Stephen King, a true classic), and even a copy of Millenium and Altered States. Mind you I have had those last two for years, but at 5.88, they will make great gifts. Run, don't walk to Walmart, and do it today my fellow AV crazies. PS; Does anyone elses wife out there insist that you need to "Get a life"?

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
1. Raging Bull
2. Wings of Desire
3. E.T The Extra-Terrestrial
4. Blue Velvet
5t Hannah and Her Sisters
5t Platoon
6. Fanny and Alexander
7t Shoah
7t Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
8. Do the Right Thing
9. The Road Warrior
10 Local Hero and Terms of Endearment

Interesting list but is this directly from the magazine? Because if there is a tie for 5th the next place should be 7th, not 6th. Just like in the Olympics, when there is a tie for the Gold the next runner-up receives bronze not silver. Should be :

1. Raging Bull
2. Wings of Desire
3. E.T The Extra-Terrestrial
4. Blue Velvet
5t Hannah and Her Sisters
5t Platoon
7. Fanny and Alexander
8t. Shoah
8t. Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
10. Do the Right Thing
11. The Road Warrior
12. Local Hero and Terms of Endearment

So local hero should be tied for twelfth.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David,
same question..how's Popeye?
I finally got around to looking at these. They consist of two DVDs, each in a separate keepcase, that are "taped" together with a big, clear circular sticker at the bottom and then shruckwrapped together. The titles are:
  • When Popeye Ruled the Seven Seas
  • When Popeye Ruled the World

Both are from Goodtimes, by-the-way.

I would say that "World" is average quality, much like you would see on any TV broadcast of these cartoons. Color is drab and a bit muddy, scratches and artifacts, but nothing you can't see clearly and enjoy. It could use a remaster, yes, but then you are paying $2.94 for the one DVD ($5.88 ÷ 2). It comes with 10 cartoons, plus a bonus not mentioned on the box and which I forgot to look at (probably the same bonus as on the other disc, though).

On the other hand, "Seven Seas" is TERRIBLE. Barely watchable. It comes with 5 cartoons, plus a "bonus" that is "the making of a Popeye cartoon" (watched less than a minute of it just to see what it looked like; it seems to be one of those "inside the studio" things from the 50's-60's, which Disney was better known for making).

Of the 5 cartoons, the first 3 are color and the other 2 are black-and-white. The B&W ones are actually okay, perhaps a hair below average. The color ones get an "F". Artifacts galore, brightness comes and goes, audio is sometimes hard to make out, color is either entirely muddy or entirely faded from scene-to-scene, and in the first one there is a jittery picture to boot.

No inserts in either of these except for the same round-cornered 2-sided glossy "fat bookmark" that advertises other Goodtimes cartoon releases (Betty Boop, etc.). It's not even tall enough to reach the 2nd insert clip, and perhaps half the width of the keepcase. One in each keepcase.

The best way to look at this is "I'm paying $5.88 for 'World', and 'Seven Seas' is a freebie". If you look at it that way, it's hard to pass this up. But - unless you're a diehard Popeye fan - I would not lose any sleep over it if you miss out on these.

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator

Decent picture quality, fair sound. A no brainer for 5.88 for 2 discs if you are a fan of Superman or early animation. Havent found the Popeye yet. Jim

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If anybody can still find it, I would recommened buying
Crime & Punishment in Suburbia
I bought it solely on the "Two Thumbs Up!" on the cover.

It 's actually a good 'mature' film.
This after thinking aand seeing the front cover, that it would be another imature teen murder love story.

not a bad movie for $5.88

Plus it also has a commentary(unadvertised) by the director and actor Michael Ironside

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Just last week I was moaning to the wife how our local WalMart sucks as they won't price match BB, CC, etc because they only consider Target their competition, and noted that they don't even have a $5.88 DVD bin like all the others do.

Then I stop in and, for once, didn't have to stuggle past people just standing around in the entrance and notice the $5.88 DVD bin right at the door! Squealed in delight, I did, at finding Freeway -- which I had been planning on ordering from a cheapo online place one of these days.

Hmmm and hawed over Creepshow but ultimately put it back. Anyone care to comment on it's quality?

-paul

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
What turned me off to Creepshow was the fact that's it's in Dolby Surround as oppose to 5.1. Creepshow to me is one of the movies that well, the content was just not enough to warrant a purchase. Remember, in the words of that great actor Leslie Neilson "I can hold my breath for a very long time" :D

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Y'all! Got Poseidon Adventure in Lynn Mass. Although non-annie, my JVC autoscales it (If only Titanic were properly flagged!!!...) and it looks pretty good!
Also, got "Ghostbusters" there for $8.74!

:) D

P.S. I have Creepshow and it looks decent. Definitely worth $5.88! And 5.1 shouldn't be an issue as when it came out in '82, I believe it was just in stereo...

jimbo w

Stunt Coordinator
Creepshow definitely a buy at 5.88. Video quality isnt bad and the sound is decent with PLII on a early surround track. Always liked the movie.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The Wal-mart in Vegas added more titles to the bin.

One of which is Batman(Adam West)

Don

Second Unit
I want Batman anyone around Wisconsin Please let me know if you see it. the ones by me are putting in the same titles when they began. Don,

Mike Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
To Joe S.: Local Hero was in the bin, but with a sticker of $5.00, so it may not be part of the $5.88 group. It's an older release, but in anamorphic widescreen (standard on flip side), and it only has DD 2.0. Still it looks great and has that terrific Mark Knopfler score. I wouldn't go crazy looking for it. You can get it for $9 and change at several online sites.

To Rob K.: That's the way it was listed in Premier's Guide to Movies and Video Book, and of course you are right, it doesn't make allowances for ties. I made a complete list of all 83 titles in the proper order and posted it somewhere, but can't recall.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
Found The Misfits & Suicide Kings in the $5.88 in Toms River, NJ. Also got one of my guilty pleasures, 1941, for $9.88. Just wish it was anamorphic...

Now if they would only start a $5.88 bin for PS 2 titles...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Guys, don't forget that many of these show up at Target for $5.99, and if a couple of bucks won't kill you then check Best Buy's new $7.99-and-Under section (usually where the VHS tapes used to be! :wink: ).

Users who are viewing this thread