What's new

W-LAN problem. (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have an old PC (running W2k) connected to a Netgear WNR2000 N-band wireless router and an ACER laptop running Vista, wirelessly connected to the Netgear router. I have some kind of Webstar cable modem to my Cable provider (Cablevision in NJ). I've noticed every now and then, the router will seemingly "shut off". It has a power switch that I can turn off and on but what I've seen happen is that all the lights on the front just shut off, and I lose the network and of course, my internet connection. All the lights, including the power light. After a short bit, it will automatically power itself on and pick up my PC and then start the wireless broadcasting and I get the network up and running.. but it does this on occasion and it's frustrating. I am not sure what the problem could be, if any. For all I know it could be Cablevision, and I'm currious if anybody else has seen this before, before I try to contact Netgear. I couldn't find anything pertinent on their FAQ or support site... Anybody seen this before or have an idea of what the problem (if any) I have?

Jay

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If the Netgear device is completely powering off, I doubt the problem has anything to do with Cablevision. It sounds like a bad power supply in the Netgear router.

don monteith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don Monteith
I agree. There is no way a signal from the cable company can shut down your router. It may be getting hot or the power supply is going out. If you want to test it, try removing everything from the router other than the power. Then if it shuts down again you will know for sure it is just the router. Do it at night so it doesn't interrupt normal use. Also, routers are really cheap. If at all possible, I would just get a new one and be done with it.

Don

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Thanks, I sent a technical inquiry to Netgear and will wait for their response, it has a 1 year anniversary which will occur on Jan, 2010 so if it is indeed an internal power supply problem, then I think I should get a new one. My cable modem remains powered and they're all connected to the same outlet/surge protector. It doesn't seem to happen when I'm not on my laptop, but like you guys said, I can't see any tecnical reason for the cablemodem or so causing the power to go out, assuming it is indeed a power problem.

Will see what Netgear has to say, thanks!

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Netgear sent me a reply awhile ago, basically said to update the firmware, save the settings, do a master reset and plug it into another outlet. So I tried the other outlet, even on a different circuit and the other day, it died and doesn't repower so sounds like it's dead and I just sent it back to Netgear for a warantee replacement... Hope that solves that...

Jay

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I was having almost the exact same problem with a Linksys wireless router (WRT-54G) and just replaced it with a newer model (WRT-54G2).

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, Netgear quickly sent me a new router (quite impressed with the speed of service), but they didn't send me a power supply.. d'oh so they are sending me one that should arrive today. We'll see if that fixes the problem....... I sent them the power supply thinking it could be defective, but they didn't return the favor!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks