What's new

WAITRESS (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I was able to watch this tonight thanks to Columbus's Deep Focus Film Festival. Waitress was directed by the late Adrienne Shelly, who plays a supporting role in the film. I had seen the trailer a few times beforehand, and it looked a fun movie with the presence of Nathan Fillion. I only found out today that it was playing tonight. Waitress seems like it may only get a limited release, so I jumped at the chance to see it.

The following review may reveal spoilers, but the spoilers were revealed in the trailer.

Keri Russell plays Jenna, the waitress stuck with the stereotypical mean, controlling husband (Earl, played by Jeremy Sisto). She finds out that she's pregnant, but she's not particularly happy about it. Dr. Pomatter (Nathan Fillion) treats her throughout her pregnancy, and they have an affair. Keri and Nathan have a great chemistry, and it was always nice to see them together.

Two things brought down the movie for me:

1. Earl, a stereotype that we've seen too many times and he drags the movie down every time he's mentioned or on screen.

2. The abrupt ending. I think you'll know what I mean if you see it.

Other than those two things, the rest of the movie is terrific. Keri shined all throughout the movie with her wonderful acting, Nathan brought some of his wonderful charisma from Captain Malcolm Reynolds of Firefly/Serenity and the supporting cast is great.

Waitress is good enough for a matinee viewing or a movie rental.

Grade: B-

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I were fortunate enough to have attended the premier and after-party for the new movie "Waitress". Starring Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion and Jeremy Sisto. The movie was written, directed and acted in by the late Adrienne Shelly. She was tragically murdered in her apartment last November. The story follows Jenna (Russell) who is trapped in a love-less marriage to Earl (Sisto). She finds out she is pregnant and is not happy about it. She is also a an amazing pie maker. And makes up new pies to follow her moods. She meets her new doctor(Fillion) whom she soon develops a relationship with. The movie was very good. And I would definitely recommend it. Also look for funny performances by Eddie Jemison and Andy Griffith. This was the movie that was really going to launch Adrienne Shelly's career. What a tragic loss her death was. But, as her husband said before the movie. I am sure she is watching and smiling at the success the movie has had so far.

Here are some pics from the premier...

Nathan Fillion

Eddie Jemison, Keri Russell, the movies producer and Nathan Fillion

Not in the movie. But at the premier...

Paul Rudd

Emmanuel Chiriqui

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about the dupe thread. Michael, You will enjoy the movie. Here are some more pics from the premier & after-party...

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Thanks. She is VERY pregnant and is due in a few weeks. But, she looked great.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this film, much more than some of the recent "blockbusters" because it focused on characters, and Keri Russell does a real nice job as Jenna and creates this character that you root for, but somehow you know she's doing some odd things like putting up with a controlling husband and has a dalliance while pregnant with her new doctor. Russell made me chuckle in her line deliveries as Jenna just schlepping through life until her pregnancy produces unexpected changes in her, in spite of her non-enthusiasm for the prospects of raising a child while in a horrible marriage. What's really impressive is how easily Russell can light up the screen when it is required for her character. Oh, and how she deals with life through her pies were nice metaphors throughout the film.

True, there are some weaknesses to the film, one being the one-dimensional controlling husband (but I see it that being Jenna's point of view for him, which allows me to accept her version of the husband and what a knuckleheaded self-involved baby of a man he is really is), and the ending is a little too convenient, but the changes brought on by motherhood is a nice development, and overcome most of the shortcomings of the film.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
My wife and I finally got to see this tonight and we both thought it was the best movie we'd seen in a long, long time. I love movies that are character driven and that's exactly what this is. A wonderful script and a great cast combined to make this an enjoyable view. The theater was full and the audience was very much into it, laughing throughout and reacting audibly to the mean husband's foul deeds.

The reviews I've read have mentioned the inspired casting of Andy Griffith and I agree. Given his recent health issues this could very well prove to be his final on screen role and he gives a delightful performance that combines the folksiness of Andy Taylor with the crankiness of Ben Matlock. He also says a lot of things you wouldn't expect Andy to say. No foul language, just observations on life situations that never quite occured in Mayberry.

I'll also give a shout out to Cheryl Hines who proves she is capable of much more than just being Mrs. Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Steve

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It's not likely to happen but it would be fitting if Andy, who never was even nominated for an Emmy for either TAGS or Matlock received a best supporting actor nomination for this role.

Although not big dollars, the movie is doing decent. It is #4 on boxofficemojo's current chart.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
What a charming movie this was! Keri Russell is absolutely perfect. Adrienne Shelley (R.I.P.), Cheryl Hines and Nathan Fillion provide stellar supporting work. Andy Griffith is lovable as the crumudengly owner who really cares about people underneath. Eddie Jemison was hilarious as the dorky blind date. I bet the guy who sent himin his place on the blind date with Dawn will be getting a big birthday and Christmas present every year for the rest of his life!

The only misstep of the film was Jeremy Sisto as the one-dimensional brute of a husband. Withn 10 seconds of his appearance in the movie, I wanted to take a baseball bat to him.

Even though I had just eaten before watching the DVD, I was hungry after seeing all of those pies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks