What's new

Wagon Train rollin' in on October 7th (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While this is off-topic, the perplexing thing about this CBS/P sale at Amazon is the lack of mention of it at Amazon. I saw they have another 60% TV sale listed with many newer titles and some older but nothing that describes or listed what is discounted from the CBS/P library.

As a result, I keep running up against the deals by chance and buying more titles. One of the biggest things holding me back from ordering the Wagon Train set is that I keep finding other titles that also seem to be good deals.

For example, last night I came across the Petticoat Junction first season for $20.99. As a kid I enjoyed the episodes and since I'm having a good time with the Andy Griffith show this may be worth a buy (just to have a representative season). This morning, I found the first two season of Hawaii Five-O listed for $21 each.

Others are Starsky and Hutch, getting the Fugitive S2V1 so I can get the replacements disks out of the way ($21). Then there are all the MASH episodes for $15.50. I picked up the first two season at Target for $20 total now I feel funny not having the series (I don't like the full collection for how it stores the disks). Not to forget maybe a season or so of I Love Lucy as a representation of that series.

What to do...what to do. What do they think I'm made of, money?

Two years ago, I never expected to have any of these old TV sets. Now I having to put of a new wall of shelving just to contain them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Bob, great minds think alike. Last week when I noticed the Timeless releases going on sale at Amazon my first thought was to purchase the "Going West" release for what I estimated would be about $15 but found the same thing you did - a link that told me the series was being discontinued. Very disappointing.

Gary "definitely seems like this particular set is quickly becoming a rarity" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

That's a steal on those sets. These are complete seasons (well, almost, season 2 is missing the episode "Bored She Hung Herself"), but the transfers are top notch and the show is consistently engaging. If I didn't already have these in my collection, I'd jump on these two. The reason why you aren't seeing any highlighting of the CBS Paramount titles is that they're part of the bigger classic TV sale at Amazon. But as others have said here, the CBS Paramount titles don't go on sale all that often so when they do, you have to take advantage.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

Actually, if you go to Amazon they have two links for it now. One with a picture that says it is discountued and one with out that from what I recall is selling it for $13.99.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
What's the specific rundown of episodes on that set? I had assumed it consisted of the same episodes from the B/W era that were in the big set.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith

My understanding was that there is no crossover. These are different episodes. My only issue is why when they put these types of sets together can't they at least put them in order by release. For example, the set starts with an episode from season 8 then bounces back to season 4.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Very interesting. That second listing wasn't there last week when I looked this set up. Only the one Bob linked. This second one (sans picture) says 1-3 weeks before shipping. I've gone ahead and ordered it anyhow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I actually get the set. For that price you can't beat it.

Thanks for that update, Brad. Amazon can be really curious at times with things like this.

Gary "not quite sure what to make of this" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
OK, now I see why there are two listings for this dvd. If you look closely at both, you'll notice that the one that's up and running (1-3 week delivery) lists the studio as Timeless itself. This probably means that Amazon would be direct ordering from Timeless to get the set and then send it out. The other link (the one that says the set is discontinued) lists the studio as EDI. EDI Video is the distributor for the Timeless stuff that goes out to some of the other etailers like CD Universe and DVDPacific. In fact, if you want to search for Timeless releases at the DVDPacific website you have to look under EDI as the studio name, not Timeless. Same for CD Universe. So it appears that Amazon is hooked up with two different sources for this release and therefore has two different listings for it.

Gary "once I compared the studio listings the mystery was solved" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Another unusual thing with Amazon recently. In the last two weeks I checked for Big Valley Season 2, Volume 1 to see if I could get it during this run of sale items. They showed it as discontinued, so I checked a few others places and not many listed it anymore. So I quickly picked it up from DD for about $23 to get it before it was gone for good.

Today Amamzon has it back on the site again, on sale for $12.49. Go figure. Oh well, I've been getting a lot of good deals this past two weeks. I guess you can't win them all.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I guess now I'm going to spring for the megaset afterall. Jeff, I take it that these are at least as good if not better than the MPI "Rifleman" sets?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While you can still order the Wagon Train color season megaset at Amazon on sale, it is currently listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock". We will see if they get more in and can fullfill and follow on orders.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack

I had a few weeks back seen one copy of this at the local Best Buy for $19.99 but not knowing until today it was different episodes didn't get it. After this thread, I rectified that and snatched it off the shelf! (the six dollar difference means nothing when I can have it right away)

With my committment to exploring this show and HGWT, that leaves no room alas for doing any exploring of "Rawhide" (sorry, Gary!) anytime soon. Non-western freaks like me can only sample so many at once!

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
There was supposed to be a 3rd Timeless video DVD set release of Wagon Train of the B/W episodes.

Has anyone heard more about this & spcefically as to
what episodes will be on it.

Thanks

Larry Tate
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Mike, sorry for the delay in reply here.

I haven't seen the B/W episodes in this set yet but after viewing 3 of the color eps, I'd rate the transfers a little better than the Rifleman xfrs. That said, there's very little film "defects" (imo) in these xfrs. I define defects as those "Route 66 S1V1" defects. The Wagon Train color xfrs, so far, to me, are very watchable. There's some color-fading, etc, that you'd expect from prints from this era, presumably not remastered. I only wish other excellent shows (M Squad, Route 66S1V1, Room 222) looked this good. This is all IMO, just restating that one for those that disagree (ie Room 222....a shame to me, that a show as good as R222 had to make do with no remastering).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Well, as mentioned earlier I pickied up "Wagon Train - Going West" a few weeks back to see how it was before committing to the full color season. I watched the 2nd and 3rd episodes off disk 1 (the first episode was from season 8 while the others from season 4). While not bad, with all the other westerns I'm currently going through and other items that have been on sale from CBS/P, I decided to pass on the color season. I had also seen an episode from an earlier season and though I'd hold out for the Bond era, if ever to come to DVD.

Well this past week I had to be at the hospital for a few hours so I looked for something to watch on a portable player. I wanted something I wouldn't miss not watching on the big screen. So I selected Wagon Train. Boy did I give this show a raw deal. I watched two episodes at the hospital, two more that evening, and a couple more spread across the last few nights.

What a really great show. I had read that the main characters are typically not the focus but that it was a great opportunity for guest stars to shine, and it is true. I did a complete reversal and ordered the color season. It should be here by Saturday which will give me a chance to finish the remaining episodes of "Going West". I sure hope the color season holds a candle to the b/w episodes from seasons 4-6. I'm also looking forward to more of the b/w episodes.

Just goes to show you really have to give a show an adequate chance before making snap judgements. Reading this forum has cost me a bunch of money, but I have accumulated quite a collection of TV shows I can enjoy for a very long time off the recommendations found here.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
You're going to love the color set - Absolutely wonderful! I had never seen this show before either, and I'm in love with it. The bonus disc with Scott Miller and Robert Fuller is also fantastic. It is worth every penny spent.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

You'll be happy to know that there are some Ward Bond episodes among the black & white bonus episodes on the "big" Wagon Train set. I just received the set this week from Amazon and am starting with the b&w episodes first before proceeding to the color eps. The interviews with Denny Miller and Robert Fuller are informative and fun; both men are very down-to-earth. Enjoy!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Now the really difficult part, fitting it into the rotation.

After buying Perry Mason, the Fugitive, and the Untouchables I was able to immediately put them in the watch later list because I didn't start watching any episodes yet. I still have about 10 shows in my current rotation. I slipped in the Superman 1948/1950 serial (really enjoying by btw, even like the animation), which should be done tonight, because it is short enough to get in and then out. But Wagon Train could be there for a while. Juggling all these series at once gets tricky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks